Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-27-2007, 06:49 AM   #1
fg2227
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default ken norton overated or underated?

Also wondering what he does nowadays.
fg2227 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Default Re: ken norton overated or underated?

Itīs all relative. IMO heīs a bit underrated legacywise, but overrated head-to-head. He beat Ali 2 times out of 3, beat Holmes IMO, made some great fights against Young, Quarry, etc.. But head-to-head, I favour most ATGīs to beat him because of his suspect chin (Marciano, Jeffries, Dempsey, Frazier, Tyson, Holyfield, etc.)
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 07:24 AM   #3
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think he sits mostly where he should. I'd say balanced unlike many others. Norton doesn't seem to get the extremes like Tyson, Marciano and numerous others. Probably because, even at his best, he wasn't THAT fantastic.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 07:27 AM   #4
Sonny's jab

vCash:

I think he's a bit underrated.

His chin wasn't as bad as people say. There are guys who got stopped by Ali and Holmes and they dont get half as much of a bad rap on having a weak chin.
Oscar Bonavena & Ron Lyle fought Ali once each, and got knocked all fuzzy-eyed by single shots. Norton fought him 3 times and never got hurt.
I think Norton-Shavers was a case of who got the shot in first. And Norton just had the wrong style for fighting Foreman.

Norton certainly had his limitations, but he was a decent pressure boxer, awkward defensive style, good workrate, decent power and was VERY STRONG. One of the strongest heavyweight contenders in history.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:27 AM   #5
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I've heard more than one person complain about his entry into the Hall of Fame. How he was good but nothing exceptional in the time he fought in...

Last edited by JETSKI; 03-29-2006 at 11:05 PM.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 07:27 AM   #6
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Norton is one of those boxers who can give even the greatest fighter nightmares (Ali, Holmes) but at the same time can look like cannon fodder in quick knockout loss against punchers. That makes him hard to rate.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 07:29 AM   #7
garymcfall
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 944

I'd say he is probably over rated overall because of the Ali fights, his style was good to bother Ali and Holmes. He had a decent jab but his chin was bad, i have him at number 24 in my atg heavies list although he has been as high as 30 before.
garymcfall is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 07:30 AM   #8
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcfall
I'd say he is probably over rated overall because of the Ali fights, his style was good to bother Ali and Holmes. He had a decent jab but his chin was bad, i have him at number 24 in my atg heavies list although he has been as high as 30 before.
Style to bother Holmes?

He stood there and slugged it out with Holmes and gave the man absolute hell.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 07:36 AM   #9
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He's truly neither, though because of the Ali trilogy some may overrate him, but is underrated because he did beat some good fighters.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 07:44 AM   #10
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Yep basically. Where have you been anyways?

Hi Sweetpea!

Not that much time...

How are you?
Old 07-27-2007, 07:44 AM   #11
Sonny's jab

vCash:

I think Norton gets a bad rap on a lot of stuff.

People can say he looks like cannon fodder against punchers - and he might have done in certain big fights - but then they or others draw the conclusion that Norton would have got KO'd by any big puncher in history.

The truth is, Shavers and Foreman were too of the biggest punchers EVER.
I do believe Norton had stylistic limitations that prevented him from beating Foreman, but I think if he's fought Shavers 3 times he would have KO'd Earnie at least once. That's heavyweight boxing.

As for his loss to Cooney, he was so far past his best by then that it's hard to assess whether Cooney could have done the same against a "live" Norton.

Also, Norton's sucesses against Ali, and his close effort against Holmes are often portrayed as if Norton' stylistic advantages were almost just a "fluke" as if by accident he could do well against these fighters. There's nothing flukey about it. Norton was obviously in their class. He also beat Jimmy Young (yes, it was close, but I think Norton won for sure). He smacked out the much-hyped "white hope" puncher Duane Bobick in 1 round, and beat a fading and unprepared (but still VERY competitive) Jerry Quarry.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:56 AM   #12
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
I'm good, haven't seen you or SuzieQ49 in quite some time.

Yeah, SuzieQ49, I also didnīt read something from him, heīs probably under school stress or so...
Old 07-27-2007, 08:09 AM   #13
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I agree with Sonny's Jab, and I've often said so myself, that people get a bit carried away with calling Norton a " chiny " fighter. George Foreman, Earnie Shavers, and Gerry Cooney are among some of the hardest punchers. What's more, Norton fought two of those guys when he was past his best, while the third had that right combination of power and style to beat him. The fact is, Ken was one of the most best conditioned fighters in the sport's history. He never showed up out of shape. In 42 wins, he had victories over Ali, Quarry, Bobick, Young, Zannon, Cobb, Kirkman, and an avenged loss to Luis Garcia. Some also feel that he was robbed in his final meeting against Ali, and was possibly the toughest fight that a peak Larry Holmes ever had. No, I wouldn't say that he deserves to be rated quite as high as Ali, Frazier, Foreman, or Holmes, but frankly, I suspect that had he fought during some other era's, he might have been a respectable lineal champion.

The original author of this thread, asked what Norton is doing today. I'm not exactly sure myself, but I know that for the last 25 years or so, he's lived a pretty hard life of disability due to a car accident on the Santa Monica freeway during the early 80's. His son Ken Norton Jr. Was a very successful NFL football player during the 90's, and I believe is now retired himself.

Last edited by az_uclan; 03-30-2006 at 12:19 AM.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 08:28 AM   #14
fg2227
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Thanks, cant believe that he has no money left.
fg2227 is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 10:19 AM   #15
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
I think he's a bit underrated.

His chin wasn't as bad as people say. There are guys who got stopped by Ali and Holmes and they dont get half as much of a bad rap on having a weak chin.
Oscar Bonavena & Ron Lyle fought Ali once each, and got knocked all fuzzy-eyed by single shots. Norton fought him 3 times and never got hurt.
I think Norton-Shavers was a case of who got the shot in first. And Norton just had the wrong style for fighting Foreman.

Norton certainly had his limitations, but he was a decent pressure boxer, awkward defensive style, good workrate, decent power and was VERY STRONG. One of the strongest heavyweight contenders in history.
Very good post.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum