Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #16
Dave's Top Ten
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sugar Ray Leonard - Great fighter.

Otherwise it's just a nuthugging thread, which is a bit drab dont you think?
Dave's Top Ten is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #17
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's Top Ten
Im not sure how you can say it's garbage. I don't see that I'm saying anything outrageous or obviously false. It's called having a balanced view.
Sugar Ray Leonard's greatness isn't overrated. He is usually placed outside of the top 15 on most P4P all time lists, which is where he arguably belongs. I'd argue that he is top 15 easily, with his signature wins and overall skillset.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #18
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Otherwise it's just a nuthugging thread, which is a bit drab dont you think?
Drab perhaps, but we're talking Boxing. If you want to discredit Sugar Ray, let's discuss how sometimes he would hold his hands to low, or how he went on far to long like most the great fighters of the past.

I think all of that shit outside of the ring is bullshit, and I clearly stated in the opening post, that if you want to discuss that, leave it for another thread. There are plenty to choose from.
Addie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #19
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Somewhat overated in the greatness stakes, but naturally enough seeing as he was so well loved, charismatic and manipulative of the sport and it's participants.
If Leonard manipulated the sport and his opponents, it's because he could. He had the smarts and savvy to do so. It was good to see somebody not get screwed over by Don King. I don't hold that against him, nor do I hold your opinions against you .
natonic is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #20
Dave's Top Ten
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfkill
Drab perhaps, but we're talking Boxing. If you want to discredit Sugar Ray, let's discuss how sometimes he would hold his hands to low, or how he went on far to long like most the great fighters of the past.

I think all of that shit outside of the ring is bullshit, and I clearly stated in the opening post, that if you want to discuss that, leave it for another thread. There are plenty to choose from.
Deepest apologies mate. Enjoy your nuthugging !!
Old 08-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #21
Dave's Top Ten
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic
If Leonard manipulated the sport and his opponents, it's because he could. He had the smarts and savvy to do so. It was good to see somebody not get screwed over by Don King. I don't hold that against him, nor do I hold your opinions against you .
I agree, more boxers should be like Leonard - controlling their careers and making the most of it while they can. My point is, as much as I admire Leonards skills and tenacity (he is one of the most determined fighters I think I've seen) I find it very hard to rate his greatness as there were a number of fights he should have had at certain times, and for one reason or another, he didn't. After he retired he had a certain standing in boxing history. After his exploits from '87 onward he seems to have risen to even greater heights which I think is wrong as all he did was take on boxers who should have been retired already.

I better keep quiet now or I'll get in trouble with Selfkill. Peace
Old 08-07-2008, 10:00 PM   #22
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Greatest fighter of his era even with the breaks. Second greatest fighter of the Fab 4 historically and obviously the top dog H2H in their series.

He'd prolly make 10-15 for me with Duran 5 - 10.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #23
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

This thread is probably the equivilant of the stink bait that I used to lure cat fish last weekend, when hunting and trapping the north American Red Rooster.

mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 10:11 PM   #24
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I hate it when people whine about Leonard ducking certain fighters. Seriously, you can make this claim about almost any fighter, and his top wins are as impressive if not moreso than pretty much any boxer in the history of the sport.

Yes, the man had his flaws outside of the ring, but inside the ring he was without question one of the most complete boxers there's ever been.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 10:12 PM   #25
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo

This thread is probably the equivilant of the stink bait that I used to lure cat fish last weekend, when hunting and trapping the north American Red Rooster.

Not exactly difficult for either catch i'm sure you'd agree
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 12:59 AM   #26
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
I hate it when people whine about Leonard ducking certain fighters. Seriously, you can make this claim about almost any fighter, and his top wins are as impressive if not moreso than pretty much any boxer in the history of the sport.

Yes, the man had his flaws outside of the ring, but inside the ring he was without question one of the most complete boxers there's ever been.
Agreed. Leonard fought Benitez, Duran twice, and Hearns within a span of 2 years. I think we'd be hard pressed to find a tougher 2 year span for any fighter in history. People sometimes forget that he had a legitimate injury (torn retina) which ended careers. They also forget that there was concern for his eye and his health in general when he took the Hagler fight. Whatever side you fall on as to who won the fight, doesn't change the remarkable effort he gave as a huge underdog.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 02:29 AM   #27
Azania
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I'm one of Tommy Hearns all-time fans...but even I gotta admit,Sugar Ray Leonard was special as a fighter.The guy had it all....Up to this day,I still can't get the perfomance he put up against Hagler...regardless of who you think won...that perfomance IMO,sealed Ray's legacy as an ATG...The man had heart...power...chin steel balls....flashy skills..all combined.

A true ATG.I concur..he's mos def top 15ish P4P in my book.Great fighter.
Azania is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 02:45 AM   #28
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

1 of the most complete fighters ever... best boxer of the 80s.... super versatile.... excellent finisher... beat some of the ATGs of boxing... made Duran quit... stopped Hearns... stopped benitez... outboxed Hagler.... top 5 p4p in my personal book as far as opponents beaten & pure ability.
SRL doesnt need to pad his record with another 20 meaningless wins to pass as 1 of the top 10 best ever boxers, 40 fights is enough to see how special he was... 1 of the very best in history without question.

Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 02:52 AM   #29
The Predator
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Sugar Ray Leonard is the second best ever for me (Ali nr 1). That fight against Hagler is the fight I can watch over and over again and still find new teqniqual stuff that no other fighter has done. He might have hold his hands lover than anyone else (apart from Ali then) but with those reflexes he had you can get away with it, and obviously he and Ali did.
In my opinion Sugar Ray Leonard and Ali IS how boxing should be. Flashy classy and full of showmanship.
All the best
The Predator
The Predator is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 03:39 AM   #30
carras
Contender
ESB Senior Member

one of the best to ever lace them up.
carras is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum