Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 07-27-2007, 02:55 AM   #16
Barge FTA
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Katsidis as compared to Mundine

Briggs, Darchinyan, Green, Kostya & Mundine are 5 Australian fighters ahead of Katsidis right now. Katsidis would come in ahead of Lovemore N'dou and Gairy St Clair though.
Barge FTA is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2007, 02:58 AM   #17
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barge FTA
Briggs, Darchinyan, Green, Kostya & Mundine are 5 Australian fighters ahead of Katsidis right now. Katsidis would come in ahead of Lovemore N'dou and Gairy St Clair though.
I didn't know Kostya was still fighting? I was comparing only two of them also in terms of recognition on an international level. Katsidis is discussed much more then Mundine in the general, and due to his international exposure he would be the bigger name ATM in the US and UK. He captured a lot of attention with his exciting style.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 03:04 AM   #18
boxa01
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

It would be good to see mundine step it up and fight some big names but i think any of us in his situation would fight the bums aswell when khodder is making him the money he makes why would u take risks
boxa01 is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 03:08 AM   #19
Barge FTA
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR
I didn't know Kostya was still fighting? I was comparing only two of them also in terms of recognition on an international level. Katsidis is discussed much more then Mundine in the general, and due to his international exposure he would be the bigger name ATM in the US and UK. He captured a lot of attention with his exciting style.
Kostya was interviewed on Fox Sports today and he said he hasn't retired. he is waiting for the right offer. he mentioned a possible rematch with Ricky Hatton or even a fight with ODLH. He said he only wants the big names and will not fight again unless the offer is right.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:09 AM   #20
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Kostya was interviewed on Fox Sports today and he said he hasn't retired. he is waiting for the right offer. he mentioned a possible rematch with Ricky Hatton or even a fight with ODLH. He said he only wants the big names and will not fight again unless the offer is right.
Really? I am actually sorry to hear that. I hope he stays retired he has nothing left to prove.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 03:14 AM   #21
Barge FTA
Contender
ESB Senior Member

i can't see any offer coming to the table. Unless Hatton grants a rematch, i can't see any big names bothering with Kostya anymore. i forgot, he also metioned Sugar Shane Mosley as a possibility.

Sugar, Oscar or Ricky..... anyone think any of these guys would go near Kostya anymore?
Old 07-27-2007, 03:16 AM   #22
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
i can't see any offer coming to the table. Unless Hatton grants a rematch, i can't see any big names bothering with Kostya anymore. i forgot, he also metioned Sugar Shane Mosley as a possibility.

Sugar, Oscar or Ricky..... anyone think any of these guys would go near Kostya anymore?
Oscar probably would. To be honest unless he really gets in tip top shape I can't see him winning here. He has been out of the ring for ages. I know he has done it before, but as he gets older and older it is only going to become harder for him. I would like to see him rematch Hatton and fight smart. I think he could beat Hatton.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 03:31 AM   #23
deram
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I like Katsidis and I was one of the first - maybe the first - to really write about him in here a couple of years ago.

However, it should be obvious that he does not (yet perhaps) have the accomplishments to rival Mundine. In fact he still has quite a way to go.

However, since boxing in the US is in crisis with much of HBO and Showtime's audience made up of wetb... I mean Mexican-Americans, the TV-companies will cater to these people by giving more attention to the divisions where they have a chance. Which is the smaller divisions.

Had Katsidis does exactly what he has done, but at SMW, LHW or CW.. he would have gotten far less American attention (if any at all). Now he gets attention because he is a future opponent of the small fighters which is their bread and butter currently. They expect to build him up and feed him to their "own" fighters so that their fighters will have beaten another 'great' fighter.

Last edited by Scar; 03-30-2006 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Posting "uploaded" boxing videos aren't allowed.
deram is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 04:08 AM   #24
PorkChopExpress
Champion of the Universe
ESB Senior Member

Money, the state of the SMW division (if it was as prominent in the US as the more popular divisions over there would be no way to reach the upper echelons top with out fighting there), quite simply Mundine hasn't gotten the exposure over there as Kat and there's not much opportunity in that division now. He can make more money here and even in Europe than the US. His style isn't as crowd pleasing as Kat's who's is probably the most universally liked style (by spectators and casual fans atleast)...

I think he should definitely start fighting out of Oz and taking the bigger challenges like anyone should... but to expect him to crack the US like Kat is something very few fighters (even in the US) could achieve.
PorkChopExpress is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 04:10 AM   #25
PorkChopExpress
Champion of the Universe
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR
Really? I am actually sorry to hear that. I hope he stays retired he has nothing left to prove.
I agree and disagree.. there's always a chance he's got some decent fuel left in the tank. Look what Hopkins just did to Winky! Though activity would have alot to do with that.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:33 AM   #26
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Mundines head is way 2 big to fight on an under card...he must be the star or he wont be interested.

With rockys last two wars he get the nod in popularity.
ashley is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 05:25 AM   #27
EelsRule
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

This thread really does seem to be about establishing Katsidis as the alternative to Darchinian who has now fallen. Darch is gone, Kats must be next best. Lets establish that line of thinking.
Kats has a profile in the US while Mundine doesnt thats all. No big deal.
EelsRule is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 05:45 AM   #28
PorkChopExpress
Champion of the Universe
ESB Senior Member

Vic aint done... you don't get as far as he did with pot luck. There is still an interest in him and he will always have passionate fans/non fans cuz of his style.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:07 AM   #29
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Before Vic's last fight he was the best....one loss and he sux...how is this so?
ashley is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 09:06 AM   #30
VIP
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 345

Yes, Katsidis has gained a lot more exposure particularly in the mecca of boxing, USA. He is willing to travel and is willing to make for exciting fights even if it does mean taking a lot of punishment. Mundine is way ahead of him though in terms of boxing skills and even accomplishments, beaten the better opposition.

I think people realy have a hard time believing that Mundine is the best Aussie fighter out so are looking for any other hopefuls they can jump on a bandwagon to.

The thing with Vic is that it's not only that he lost, but how and who he lost to. He was really exposed in that fight against a guy noone really knew before that fight. If you look at Nonito Donaires' record you see he had never fought any top opposition before and had been fighting journeyman type fighters. He was obviously a better fighter than his record showed though and only needed the oppurtunity and certainly took it. Possibly the upset of the year and KO of the year as well.
VIP is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum