Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-27-2007, 11:14 PM   #46
Leeroy
Do it Do it
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could ANYONE Have Outboxed Marciano?

Marciano had extremely underrated head movement,and could punch hard rouds 1 through 15. He fought good boxers,yet always came out on top.

In my opinion you would need great stamina,a huge reach advantage and great boxing skills - someone like Ali would be the best opponent to beat Marciano....

I still think Marciano wins against Ali in a late round KO......given that,I think the best option;someone who would have the best shot against Marciano would have been Joe Frazier.

Good jaw,with a reach advantage. Good head movement;better than Rocky's,with great power. It would have been a close fight......

Other than these two opponents,I don't see that many heavyweights who could decisively beat Rocky.
Leeroy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2007, 11:18 PM   #47
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe
Mikkel Kessler would outbox Marciano -fullstop-

He would have been smashed into two seperate peices.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 11:24 PM   #48
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
He would have been smashed into two seperate peices.
Probably -fullstop
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 11:31 PM   #49
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by startown81
You got to remember that Marciano was only 187lbs. Guys like Lewis, Holmes, Ali would be to big and fast for Rocky.
I can't imagine Lewis being too fast for Marciano.... Size may play a role, but through Lewis's career his chin was very accessible. It was good, but accessible, and that would hurt him.
Marnoff is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 11:33 PM   #50
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroy
Marciano had extremely underrated head movement,and could punch hard rouds 1 through 15. He fought good boxers,yet always came out on top.

In my opinion you would need great stamina,a huge reach advantage and great boxing skills - someone like Ali would be the best opponent to beat Marciano....

I still think Marciano wins against Ali in a late round KO......given that,I think the best option;someone who would have the best shot against Marciano would have been Joe Frazier.

Good jaw,with a reach advantage. Good head movement;better than Rocky's,with great power. It would have been a close fight......

Other than these two opponents,I don't see that many heavyweights who could decisively beat Rocky.
Mike Tyson would give him hell. As much as anyone else possibly could.
Marnoff is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #51
Quick Cash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

How many heavyweights from the top ten could Marciano have beat, really? I find it hard conceptualizing a hypothetical match-up wherein he'd obviously dominate
Quick Cash is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 10:18 AM   #52
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

I cannot imagine a worse fight for Marciano than Lewis -fullstop-
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 10:21 AM   #53
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Cash
How many heavyweights from the top ten could Marciano have beat, really? I find it hard conceptualizing a hypothetical match-up wherein he'd obviously dominate
If a fighter is good enough to be ranked in your top 20 then he ought to be able to give your number one a fairly stiff argument.

So no I don't think that he would necisarily dominate any of my top 10.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 10:31 AM   #54
groove
Contender
ESB Senior Member

every thread on Marciano that comes up they say he would take Ali cuz look what Frazier did to Ali in their first fight. That WASN'T PEAK ALI. Peak Ali was fighting in the mid 60s. Mid 60s Ali would've gave Ali 1971 a good beating. How a man who is out of the game for 3 1/2 years comes back and is called PEAK is beyond a joke. Unbelievable.
groove is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #55
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Greg Page, Pinklon Thomas, Tim Witherspoon.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 11:32 AM   #56
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Ezzard Charles is one of the greatest boxers who has ever lived. And Rocky beat him.
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 11:34 AM   #57
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1
Greg Page, Pinklon Thomas, Tim Witherspoon.
These overweight Heavyweights could run for a few rounds before they got there holes handed to them
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #58
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Quote:
Very much so! But this was his introduction to the big time. It would certainly be an exaggeration to call him green but it was a step up in class. I think I'm right in saying that Corbett maintained this was his hardest fight even after Sullivan...don't know what happened after that as most of my stuff comes from the Pollack book.

I like this fight for Corbett, though I'd agree with your observation. What I like about it is how he describes seeing Sullivan try to lower his arms, for a short rest, and that was always when he elected to push the action, when he'd seen a sign of Sullivan's tiredness. It is easier to beat a great fighter when they are short of stamina but I was impressed by how he organised things so perfectly in terms of pressure.

I feel that if Corbett is fighting, many inangibles may favour him - you must add 5% in terms of his chances unless he is in with a very smart general (as opposed to a capable one, which Rocky certainly was).

Yes; dissapionting that he even made these fights.

It's an intersting one; how does 25 rounds of hard fighting (plus 20 less hard) circa 1891 translate into stamina and energy in a VERY hard fight circa Rocky's era?

You're the man to ask, what do you think?
I think that, judging from the only film that exists of Corbett in a long fight, he fought at a lower pace--especially considering that the account of the fight I read claimed he was "fighting too fast". Against Jackson, who was a skilled, powerful counterpuncher like Fitz, he would probably have fought at a reasonable but not exceptional pace.

Quote:
You mean Rocky may manhandle Corbett with ease? I personally am not convinced. But it is possible.

No powder puff either by the sound of it. As you have indicated, the Kilrain an Mitchell fights were short...those boys may have been passed their best but they certianly needed to be put away.
True, but Kilrain was not put away, and Sullivan took a 20+ round beating before going down from exhaustion. Corbett did knock Fitz down, but it wasn't a 10-count and Fitz was a middleweight...as were Choynski and Mitchell, who were his other best knockouts. He may have hit hard enough to sting you when he wanted to, but I get the feeling that Rocky won't have much trouble taking his punches.

Quote:
Nor was it made of glass...I don't think he was there for the taking, put it that way...I'd see him getting dropped by Rocky's bigger shots, the defensive work would be crucial.

He may not have preferred it, but he could do it and as i've said, I like this habit he had of scoring on the way into a clinch.
Yes, he was good at hitting you as he was coming in. I just see Rocky's physicality and unexpectedly high workrate taking its toll. Corbett's skills may be good in the clinches, but it was never his "best strategy". Much of his energy would have to go into controlling Rocky, who I believe to be the physically stronger, more active man as well as the harder hitter.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 12:08 PM   #59
groove
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ezzard Charles lost to 2 fighters in the year before Marciano beat him. Don't overrate the win. Yeah he was great and it was a good victory for Marciano but this place stinks of hypocrisy. Ali beat Liston who was undefeated in 10 years and gets nowhere near the same amount of credit. Liston was shit, blah, blah, blah. Well he must've been well shit to be undefeated in 10 years. Go figure.
groove is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 12:13 PM   #60
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove
Ezzard Charles lost to 2 fighters in the year before Marciano beat him. Don't overrate the win. Yeah he was great and it was a good victory for Marciano but this place stinks of hypocrisy. Ali beat Liston who was undefeated in 10 years and gets nowhere near the same amount of credit.
The crucial diference is that Liston had been up untill the small hours of the morning at the craps table swilling back whisky the night before he fought Ali.

Charles had seen better days when he fought Marciano but hecame to give the fight of his life. The every great fighter has one last great fight in them bout.
janitor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum