Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 03:54 AM   #1
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,386
vCash: 1000
Default Napoles vs. DLH

Can Oscar melt this slab of butter before it gives him a fatal cholesterol problem?
laxpdx is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2008, 05:10 AM   #2
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,592
vCash: 469
Default Re: Napoles vs. DLH

Yes, I think style wise (Napoles is higher up in the all-time 147lbs list) de la Hoya causes Napoles all sorts of problems. de la Hoya seemed to have the sort of punches that could cause Napoles to be ripped open.

I think in a bloody battle, Oscar makes a super fast start, maybe flooring Napoles early, cutting him up as the fight goes on, but Napoles getting more into it. de la Hoya wins an epic final round to put the cherry on the cake in a classic boxing fight.

de la Hoya WU15 (143/141)
TBooze is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:08 AM   #3
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Napoles vs. DLH

I really think that Oscar doesnt beat the elite of history, i feel strongly about this and have discussed it a few times, no doubt SuzieQ will be here when he sees this post!!!

Anyway, for me, Napoles is too good, i wont even get into the styles matchup, the only thing Oscar has going for him imo is that Napoles is a small welter.
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:23 AM   #4
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,545
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Napoles vs. DLH

Oscar never had the elite level accuracy/timing or defense to win this. Every time Oscar faced a skillfull boxer type he came unstuck:

Old Whitaker - Whitaker won but Close Call, Oscar was made to look foolish missing so much

Ring Rusty Quartey - Gift, OScar takes flush jabs and rights all night, every round and misses far too much but a great finnish

Mosley 1 - 8-4 Mosley the faster more compact puncher with better timing

Mosley 2 - close I've watched it both times and scored it either way, Mosley landing the better shots, Oscar landing more

Sturm - finally fights a bigger man and picked apart

Hopkins (OLD) - yet again made to miss and his opponent lands the flusher shots. This time he doesn't have a size advantage to absorb the opponents flusher shots

SMALL Mayweather (15lb weight advantage)- 9-3 Mayweather again makes Oscar look amateurish throwing 6-8 punch combos and missing them all

What did all those fights have in common? Oscar missed most of his punches and ate flush shots, flusher shots than he landed. Facing 1 of the best of these types ever he loses because he simply isn't a skilled enough boxer
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:44 AM   #5
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Martha's Vineyard
Posts: 13,062
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Napoles vs. DLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher
Oscar never had the elite level accuracy/timing or defense to win this. Every time Oscar faced a skillfull boxer type he came unstuck:

Old Whitaker - Whitaker won but Close Call, Oscar was made to look foolish missing so much

Ring Rusty Quartey - Gift, OScar takes flush jabs and rights all night, every round and misses far too much but a great finnish

Mosley 1 - 8-4 Mosley the faster more compact puncher with better timing

Mosley 2 - close I've watched it both times and scored it either way, Mosley landing the better shots, Oscar landing more

Sturm - finally fights a bigger man and picked apart

Hopkins (OLD) - yet again made to miss and his opponent lands the flusher shots. This time he doesn't have a size advantage to absorb the opponents flusher shots

SMALL Mayweather (15lb weight advantage)- 9-3 Mayweather again makes Oscar look amateurish throwing 6-8 punch combos and missing them all

What did all those fights have in common? Oscar missed most of his punches and ate flush shots, flusher shots than he landed. Facing 1 of the best of these types ever he loses because he simply isn't a skilled enough boxer


SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Napoles vs. DLH

Napoles: UD.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:47 AM   #7
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Martha's Vineyard
Posts: 13,062
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Napoles vs. DLH

Two things that need to be said......


1. Oscar fought the best of his era in 2 different decades and even in his losses, NO ONE EVER OUTCLASSED him, his losing efforts against elite were all very close on the scorecards. the same cannot be said of fighters like sugar shane mosely who twice got outclassed and embarrased by vernon forrest(a non great fighter) and twice outclassed by winky wright(especially first fight). so point is, i dont see it being an easy fight for jose.

2. Oscar is a phenominal combination puncher and sharp hitter that caused cuts, he ripped fighters faces open. Napoles has to be careful since he cuts easily.


Thats said, I think oscar was a little too stiff for napoles, and napoles would get into his rythmic mechanical rythm and slowly take over the fight late and win a close 9 rounds to 6 decision over oscar, barring oscar doesnt stop him on cuts.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Napoles vs. DLH

Nice overview Suzie. Oscar would be game but he'd lose a decision IMO.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,545
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Napoles vs. DLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
Two things that need to be said......

1. Oscar fought the best of his era in 2 different decades and even in his losses, NO ONE EVER OUTCLASSED him, his losing efforts against elite were all very close on the scorecards. the same cannot be said of fighters like sugar shane mosely who twice got outclassed and embarrased by vernon forrest(a non great fighter) and twice outclassed by winky wright(especially first fight). so point is, i dont see it being an easy fight for jose.

2. Oscar is a phenominal combination puncher and sharp hitter that caused cuts, he ripped fighters faces open. Napoles has to be careful since he cuts easily.

Thats said, I think oscar was a little too stiff for napoles, and napoles would get into his rythmic mechanical rythm and slowly take over the fight late and win a close 9 rounds to 6 decision over oscar, barring oscar doesnt stop him on cuts.
1. Nice to see you completely contradicting yourself. Oscar faced EVERYONE and held his own except for the 2 men who twice outclassed the man who beat him twice

2. Oscar isnt a phenomenal combination puncher, he fluries, this isnt the same, if you want to see a phenomenal combination puncher who can punch from any angle instead of linear stiff telegraphed manouvers, see the superior Welterweight hes facing in this thread.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:06 AM   #10
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Napoles vs. DLH

Im not taking sides, but ive gotta say the word 'phenomenal' whend describing Oscar's combos isnt right. Gavilan, Robinson, Napoles, these are the best combo punchers in welter history, when we put Oscar in this company h2h, i have him losin everytime.
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #11
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,746
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Napoles vs. DLH

Oscar would probably cut Napoles but I don't think enough to stop him. Napoles was so smooth and would be on Oscar's doorstep all night. I think he'd get this fight at a distance Oscar isn't comfortable with and punish him. Napoles decision win over 12. 15, never saw Oscar deal with that, maybe a stoppage.
natonic is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #12
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Napoles vs. DLH

I think it would be interesting styles-wise, but I do believe Napoles was the better overall boxer for sure. Napoles by UD something like 7-5 or 8-4 over 12, probably 10-5 or so over 15. Then again given Oscar's cardio problems I'm not sure he could go 15 against a fighter like Napoles who was usually so strong down the stretch. I definitely can't see Oscar knocking Napoles down as TBooze suggessted, given his impeccable balance and great chin.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #13
bigtime-skills
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Heart of Champions
Posts: 1,205
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Napoles vs. DLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes' Jab
Nice overview Suzie. Oscar would be game but he'd lose a decision IMO.
The story of this guys career.........He's not Legendary, just POPULAR..
bigtime-skills is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:58 AM   #14
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Martha's Vineyard
Posts: 13,062
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Napoles vs. DLH

Quote:
1. Nice to see you completely contradicting yourself. Oscar faced EVERYONE and held his own except for the 2 men who twice outclassed the man who beat him twice

Moseley is a very good fighter, he beat oscar the first time in a great fight. However, Anyone who thought Moseley won the 2nd fight is either a hater, or blind. It was a clear oscar win a total robbery. I think harold lederman had it something like oscar de la hoya up 7 rounds to 1 after 8. My final scorecard was a clear 116-113 win for oscar. oscar won 7 clear rounds, and i think im being generous to shane, many of his rounds he won were close enough to give to oscar. O BTW, shane admitted he used steroids for that fight. NOT THE FIRST TIME oscar beat a top ranked contender on steroids.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #15
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Martha's Vineyard
Posts: 13,062
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Napoles vs. DLH

Quote:
2. Oscar isnt a phenomenal combination puncher, he fluries, this isnt the same, if you want to see a phenomenal combination puncher who can punch from any angle instead of linear stiff telegraphed manouvers, see the superior Welterweight hes facing in this thread.

oscar telegrehed punches? its clear i cant take you seriousely anymore when it comes to oscar. oscar was as sharp and fluid a puncher as it gets.


oscar flurries, but he also throws combinations in his prime 3-5 punch combos that were extremley accurate and rolled off his shoulder in fluid fashion, he would change up his combination from time to time, mixing in a few uppercuts here and there and following it up with straight right.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013