Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-07-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Sugar Ray Leonard - Great fighter.

In the mist of so many criticisms, let's dedicate a thread to the fighter, and not the business man. Say something nice about the Sugar man.

I'll start us off.

He was one of the greatest finishers of all time, and would very rarely let his opponent off the hook. He was an underrated puncher, being the first man to ever stop and defeat all-time greats Wilfred Benitez, and Thomas Hearns. He had a great chin also, taking shots from middleweight king Marvin Hagler, and one of the greatest punchers of the 80s, Thomas Hearns.

Sugar Ray Leonard to me is the definition of a fighter who had it all. He never abandoned the body, had super fast hands, a great chin, one of the greatest finishers of all time, and had a champions heart in his comeback wins against Hearns and his return fight with Roberto Duran. What a fighter. Here is a highlight video we can all enjoy.

BORKED
Addie is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sugar Ray Leonard - Great fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfkill
In the mist of so many criticisms, let's dedicate a thread to the fighter, and not the business man. Say something nice about the Sugar man.

I'll start us off.

He was one of the greatest finishers of all time, and would very rarely let his opponent off the hook. He was an underrated puncher, being the first man to ever stop and defeat all-time greats Wilfred Benitez, and Thomas Hearns. He had a great chin also, taking shots from middleweight king Marvin Hagler, and one of the greatest punchers of the 80s, Thomas Hearns.

Sugar Ray Leonard to me is the definition of a fighter who had it all. He never abandoned the body, had super fast hands, a great chin, one of the greatest finishers of all time, and had a champions heart in his comeback wins against Hearns and his return fight with Roberto Duran. What a fighter. Here is a highlight video we can all enjoy.

BORKED
He might have been the most complete fighter since SRR. Too bad the eye injury robbed him (and us) of his best years. Otherwise, I think many would have him at top 5 or even top 3 p4p.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

One of the most complete fighters I've ever seen. Always exciting to watch, fantastic finisher, and perhaps the smartest boxer of all-time (possibly in the ring, and quite clearly outside the ring). Considering he had 40 fights and a prime the was limited to 6 years, the fact that he has the scalps of 4 of the greatest fighters of all-time on his resume is marvelous. Very, very few fighters since the 70's can claim as much. Not to mention, he rallied back while down on points and his eye sealed shut to stop Hearns in an epic fight, thus overcoming formidable adversity and proving his greatness, a feat that several so called great fighters have never done. Personally, I don't see how anyone rates him outside of the top 15 all-time.

Also, as an amateur, he may well have been the best ever.
the cobra is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
SorceryatCaesar
Leonard-Hagler author
ESB Jr Member

student of the Fight Game.
he studied film of opponents.
great stamina.
SorceryatCaesar is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
AliFrazier71
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

One of my favorites of all time. Im sure Redrooster will have something to say about this subject
AliFrazier71 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
jimmie
Champion
East Side Guru

Hes such a joy for me to watch hes such a incredible offensive fighter noboddy ever talks about his body punching but watch it hes fantastic at it and the man has great finishing ability.
jimmie is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

His early wins/demolitions of solid solid fighters is usually ignored almost completely, which is a shame.

He was damned active the first few years and went on a real reign of terror.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
jimmie
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
His early wins/demolitions of solid solid fighters is usually ignored almost completely, which is a shame.

Agreed for years I only seen his major fights like Bentiez,Hagler,Duran,Hearns but about a year ago I started watching youtube videos of him fighting and destroying solid guys like Green,Kalule ETC.
jimmie is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie
Agreed for years I only seen his major fights like Bentiez,Hagler,Duran,Hearns but about a year ago I started watching youtube videos of him fighting and destroying solid guys like Green,Kalule ETC.
The destruction of Davey Boy Green is brutal, and is a testament to Leonard's underrated puncing power.

That knockout will always stay in mind after the initial viewing.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #10
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliFrazier71
One of my favorites of all time. Im sure Redrooster will have something to say about this subject
I think it would be discraceful for RedRooster to come into this thread and talk his usual BS.

This is specifically to talk postively about the man, there are a hundred other threads on ESB that were designed to talk about the myth of Leonard.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #11
AliFrazier71
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:

Excellent point! His one round destruction of Andy "the hawk" Price" is an underrated performance, and one that shows, how special of a fighter Leonard truly was. Only the great ones dispense with good, quality, opponents so easily and effortlessly.
AliFrazier71 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #12
Dave's Top Ten
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Tremendous fighter, fantastic to watch and one of the true stars of boxing which we're sadly lacking today.

Somewhat overated in the greatness stakes, but naturally enough seeing as he was so well loved, charismatic and manipulative of the sport and it's participants.
Dave's Top Ten is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #13
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's Top Ten
Tremendous fighter, fantastic to watch and one of the true stars of boxing which we're sadly lacking today.

Somewhat overated in the greatness stakes, but naturally enough seeing as he was so well loved, charismatic and manipulative of the sport and it's participants.
I'll ignore the last paragraph. It is garbage, otherwise good points.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #14
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

..............Without SRL, Rooster's life would seem empty and meaningless.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #15
Dave's Top Ten
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfkill
I'll ignore the last paragraph. It is garbage, otherwise good points.
Im not sure how you can say it's garbage. I don't see that I'm saying anything outrageous or obviously false. It's called having a balanced view.
Dave's Top Ten is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum