Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-27-2007, 06:39 PM   #16
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could ANYONE Have Outboxed Marciano?

Hey...what about Corbett? What kind of chance would he have had? Seriously, Marciano may have been made for Corbett, more than anyone...didn't use a guard as his first line but his second line, meanwhile he's not exhausing himself like Ali might...more conservative with movement.
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2007, 06:43 PM   #17
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Or would it always have taken a really big puncher?
I would say Ali ,Holmes,Tunney ,would probably out box Rocky but to out fight him ------maybeDempsey,Louis,Jeffries,Foreman ,Liston.Bottom line he is no picnic for any heavy weight.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 06:44 PM   #18
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Outboxed for a while but could anyone outbox Marciano for 15 rounds and sustain the pace and punishment the man dished out,Ali fought a good pace vs Frazier in the 1st fight but tired,I think Ali has a chance but not likely,Holmes could never get off the floor from the right hand that Marciano would hit him with and survive, Tunney recovered the best after the long count and has a chance but a slim one, Marciano was a more weardown damage type of fighter and he could break the best rythym fighters rythym
Bummy Davis is online now  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 06:55 PM   #19
rr94
Belt Holder
ESB Senior Member

Ali outboxs him...easy

Foreman walks right through him (a la Foreman/Joe Frazier)...easy

Marciano was 185 pounds; i don't think he would get to Lewis (Manny Steward era).

I think Ibeabucchi beats him.

I'll say a prime Holmes jabs to win a UD.

And a prime Louis, not a faded Louis, would have beaten him.

I'd love to see Earnie Shavers/Marciano...not gonna pick a winner, but i'd love to see it.

I don't think RJJ would have a shot...he'd be swarmed 15 rounds and Glen Johnson already exposed him with that style.
rr94 is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #20
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave krieg
Is this a joke thread?Lol any 200 plus boxer who has any amount of skill would out box Marciano.He struggled with Ezzard Charles a blown up 160 pound middleweight yet you would ask if anybody could outbox him?As i said before in 2007 it seems we would be over the Marciano is better than god routine but i guess some people will never grow up.
Ezzard Charles is one of the greatest boxers who has ever lived. And Rocky beat him.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 07:23 PM   #21
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Ezzard was not a middleweight, he was a lightheayvweight, he gain up to 188 or so pounds. Charles may have started out as a middleweight because Charles started boxing as a skinny teenager. Ali was a lightheavyweight before he turn pro. When guys get older, they feel out more. Ali feel out to be a 200 pounder, and Charles a 178 pounder about. We cant go and say Joe Fraizer beat a lightheavyweight(Ali)
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 07:27 PM   #22
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238
Ezzard was not a middleweight, he was a lightheayvweight, he gain up to 188 or so pounds. Charles may have started out as a middleweight because Charles started boxing as a skinny teenager. Ali was a lightheavyweight before he turn pro. When guys get older, they feel out more. Ali feel out to be a 200 pounder, and Charles a 178 pounder about. We cant go and say Joe Fraizer beat a lightheavyweight(Ali)

Yes, and Joe Frazier was 205lbs when he took on Ali...a small heavyweight beats a great one. Why? Because he too is great. There's always one, one idiot in any Marciano/Dempsey thread saying "they happened in black and white, they were shit" - nothing can be done for them I guess.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 07:27 PM   #23
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Quote:
Hey...what about Corbett? What kind of chance would he have had? Seriously, Marciano may have been made for Corbett, more than anyone...didn't use a guard as his first line but his second line, meanwhile he's not exhausing himself like Ali might...more conservative with movement.
Corbett wasn't as savvy at staying out of range, though. He falls into the clinch repeatedly against Fitzsimmons, and his technique controlling Courtney and McCoy is too close-range to work against Marciano. Corbett may have been cleverer in the clinch, but Marciano's mauling, impetuous style would have given him a nightmare.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 07:30 PM   #24
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

If Walcott had not been cut, he would have won the first match with Marciano. If Rocky had not dropped LaStarza in their first meeting, he would have sustained his first professional loss. If his first bout with Charles had been scheduled for the modern contemptible limit of 12 rounds, Ezz would have regained the HW Title in their initial contest.

If, if, if....the fact remains that as it happened, nobody did succeed in gaining an official verdict over Rocky. Sure, Corbett, Jack Johnson, Tunney, Ali and Holmes could have stayed far enough away for 15 rounds to swing a decision win, but nobody was able to do it when Rocky was in the same ring with them, and that's all that matters.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 07:32 PM   #25
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_trainer
Corbett wasn't as savvy at staying out of range, though. He falls into the clinch repeatedly against Fitzsimmons, and his technique controlling Courtney and McCoy is too close-range to work against Marciano. Corbett may have been cleverer in the clinch, but Marciano's mauling, impetuous style would have given him a nightmare.

Yes...my impression of Corbett though was that he went into clinches with a definite plan...you know, so he would grab and hit. Then on the way out he would hit...What do you think?

Temprament?

Also, his terribley durable...he could possibly outpoint Marciano via scoring cleaner shots on the inside and the outside.

Do you see the KO?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 07:41 PM   #26
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yes...my impression of Corbett though was that he went into clinches with a definite plan...you know, so he would grab and hit. Then on the way out he would hit...What do you think?

Temprament?

Also, his terribley durable...he could possibly outpoint Marciano via scoring cleaner shots on the inside and the outside.

Do you see the KO?
Well, Fitz was able to start shoving him around on the inside after he got tired in the later rounds, and Sharkey roughed him up badly (though Sharkey was one of the dirtiest fighters in history). He would have been better technically on the inside than Marciano, but I just don't see his stamina and durability lasting him through to the end--see Sharkey, Fitz for examples.

Of course, on the flip side he survived a green Jeffries and a shot John L. Sullivan...but Jeffries' workrate would have been far below Rocky's, and John L. was too old to keep the fight up. So I'd still have to go with Marciano via (T)KO at some point later in the fight. It would probably be easier than the Charles or Walcott fights.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 07:44 PM   #27
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_trainer
Well, Fitz was able to start shoving him around on the inside after he got tired in the later rounds, and Sharkey roughed him up badly (though Sharkey was one of the dirtiest fighters in history). He would have been better technically on the inside than Marciano, but I just don't see his stamina and durability lasting him through to the end--see Sharkey, Fitz for examples.
Generally I bow to you on this era to the extent where I don't post to question what you say - but these are all later Corbett performances, no? When his stamina could be questioned perhaps?

What about the Jackson/Sullivan guy?

Personally I don't see Rocky stopping Corbett...and i think i'm picking Corbett to outpoint him.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 07:50 PM   #28
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

I belive if Fitz could do the trick, so can Rocky. I agree with Crosstrainer that Marciano stops Corbett, I think around the 11th round. Once Corbett starts slowing down, I think Marciano starts banging away were ever he can hit of couse. Marciano has the power, and UNDERATED speed to get Corbett out of there.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:52 PM   #29
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin
I've no doubt a prime Ali and Holmes would outbox Marciano. I also think Louis on the night of the Schmeling rematch would, too.
Louis would not outbox Marciano. He would probably give him such a bad beating tha Rocky would have to retire, but he wouldn't outbox him.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 07:55 PM   #30
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

I belive Marciano gets to Holmes when Holmes lowers his guard in the later rounds. Holmes lack the displine in that department. And having your hands lower vs Marciano would be a welcome over hand right. I think the Rock gives about any one hell imo. No way does Holmes or Ali just walk over Marciano like some posters are claiming. Could go either way. And it will be one of thsos brutal affairs.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum