Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Hagler's Win Over Duran - Underrated?

Hagler came in EXTREMELY light at 157 1/2. Hagler was noted as saying that a single pound made a massive difference in his performance, and as a poster here has said, his body was obviously a high performance machine.

I'm curious if maybe Hagler came in light to fight Duran to show the record books that he could, similar to Hopkin's fighting the smaller Oscar De La Hoya. That he didn't need that small advantage.

Anyway, six years later a middleweight Duran would defeat Iran Barkley for the WBC Middleweight title.

So, thoughts?
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hagler's Win Over Duran - Underrated?

I think Hagler has gotten too much criticism for it. Yeah he didn't overwhelm the smaller Duran. Duran was a very crafty fighter anyway.

The fight wasn't as close as the judges had it. I gave Hagler 10 rounds.
Thread Stealer is online now  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
Dave's Top Ten
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Hagler came in EXTREMELY light at 157 1/2. Hagler was noted as saying that a single pound made a massive difference in his performance, and as a poster here has said, his body was obviously a high performance machine.

I'm curious if maybe Hagler came in light to fight Duran to show the record books that he could, similar to Hopkin's fighting the smaller Oscar De La Hoya. That he didn't need that small advantage.

Anyway, six years later a middleweight Duran would defeat Iran Barkley for the WBC Middleweight title.

So, thoughts?
Hagler came in at 157 for Hamsho the first time and couldn't dent the iron chin. Came in over 159 for the rematch and KTFO in 3. Hagler obviously came in to box and sharp shoot an onrushing Duran, but Roberto was much too smart for that. Taking into consideration Duran's achievements in the following years I think Hagler gave a pretty impressive performance. Having said that he could have been more aggressive and gone for the stoppage instead of needlessly dancing around so much, but then he risked a thumb or a butt which he was obviously concerned about, especially after poor Davey Moore.
Dave's Top Ten is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

It's a fine wine.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
Dave's Top Ten
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer
I think Hagler has gotten too much criticism for it. Yeah he didn't overwhelm the smaller Duran. Duran was a very crafty fighter anyway.

The fight wasn't as close as the judges had it. I gave Hagler 10 rounds.
Yep, you know, if the judges had been competent that night I don't think we'd even be discussing the fight. The closeness of the scores gives Duran more credit than he deserves. I still maintain he came to survive, as he did in his rubber match with SRL.
Dave's Top Ten is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #6
SorceryatCaesar
Leonard-Hagler author
ESB Jr Member

At the first press conference announcing the fight, in New York, Duran offered his hand to Hagler - and after a moment of hesitation Hagler shook it. It was the first and only time Hagler shook hands with an opponent before a fight.

Why was that significant? Hagler normally treated his opponents as objects of hatred. But he couldn't do that with Duran because he respected him too much. Hagler was unable to view Duran simply as an opponent - he knew Duran was a legend - even though a disgraced legend after No Mas.

It showed in Hagler's performance. He dallied until the final two rounds, and repeatedly was suckered by Duran's right hand counter.
SorceryatCaesar is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 08:11 PM   #7
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorceryatCaesar
At the first press conference announcing the fight, in New York, Duran offered his hand to Hagler - and after a moment of hesitation Hagler shook it. It was the first and only time Hagler shook hands with an opponent before a fight.
Now that is interesting. You have a good eye to notice that.

Hagler would convince himself that his opponent was a no-good thief hell-bent on trespassing into Hagler's home and taking what belonged to Marvin Hagler. And that would not be allowed to happen. So he trained like a Spartan and entered the ring like a Mongolian Warlord. Ghengis Hagler.

However, the Petronelli's will tell you that Hagler "idolized" Duran.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

Why was that significant? Hagler normally treated his opponents as objects of hatred. But he couldn't do that with Duran because he respected him too much. Hagler was unable to view Duran simply as an opponent - he knew Duran was a legend - even though a disgraced legend after No Mas.

It showed in Hagler's performance. He dallied until the final two rounds, and repeatedly was suckered by Duran's right hand counter.
Good post.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #9
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

It's a solid win, but I don't think his legacy would suffer without it. It's impressive considering Duran's later acheivement of defeating Barkley, but not impressive at all when considering Hearns' destruction of Duran. I had him winning 9 rounds, what does hurt him is I think Duran was able to last the distance and compete far better than most would think because at times Duran was able to make Hagler fight his fight. For a guy like Hagler, who himself was a brilliant fighter to be suckered into fighting a the way a fighter who was at his best 25lbs below Hagler's weight limit and about 6 or 7 years prior to this fight, it takes at least something away from him in my opinion. But as I said, a solid win, so overall I don't really see that much of an impact it has on Hagler's legacy.
the cobra is online now  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
At the first press conference announcing the fight, in New York, Duran offered his hand to Hagler - and after a moment of hesitation Hagler shook it.
The date was the 14th July, 1983, NY. And my avatar photo with them both was taken on that very day.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #11
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

No.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 12:03 PM   #12
SorceryatCaesar
Leonard-Hagler author
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
The date was the 14th July, 1983, NY. And my avatar photo with them both was taken on that very day.
great photo.
shortly after the press conference hagler went on an extended motor trip with his family, 36 states, 11,000 miles. he was treated like royalty and enjoyed the hell out of himself. by the time he returned he was in a better mood - because earlier that summer he had talked of retiring because of the lack of a big-money opponent.
SorceryatCaesar is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 01:33 PM   #13
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

No, this win over Duran has NOT been underrated. It was a subpar performance by Hagler, in that he betrayed, IMO, a certain indecisiveness, or tentativeness, like he was a bit too respectful of Duran, or at least of Duran's past image. When you compare this fight to what Hearns did to Duran, then it seems to be just an honest, subpar, offnight, so to speak for Hagler. Big deal, because great fighters sometime have offnights, like Monzon did in his 2nd bout with Griffith, and Calzaghe basically did vs. Hopkins, and there's so many, many more examples than that throughout boxing history. Marvelous Marvin STILL owned Hearns, and IMO, deserved the decision against Leonard, and to be sure, if their fight was scheduled for 15 AS ALL CHAMPIONSHIP FIGHTS SHOULD BE (!!!!!!!!) then Hagler would have decisively beaten Leonard, again, IMO.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #14
Rumsfeld
East Side VIP

vCash: 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra
Big deal, because great fighters sometime have offnights, like Monzon did in his 2nd bout with Griffith, and Calzaghe basically did vs. Hopkins
HUH?!!?

That was easily the best win of Calzaghe's career, in a closely contested battle where he faced an elite opponent for the first time in his career.

Off night?

OFF NIGHT?
Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #15
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:

Its ironic that Duran hated his opponents in much the same way as Hagler did, even more so.......

.....but for this fight, Duran knew that it was to his advantage for Hagler not to have a built up rage to destroy within him......

.....Hagler bit hook, line and sinker.....
Hagler never stepped on the accelerator against a Duran who's only chance to beat him was to have the fight fought at a controlled boxing match rhythm.

I was'nt impressed with how Hagler handled the superfight spotlight for the first time.

As been mentioned, Hagler idolized and had to deep a respect for Duran, and it played into the fight.

Btw, I scored the fight a draw!
An impressive performance by Hagler is was certainly not!
divac is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum