Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-07-2008, 03:37 AM   #1
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Sibson vs. Roldan

The respective versions of themselves before being broken down by Marvin....
laxpdx is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2008, 04:56 AM   #2
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 224
Default Re: Sibson vs. Roldan

Sibson would give it his all, but would fall ever so slightly short, in one fun brawl.

Roldan WS15 (8-7)
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 05:18 AM   #3
Dave's Top Ten
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I wish this fight could have happened. I think Sibbo may have edged it with his better boxing skills.
Dave's Top Ten is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxpdx
The respective versions of themselves before being broken down by Marvin....
Roldan looked better against Hagler than Sibson did ,Tony gave a sub par performance .Roldan's handspeed,and unpredictable movement threw Hagler off a bit.Based on their performances against Marvin I would pick Roldan,based on their best nights ,and I saw a lot of Sibson from ringside,I would pick Sibbo by ko.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 06:50 AM   #5
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey
Roldan looked better against Hagler than Sibson did ,Tony gave a sub par performance .Roldan's handspeed,and unpredictable movement threw Hagler off a bit.Based on their performances against Marvin I would pick Roldan,based on their best nights ,and I saw a lot of Sibson from ringside,I would pick Sibbo by ko.
You think Sibson digged hard enough to stop a world class chin (at his best) in Roldan?

I just think although capable of winning in a boxing match, Sibbo would not be able to resist fighting in the trenches with Roldan, and then I say it is Roldan's fight to lose.

Sibson probably was not at his best the night he fought Hagler, but Hagler was at his Marvelous (championship) best that night, and probably put in his worse (championship) winning performance against Roldan.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 06:57 AM   #6
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Hagler was still prime for Sibson and starting to be shopworn by the time he fought Juan ... man that was a wild fight....

tough brawl here ... one I wold have loved to have seen ...remember Roldan flattening Fletcher ? Brutal !
he grant is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
You think Sibson digged hard enough to stop a world class chin (at his best) in Roldan?

I just think although capable of winning in a boxing match, Sibbo would not be able to resist fighting in the trenches with Roldan, and then I say it is Roldan's fight to lose.

Sibson probably was not at his best the night he fought Hagler, but Hagler was at his Marvelous (championship) best that night, and probably put in his worse (championship) winning performance against Roldan.
Yes I think Sibbo hit harder with his left than Roldan did with his right,plus he had better skills.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #8
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I see this as a 10 round non-title fight. Great fight, but I actually think Sibson was more well rounded than Roldan. I don't think there's a knockout either way, so i'll say Sibosn by decision.

p.s. Hagler was awesome the night he fought Sibson.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 09:52 AM   #9
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think Sibbo could do it, he is much more versatile and harder hitting then Flether, Jaun was more of a Constant Attacker, Sibson, for a shiort Stocky guy, could Move and had a hard Jab, of Course it was the Hook off the Jab that opponents had to worry about with Sibbo, and not just Isolated Hooks, when he unloaded he could fire very fast hurtful combinations, Juan was very Stong and would pressurise, so Sibson would not need to persue in his usual "Rolling Thunder" way
Just Cut Loose when Juan has him Cornered, And Sibbo might breed an Element of Caution into Jaun, which would/could Allow Sibbo to keep ahead with his underated boxing ability, But Sibbo mush get the Fight / Box mix right to succeed

I remember a young Sibbo up Against a rampant Frankie Wildman Lucas, With Frankie looking and Hooking to to Run the young Sibbo out of the Ring, Just when it looked like Frankie had got the Yongster where he wanted him "Boom" a Sibbo Left Hook Dropped Lucas and a few Token Follow up punches was all it took for the dramatic 5th round win..

This to some extent is what i can see happening, Jaun getting Dropped with A Sibbo Shot out of The Blue, Juan was tough so he could survive, but in against a Mature Sibbo, it could be that Every time he Tries to Exchange with Sibbo he Gets the worst iof it with the quick Handed Briton, and perhaps as the fight goes on does not fully commit to all out attack ? I think a Fully on his Game Sibbo (Ala John Collins or Minter Matches) can win on points in a tough encounter, Home advantage may make the win more decisive. but would go for Clear points with perhaps a shocked Jaun having to pick himself off the canvas at least once, and hopeing for Sibbo to run out of Steam in the second half when does not happen.
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
Dave's Top Ten
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey
Yes I think Sibbo hit harder with his left than Roldan did with his right,plus he had better skills.
I read an interview with Hagler recently and he was asked about who hit him the hardest. He actually mentioned Sibson and said Tony hit him with a left hook that " he still thinks about ". Having seen the fight several times, I struggled to think of Hagler getting hit with a decent shot the whole fight. However, take a look at the end of round 5. I think that's what Hagler's talking about. Sibson is taking a bit a of a shellacking and then explodes a quick left hook which knocks Hagler back a step or two. Then Hagler responds and there's one or two after the bell shots.

Underlines the power that Sibson had.
Dave's Top Ten is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Sibson was a badass in a poor mans Ruben Olivares mold.

He could throw some insane quick combinations.Triple-left-hooks, followed by doubled up right-hands after rolling under the counter etc.

It shows how good Hagler was at the time that he could dominate fighters like sibson.There were fighters at the time that reigned for a while and are far higher regarded that would have been beaten from pillar to post by someone like Sibbo.
Mantequilla is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum