Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-09-2008, 07:42 AM   #31
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hagler's Win Over Duran - Underrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
Very unsual that Duran never decided to trade as much with Hagler inside. I'm not saying Duran should have been seeking this for long periods, but when it came his way he should have said "what the hell, lets have it".
Duran tested the inside waters and found he couldn't match Hagler. So being the smart fighter that he is he tried various means from the outside. Tho outboxed on the whole there he had more success and was under less pressure.

IMO Duran fought the best fight he could have with what he had and what he was up against.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #32
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumsfeld
HUH?!!?

That was easily the best win of Calzaghe's career, in a closely contested battle where he faced an elite opponent for the first time in his career.

Off night?

OFF NIGHT?
Yeah, right to what you said, but I still think that Calzaghe was not at his best and was capable of beating Hopkins by a wider margin and avoiding being knocked down as well. It was an OFF NIGHT....like so many quality fighters have, even in important fights.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #33
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Duran tested the inside waters and found he couldn't match Hagler. So being the smart fighter that he is he tried various means from the outside. Tho outboxed on the whole there he had more success and was under less pressure.

IMO Duran fought the best fight he could have with what he had and what he was up against.
Yeah I agree. But he should tried to opened up more inside when Hagler got there instead of covering up defensively most of the time. And I did say previously that I would not expect him to be 'seeking' a physical fight, only when he was forced into it. I would not really say Duran tested the inside waters, certainly not offensively. Yes at times he punched inside, but rarely. He probably never wanted to get into his usual kind of fight at close quarters because he would have got a taste for it, thus fighting the totally opposite of how he planned and getting into a war. Duran fought a very programmed type of fight.

However, I do agree that he done as well as he could considering his disadvantages in power and strength.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2008, 08:37 AM   #34
enquirer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Maybe the fact that this fight was scheduled for fifteen also made duran a little conservative in his approach...
enquirer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum