Old 08-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Oakland Billy Smith

This mad bastard has some names on his record. Most of them hammered him. Look:

Jack Chase (Lpts10, Wpts10, Wpts10,

Cocoa Kid (NC3, the referee decided, perhaps acurately, that Cocoa Kid was on the take. he was getting knocked all over the ring at the time of the stoppage)

Charley Burley (Lpts10, Lpts10)

Jimmy Bivins (Lpts10 - "Smith was knocked down for the first time in the 5th by a left right combo that put him down for a 9 count. He was battered all over the ring after he rose. A right hand in the sixth draped him over the middle rope...he took another nine count on his knee. Shortly after he was floored for a third time for an eight count. As the bell rang for end of the 6th Smith was very unsteady...he backpeddaled for the rest of the bout and was giving away weight to the highly rated heavyweight contender Bivins." - Oakland Tribune)

Lloyd Marshall (WKO9, what a fantastic win)

Ezzard Charles (Lpts10, LKO5, )

Archie Moore (D12, Lpts10, Lko4, Lko8, )

Bert Lytell (Lpts10, Lpts10, Nc10)

Bob Satarsfield (Lko1)

Harold Johnson (WKO2...mental)
McGrain is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Default Re: Oakland Billy Smith

He got the better of Jack Chase in a trilogy, which elevates him above the status of victim or journeyman, and a wins over Johnson and Marshall are pretty extraordinary...also, it seems you can trace Moore's elevation by way of his imporiving results against Smith.

Sounds like the guy had decent heart, check the beating Bivins gave him...on the other hand there is a story that he tried to climb out of the ring and make for the dressing room during one of the Moore administered beatings. Strange and interesting fighter.

Anyone know of any exsisting footage aside from the Burley loss?
Old 08-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

[quote=McGrain]

Quote:
Anyone know of any exsisting footage aside from the Burley loss?
The Harold Johnson and Billy Noble stoppages and about 16 minutes of the first or second Moore fight are available in good condition. I think there may be one or two more but thats it to my knowledge. The story of his leaving the ring in the middle of one of his fights with Archie is true. He was getting his head handed to him and figured why take more punishment so he just stepped through the ropes and walked away from the ring and out of the arena... quite the character indeed and somewhat of a headcase according to some folks who I`ve spoken with and who knew him personally.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

[quote=Raging B(_)LL]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain

The Harold Johnson and Billy Noble stoppages and about 16 minutes of the first or second Moore fight are available in good condition. I think there may be one or two more but thats it to my knowledge. The story of his leaving the ring in the middle of one of his fights with Archie is true. He was getting his head handed to him and figured why take more punishment so he just stepped through the ropes and walked away from the ring and out of the arena... quite the character indeed and somewhat of a headcase according to some folks who I`ve spoken with and who knew him personally.
Nice post, thanks for the confirmation of the headcaseness and the Moore story.

You have seen the Johnson fight? What happened there?
Old 08-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

[quote=McGrain]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging B(_)LL

Nice post, thanks for the confirmation of the headcaseness and the Moore story.

You have seen the Johnson fight? What happened there?
I haven`t watched the fight in some time, but going on memory I believe Harold simply got caught by a right hand on the chin that went through his guard and thats all she wrote. He went down heavily, got up in time to beat the count but was in no shape to continue afterwards so the ref stopped it. No complaints from Harold about the stoppage either, he knew he got nailed but good and would have been KO`ed in short order if the ref had let it continue. Smith had a lot of power in that right of his and he could box very well too, but he just wasn`t right in the head and it cost him several times during his career.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Yeah, I get that impression too, that he might have been slightly better than his record indicates in terms of ability. But fighting is as much mental as not, right?

Sort of guy that could blast out almost anyone, it seems.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

The mention of Oakland Billy Smith brings back a special memory from the early '50s, Mc. Smith had dropped the "Oakland" handle for "Boardwalk" Billy Smith to court East Coast fans.

He had a formidable reputation and was made a prohibitive favorite against a seeming nobody, Paul Andrews. But I'd watched Andrews in the gym -- a helluva puncher -- and knew he was more than a live opponent.

Cus D'Amato never allowed Patterson to spar with him.

So I picked Andrews, and made some friendly bets with buddies, who were more than anxious to take my money. The scenario played out just as I imagined: Andrews starched Smith, I made a few bucks, and got to rub-it-in with my friends.
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 07:30 PM   #8
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield
The mention of Oakland Billy Smith brings back a special memory from the early '50s, Mc. Smith had dropped the "Oakland" handle for "Boardwalk" Billy Smith to court East Coast fans.

He had a formidable reputation and was made a prohibitive favorite against a seeming nobody, Paul Andrews. But I'd watched Andrews in the gym -- a helluva puncher -- and knew he was more than a live opponent.

Cus D'Amato never allowed Patterson to spar with him.

So I picked Andrews, and made some friendly bets with buddies, who were more than anxious to take my money. The scenario played out just as I imagined: Andrews starched Smith, I made a few bucks, and got to rub-it-in with my friends.

Atta boy!

How did Andrews figure, was he able to make a few bucks? Did it work out for him at all?
Old 08-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Atta boy!

How did Andrews figure, was he able to make a few bucks? Did it work out for him at all?
In some ways Andrews was reminscient of Johnny Holman, slow, colorless, but carried a big hammer. Imagine an impassive Joe Louis shuffling forward.

He had a brief run in the sun, but admits, even now, booze did him in.

Interesting to see a gathering of ol' timers; he goes entirely unrecognized. Actually, at the height of his career, with his Zora Folley presence, he could be in the midst of a fight crowd and draw zero attention.
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
This mad bastard has some names on his record. Most of them hammered him. Look:

Jack Chase (Lpts10, Wpts10, Wpts10,

Cocoa Kid (NC3, the referee decided, perhaps acurately, that Cocoa Kid was on the take. he was getting knocked all over the ring at the time of the stoppage)

Charley Burley (Lpts10, Lpts10)

Jimmy Bivins (Lpts10 - "Smith was knocked down for the first time in the 5th by a left right combo that put him down for a 9 count. He was battered all over the ring after he rose. A right hand in the sixth draped him over the middle rope...he took another nine count on his knee. Shortly after he was floored for a third time for an eight count. As the bell rang for end of the 6th Smith was very unsteady...he backpeddaled for the rest of the bout and was giving away weight to the highly rated heavyweight contender Bivins." - Oakland Tribune)

Lloyd Marshall (WKO9, what a fantastic win)

Ezzard Charles (Lpts10, LKO5, )

Archie Moore (D12, Lpts10, Lko4, Lko8, )

Bert Lytell (Lpts10, Lpts10, Nc10)

Bob Satarsfield (Lko1)

Harold Johnson (WKO2...mental)

He also had a very impressive 3 round knockout over Bob Foxworth, a fierce puncher whom Nat Fleischer considered perhaps the hardest puncher he had ever seen. Foxworth's career was stunted due to a detached retina and he is largely forgotten today.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 04:29 AM   #11
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD FOGEY
He also had a very impressive 3 round knockout over Bob Foxworth, a fierce puncher whom Nat Fleischer considered perhaps the hardest puncher he had ever seen. Foxworth's career was stunted due to a detached retina and he is largely forgotten today.

Very interesting. Sounds like SMith was the kind of guy, if he caught you right, goodnight and goodluck, but he struggled to get that done. Certainly he got bulled around by the much lighter Burley.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:50 AM   #12
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Good info McGrain, on the subject of Marshall, his WINS resume is one of the very best ever, but he seemed to have lost a lot to the best fighters as much as he beat them, dont know what my poiint is there, just thought i'd put that in here, interesting.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 07:00 PM   #13
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto
Good info McGrain, on the subject of Marshall, his WINS resume is one of the very best ever, but he seemed to have lost a lot to the best fighters as much as he beat them, dont know what my poiint is there, just thought i'd put that in here, interesting.
Yeah, Marshall is a difficult, difficult fighter to appraise, most of all because he was seen as a "business" fighter, that is, a fighter who would be expected to take dives at certain times. I think that's why he eventually came to fight in Europe, but that's pure speculation.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum