Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: If you could only see one of these fantasy fights, which one are you picking?
Sullivan vs. Jeffries 25 rounds 6 10.17%
Johnson vs. Dempsey 25 rounds 5 8.47%
Louis vs. Liston 15 rounds 4 6.78%
Marciano vs. Frazier 15 rounds 11 18.64%
Ali vs. Tyson 15 rounds 26 44.07%
Lewis vs. Bowe 12 rounds 7 11.86%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default If you could only see one of these fantasy fights, which one are you picking?

If you could only see one of these fantasy fights, which one are you picking?
Mendoza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
JLP 6
Fighter/Puncher
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: If you could only see one of these fantasy fights, which one are you picking?

Louis-Liston.

My two favorites. I can see a senario where Liston beats him. But, honestly Louis' trap setting and countering gets him the decision. Liston for all his expensive boxing skill will be getting beat to the punch when the trading starts and he is not mobile enough to back out in time to win these extended exchanges. Ohh...I see these two standing toe-up staring at each other waiting for the other make a mistake.

High stakes chess.

Fischer vs. Kasparov
JLP 6 is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
heavy_hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: If you could only see one of these fantasy fights, which one are you picking?

you forgot a top 3 fantasy fights ever and it is foreman vs tyson.
heavy_hands is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
heavy_hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member

of course if i have to pick here the obvious answer is ali vs tyson...
heavy_hands is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Jefferies vs Sullivan. What a freaking fight that would be.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Furey
EST & REG 2009
ESB Addict

The most common and talked about fantasy fight is Ali v Tyson, and for me it would have to be that fight.
Furey is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I picked Sullivan v. Jeffries not only because it would be a fun fight filled with plenty of hard hitting, but because it would give me a chance to actually see Sullivan in action. To me, the next most entertaining bout would be Frazier vs. Marciano, which would be an absolutely brutal inside war for as long as it lasted.

Not all that interested in Louis-Liston because I think Louis easily blasts Sonny out of there. Everything Liston did, Louis did better, and faster.

Johnson v. Dempsey would be boring, and I think Johnson would pretty much be in control in an anticlimactic bout. Wouldn't be much to look at because Johnson would neutralize and frustrate Dempsey.

Lewis v. Bowe would be disappointing because Lewis would control Bowe from the outside with his speed, jab, and footwork, and sharpshoot and powerpunch him into oblivion, but Bowe would last a little longer than he should owing to his toughness, so he'd suffer a beating until the ref stopped it.

I see most are picking Tyson v. Ali, and that would be very interesting, yet I also see this fight less and less interesting the more I think about it, because I simply do not think Ali allows Tyson to land often enough to get him. Ali is going to move and punch too quickly, and grab any time Tyson gets close. Ali will do better as the rounds progress, and control him more and more. Sure we all watch with baited breath early on, and look for that one big one to land, but Ali is no fool - he'd be prepared for the bomber, and even if he got caught, he'd do what he had to do to weather the storm, and we all know Ali had superior conditioning, defense, and chin, as well as ability to finish a guy who showed fatigue.

Last edited by apollack; 08-23-2013 at 01:41 PM.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
If you could only see one of these fantasy fights, which one are you picking?
Really good choices... I really don't care much about Sullivan vs. Jeffries though. Louis vs. Liston might be good but I care less about it than Marciano vs. Frazier, Ali vs. Tyson, or Lewis vs. Bowe... those 3 really got my attention. I picked Marciano vs. Frazier just because I knew it needed another vote but the other two are just as awesome IMO.
Hookie is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

My picks?

Jeffries, Louis, Marciano (far from easy), Ali (Tyson drops him though), and Lewis (with Steward in his corner and it's not easy)
Hookie is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Almost forget, Johnson over Dempsey
Hookie is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
guilalah
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Jeffries-Sullivan to get a good look a tthose two.

Johnson-Dempsey to refine my opinions about both fighters.

Marciano-Frazier for a sure thing great fight.

Ali-Tyson for the extreme glamour.

-----

All things considered, I'd go with Johnson-Dempsey.
guilalah is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
MercuryChild
Journeyman

Can't go wrong with Marciano/Frazier
Two of the toughest heavyweights ever to step in the ring. Both with incredible stamina and will. Both with sledgehammer shots to the body and head. I really don't know who would win here.

I really don't think Ali/Tyson would be that spectacular. Ali is much too good at tying up his opponents, and Tyson would tire and become frustrated as Ali picked at him when he wasn't inside. I don't see Tyson ever winning except on a perfect shot
MercuryChild is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
MercuryChild
Journeyman

also, I believe a fantasy fight you are missing is George Foreman vs Earnie Shavers
MercuryChild is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryChild View Post
also, I believe a fantasy fight you are missing is George Foreman vs Earnie Shavers
Shavers didn't have the chin to handle Foreman's power. It would be a very short war and Foreman would get him out. Sure Shavers could hurt George, but Shavers would be hurt too, and as soon as George caught him, which he would, it would be all over.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #15
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

I've got to go with Ali- Tyson. For me, Lewis-Bowe could be an easy blow out for Lewis, or a decision for Riddick. Marciano Frazier would be an inside WAR, and a complete slugfest. Louis-Liston is interesting because they could both knock eachother out, and they both have power.
tommygun711 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum