Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-28-2007, 05:38 AM   #31
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Power - If you had to choose a single fighter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
He had very good ponderous power for sure. A powerful puncher a rung or two below people like Valdez, Hearn's, Jackson and co.

Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2007, 05:49 AM   #32
enquirer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

To me the fighter that epitomised p4p power was hearns. True one punch power which worked against great fighters at multiple weights...
Jackson,joe louis in combinations,robinson and marciano also showed great power as did many others,but hearns up to middle just had that something else which troubled even the most durable fighters....
enquirer is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 05:51 AM   #33
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enquirer
To me the fighter that epitomised p4p power was hearns. True one punch power which worked against great fighters at multiple weights...
Jackson,joe louis in combinations,robinson and marciano also showed great power as did many others,but hearns up to middle just had that something else which troubled even the most durable fighters....
Up to 175 actually
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 06:21 AM   #34
enquirer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yes johnthomas,i suppose even at 175 he hurt the very durable andries with one punch and every time he landed....Just that maybe he was more conservative at 175 and had a little less speed at this weight,though he was bigger as well...
What was the hill fight like? Did he hurt hill or was it a flash knockdown? Was hill wary of tommys power?
It is remarkable that tommys power went up so many weights,i dont think jacksons would be that good a puncher at lt heavy and benns power went down a lot just 8 lbs up....
When i judge tommys power i look at the footage,the very durable quality guys he fought and the multiple weight divisions he fought in at world level.
The funny thing is i would say other great fighters had better timing,accuracy and picked their punches better than tommy,but if tommy landed clean it was invariably big hurt or ko time.....Do you think tommy would have been an even better puncher if he paid more attention to placement,accuracy and punch picking,or were the big vicious flurries in actually going for the knockout what generated his awesome power and an integral part of his personality?
enquirer is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 06:27 AM   #35
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yes johnthomas,i suppose even at 175 he hurt the very durable andries with one punch and every time he landed....Just that maybe he was more conservative at 175 and had a little less speed at this weight,though he was bigger as well...
What was the hill fight like? Did he hurt hill or was it a flash knockdown? Was hill wary of tommys power?
It is remarkable that tommys power went up so many weights,i dont think jacksons would be that good a puncher at lt heavy and benns power went down a lot just 8 lbs up....
When i judge tommys power i look at the footage,the very durable quality guys he fought and the multiple weight divisions he fought in at world level.
The funny thing is i would say other great fighters had better timing,accuracy and picked their punches better than tommy,but if tommy landed clean it was invariably big hurt or ko time.....Do you think tommy would have been an even better puncher if he paid more attention to placement,accuracy and punch picking,or were the big vicious flurries in actually going for the knockout what generated his awesome power and an integral part of his personality?
I don't think he dropped Hill, but he staggered him once or twice. Hill was VERY wary of Hearn's big power. Have a look at Hearn's poleaxing of Maynard, a decent fighter. 180 pounds they both weighed.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 06:36 AM   #36
enquirer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Officially i read that tommy knocked down hill in the third,maybe someone could clarify that? If hill was very wary of tommys power that speaks once again of his great punch evn at lt heavy...How is hill ranked on the durability front?
Ive seen tommys fight with maynard,great performance,the final punch wasnt even on the chin,more the back of the head? But you could see tommy bothering maynard with even his single shots.....I dont know what senya is talking about,tommy was also an atg great puncher above 147/154.....
enquirer is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 06:41 AM   #37
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Paul Berlenbach is also a good example, at his natural weight he was a deadly puncher, even when he moved up in weight he was still dangerous...

some other examples:

Aurelio Herrera
Ike Williams
Carlos Zarate
Wilfredo Gomez
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 07:40 AM   #38
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

Quote:
Officially i read that tommy knocked down hill in the third,maybe someone could clarify that? If hill was very wary of tommys power that speaks once again of his great punch evn at lt heavy...How is hill ranked on the durability front?
Ive seen tommys fight with maynard,great performance,the final punch wasnt even on the chin,more the back of the head? But you could see tommy bothering maynard with even his single shots.....I dont know what senya is talking about,tommy was also an atg great puncher above 147/154.....
Tommy didn't floor Hill at all, I can confirm that. As JT said Hill was staggered big time in rounds 6, 9 and 11 I think. Hill demonstrated a great chin in this fight, previously he'd only been floored once by Bobby Czyz. Also, Tommy's jab repeatedly snapped back the head of Hill constantly throughout the fight. The fact that Hill didn't go down is probably an indication that Tommy's power wasn't quite as potent at 175 as it was at 147. That said, he was still a hard puncher at 175 make no mistake. He had Hill all over the place several times and I thought Dr. Ferdie Pacheco doing analysis was gonna 'spill his spooge' at the end of some of the exchanges.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 09:44 AM   #39
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

A couple of names to throw into the thread-

Joe Choynski: Esentialy a super middleweight in todays money he could put 200lb fighters in la la land with a single well timed punch.

Joe Walcott: Never more than a welterweight he caried devastating power up to light heavyweight and perhaps even beyond.

Bob fitzsimmons: Another super middleweight who could put the big boys in la la land with a single punch.

Mickey Walker: Never much more than a middleweight he caried one punch knockout power up to 200lbs and beyond.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 02:44 PM   #40
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Jimmy Wilde
Alfonse Zamora
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 03:47 PM   #41
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Janitor beat me to it I was gonna say Joe Walcott if you can knockout guys 50lbs + bigger, then you gotta have some serious power.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 04:20 PM   #42
Zhaakal
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1285

Tyson
Zhaakal is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #43
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'd like to have Joe Louis' punching power.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 04:53 PM   #44
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Ruby Fitz.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 05:43 PM   #45
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotauro
Janitor beat me to it I was gonna say Joe Walcott if you can knockout guys 50lbs + bigger, then you gotta have some serious power.
The way that kid knocked 200lb+ heavyweights about and handled them in the clinches is almost unbeleivable.

We talk about the pound for pound number one. If there was an inch for inch number one nobody would challenge him for the honour.
janitor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum