boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
guilalah
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Dempsey-Sharkey Youtubes -- any thoughts?

Dempsey-Sharkey
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Any thoughts?

1) My respect for Gene Tunney -- mostly handling Dempsey pretty well -- has increased substantially. Yeah, Dempsey catches more than he used to, and his legs are stiffer. But he was no dead fish.

2) Maybe this is 20-20 hindsight, but I thought Dempsey was fighting his fight; he was getting the sort of war that he wanted, even if Sharkey won a lot of the battles.

3) Dempsey slowed a bit after the first five rounds, but he still had enough in the tank to make Sharkey frazzle.

4) LOT'S of hitting on the breaks. The Dempsey camp definitely got the referee they wanted, me thinks.

Last edited by guilalah; 03-01-2009 at 03:26 PM.
guilalah is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: Dempsey-Sharkey Youtubes -- any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilalah
Dempsey-Sharkey

Any thoughts?

1) My respect for Gene Tunney -- mostly handling Dempsey pretty well -- has increased substantially. Yeah, Dempsey catches more than he used to, and his legs are stiffer. But he was no dead fish.

2) Maybe this is 20-20 hindsight, but I thought Dempsey was fighting his fight; he was getting the sort of war that he wanted, even if Sharkey won a lot of the battles.

3) Dempsey slowed a bit after the first five rounds, but he still had enough in the tank to make Sharkey frazzle.

4) LOT'S of hitting on the breaks. The Dempsey camp definitely got the referee they wanted, me thinks.
Dempsey was told ,"keep going to the body ",and he did,though some strayed low .Sharkey was putting on the fight of his life,Dempsey thought he was going to be knocked out,one shot went particularly low and the Sailor turned to protest,the rest is history,"what was I gonna do write him a letter"? Said Dempsey.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
Brian123
ESB WORLD CHAMPION
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilalah
Dempsey-Sharkey

Any thoughts?

Gene Tunney is one of those guys that the more you learn about him, the more you realize how truely great he was!
Brian123 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #4
SorceryatCaesar
Leonard-Hagler author
ESB Jr Member

seems that sharkey was a better fighter than the various histories, and popular opinion, would suggest
SorceryatCaesar is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 10:20 PM   #5
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Sharkey looked strong but Dempsey worked the body, I didn't see the low blow but I saw a wicked uppercut before the hook and something hurt him but Dempsey also used his head a lot.....Sharkey was built and Dempsey had a mean killer instinct and hit hard with that short hook and uppercut...Dempsey's legs were stiff and slowed down but his power was evident
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 07:22 AM   #6
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

When you watch the whole fight it tells a lot.

Sharkey dominated early in spirts, teeing off at times and rocking Dempsey.

Dempsey was still pretty tough because he hung in there and kept coming ...

AS the fight progressed, Dempsey was very much in the fight. He was still losing some big exchanges but was steadly pounding the hell out of the youger Sharkey to the body and Sharkey was feeling it ...

While Sharkey had to be ahead at the time of the KO, it was anyones fight. Dempsey was still coming on strong ...in many ways this is Dempsey's most telling fight of what might have been for him ...

Sharkey was in his absolute prime fighting his best fight. Dempsey was still dangerous but no way near the guy from 1919 or 1920. That being said he was competitive and actually defeated Sharkey, a huge achievement ...

I can watch this fight time and again ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Sharkey had just had a big win over an Older Harry Wills but was giving him a good pasting according to reports and he also beat Big George Godfrey so I give him credit for crossing the color line....Dempsey was staggered in the 2nd rd but came back chest to chest...Sharkey had a sneaky right but Dempsey hurt him with an uppercut and switched to the body, then the hook...Dempsey had Killer instinct and a powerfull punch....Sharkey was a tough guy
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
pugilist_boyd
BUSTED UP PUG
ESB Full Member

as already mentioned u can see the speed and relexes and even the style is somewhat gone for dempsey but the heart,and power are still there and if a body can endure enough punishment sometimes power and heart will pull u threw
pugilist_boyd is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #9
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Yeah, I have a thought...if you have any discipline at all, you don't turn and ***** to the referee with Jack Dempsey in there with you. Dempsey was truly politically incorrect as a fighter, and would have decimated Sharkey at any stage of his career.
red cobra is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum