Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 08-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #61
TFFP

vCash:
Default Re: Khan vs Hatton in 09?

What has that got to do with anything? That proves absolutely nothing. Who was bigger, Mayweather the guy that started at jr lightweight, or Ricky Hatton the jr welter? Let's take a look...

Ahem...
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Now a comparison...

That's Hatton weighing in most recently, and Khan vs St Clair (if anything he looks bigger now)

Khan is 5'11, he'll put on another 5lbs easily. Hatton was never a welterweight as he constantly tells us, he'd a midget with arms like a baby. Hatton is not bigger. It's in the body structure, not just weights. This is why Kelly Pavlik is miles bigger than many middleweights and comparable to most SMW's, and why Mayweather went right up to JWW without looking smaller than his competition.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #62
onourway
Haye KTFO1 Wlad
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Hatton's naturally bigger than Khan.

Khan's natural build is long and wirey.

Hatton has always been short and stocky.
onourway is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #63
TFFP

vCash:

Yeah, now add 5lbs on and a little bit of time to grow into the weight...

It makes a huge difference, check out Oscar/Mayweather in their early days

Of course you'd expect Hatton to be a little bit stockier, the guys 5'7, but overall it really doesn't cancel out the 4 inch height and reach advantage. He's not THAT much thicker looking at the evidence of those pictures.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #64
onourway
Haye KTFO1 Wlad
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Amir Khan will definitely carry weight better than Hatton does, but that doesn't mean he's naturally bigger.

Just doesn't suit Hatton with his stubby little arms, lack of height and reliance on strength to be moving up in weight.

Khan with his style and height will be more suited to jumping in weight, don't think his chin will agree though.

I've seen footage of Hatton fighting when he was younger and he's always had a thick frame, whereas Khan was always very skinny up until he got a couple of years into the pro ranks.
onourway is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2008, 03:17 PM   #65
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onourway
Amir Khan will definitely carry weight better than Hatton does, but that doesn't mean he's naturally bigger.

Just doesn't suit Hatton with his stubby little arms, lack of height and reliance on strength to be moving up in weight.

Khan with his style and height will be more suited to jumping in weight, don't think his chin will agree though.

I've seen footage of Hatton fighting when he was younger and he's always had a thick frame, whereas Khan was always very skinny up until he got a couple of years into the pro ranks.
True enough.

I just can't really see that on fight night anybody would think Hatton looks bigger. It looks worse for Khan on the scales because he's tall and the draining is in evidence around the ribs, but on fight night Khan will tower over him and he always looks pretty ripped and not skinny.

Of course none of this really matters, it never does unless you start getting into ridiculous physical mismatches.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #66
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

DLH vs Pac for instance?
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2008, 03:32 PM   #67
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler
DLH vs Pac for instance?
Yeah, but you've got to think about that carefully.

Stevie Forbes is not a big man. He's not even a top drawer fighter, he only brings solid defensive skills and counterpunching. He's a former lightweight, that stepped up to 154 and competed well enough with this version of De La Hoya, and quite frankly was never hurt

This is what Pacquiao would have been telling himself. He's also a lightweight now, that looks to have grown into the weight nicely retaining his speed and some power. If he could have got certain things in his favour regarding the weight and weigh in, he'd rightly consider himself a chance I think.

Pacquiao would have more ambition than Forbes and is more likely to be catching something big, but he also brings more for Oscar to worry about himself.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #68
FLINT ISLAND
PENYRHEOL
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

to answer the thread title

Ricky Hatton should not be in a ring anymore

let alone 2009

Hatton is slipping all the time

so Khan even though he is a dodgy prospect has a oppurntunity of beating up a shell of Ricky Hatton if they met in the future

Hatton is not going to age well - with his junk food and booze lifestyle

he could get away with it in his 20's

but now I expect the detrotiation as a athelte will take more rapid progress

while Khan is building all the time

this fight should not happen

Hatton is gonna be burnt out by then
FLINT ISLAND is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #69
Benjiabc
The Nottingham Hitman
ESB Addict

too be honest i am quite critical of khans recent performances, but when i saw this proposed fight in the newspaper, i have to be honest i thought khan had a dam good shot, we all know that Hatton has always walked through alot of punches, but recently he has been wobbled(noticeably by lazcano and of course against mayweather) and by 2009 this will have worsened, khan throws alot of shots and will certainly land alot on Hatton who IMO is way past his best, however, if hatton could continue to put pressure on Amir the fight could be over very quickly, as khan looks poor whenever he seems to be pressured in anyway(look at the gomez fight) but for me, i could really see khan winning this with his speed and agility, i could see him landing alot of shots on Hatton which he simply could not handle, but alot would depend on how khan carrys the weight up.
Benjiabc is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #70
toffeejack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjiabc
too be honest i am quite critical of khans recent performances, but when i saw this proposed fight in the newspaper, i have to be honest i thought khan had a dam good shot, we all know that Hatton has always walked through alot of punches, but recently he has been wobbled(noticeably by lazcano and of course against mayweather) and by 2009 this will have worsened, khan throws alot of shots and will certainly land alot on Hatton who IMO is way past his best, however, if hatton could continue to put pressure on Amir the fight could be over very quickly, as khan looks poor whenever he seems to be pressured in anyway(look at the gomez fight) but for me, i could really see khan winning this with his speed and agility, i could see him landing alot of shots on Hatton which he simply could not handle, but alot would depend on how khan carrys the weight up.
Agree with all that

Prime Hatton destroys Khan of course but I think a lot of people are underestimating how shot or getting close to shot Hatton is.

I thought he was terrible in the last fight, will be interesting to see how he performs in November. It will tell us a lot I think.
toffeejack is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2008, 08:23 AM   #71
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Hatton maybe in decline but he's not shot by any means. If a 2008 version of Gomez can rattle Khan with body shots and seriously drop him with a left hook delivered from the inside than Hatton would have no trouble KOing him.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #72
Benjiabc
The Nottingham Hitman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffeejack
Agree with all that

Prime Hatton destroys Khan of course but I think a lot of people are underestimating how shot or getting close to shot Hatton is.

I thought he was terrible in the last fight, will be interesting to see how he performs in November. It will tell us a lot I think.

yes i thought the same, if he stops paulie convincingly i may reconsider my verdict lol
Benjiabc is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #73
trotter
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffeejack
Agree with all that

He won a near shutout against a former champion in Khan's division. The likes of which Khan hasn't come near yet. And yet Khan's still been decked a couple of times.

Shows the gulf of class between Khan and Hatton wouldn't you say?

I think you are using the word 'shot' way too liberally, as people tend to do round here. He's lost ONE fight to Floyd Mayweather for christ's sake.

I agree he's lost a bit, maybe even a lot, but 'shot' - give over.
trotter is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #74
toffeejack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter
He won a near shutout against a former champion in Khan's division. The likes of which Khan hasn't come near yet. And yet Khan's still been decked a couple of times.

Shows the gulf of class between Khan and Hatton wouldn't you say?

I think you are using the word 'shot' way too liberally, as people tend to do round here. He's lost ONE fight to Floyd Mayweather for christ's sake.

I agree he's lost a bit, maybe even a lot, but 'shot' - give over.
He was also getting hit WAY too much for any fan's liking (and I am a fan, always have been I'm just being realistic). Did you see the state on him afterwards? Prime Hatton or even Hatton a couple of fights ago would have got Lazcano out of there pretty soon and I think that's what the Hatton Camp were expecting also.

Oh, and as much as I don't like Khan I believe he would box Lazcano's head off.

'Shot' is going over the top I agree I'm just trying to get across my opinion that he is in fast decline that's all. I hope I'm wrong though and we see him back to form in November.
toffeejack is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2008, 11:59 AM   #75
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Hatton could cut Khan in half

I think we will see him back in good form in November, though how much of that will be to do with him as opposed to his ridiculously over-rated opponent will be interesting.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum