Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 08-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #61
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: "I'm a great now" - Khan

He does, regarding Owen though I have gone off him more as he has gotten older, unlike the tabloids.

Anyone who thinks that he actually gives a damn about Newcastle much be seriously daft.

The tabloids do, but I was always a fan of Linford Christie and Ian Botham, despite them being arch enemies of the redtops.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2008, 03:10 PM   #62
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler
He does, regarding Owen though I have gone off him more as he has gotten older, unlike the tabloids.

Anyone who thinks that he actually gives a damn about Newcastle much be seriously daft.

The tabloids do, but I was always a fan of Linford Christie and Ian Botham, despite them being arch enemies of the redtops.
I didnt like Owen after he left Liverpool but that's more a personal gripe. For the most part I think he's fairly non-offensive. Blatantly at Newcastle for the money but I didnt realise people thought otherwise.

With you on Christie and Botham.

What's your thoughts on what Khan can actually acheive?
PaddyD1983 is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #63
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I don't dislike him at all, but can see the £££ in his eyes, but at £105k a week when he is injury prone I can't say I blame him. I have to put up with being on a damn sight less than that in a year, as do most.

Khan..... pfft......

If he can improve the defence to a decent standard, I certainly see him winning a world title. He has plenty in his favour, mainly his hand speed and has decent power - perhaps a move up in weight will improve the chin as it has done a few others. Time will tell I suppose.

The LW division is stacked and I see him moving up to 140 prior to challenging for a title. Once Hatton goes in a years time, there will be nobody there that I would have too much confidence betting against Khan - all have plenty of weaknesses than can be seized upon.

Your thoughts?
Old 08-19-2008, 03:21 PM   #64
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler
I don't dislike him at all, but can see the in his eyes, but at 105k a week when he is injury prone I can't say I blame him. I have to put up with being on a damn sight less than that in a year, as do most.

Khan..... pfft......

If he can improve the defence to a decent standard, I certainly see him winning a world title. He has plenty in his favour, mainly his hand speed and has decent power - perhaps a move up in weight will improve the chin as it has done a few others. Time will tell I suppose.

The LW division is stacked and I see him moving up to 140 prior to challenging for a title. Once Hatton goes in a years time, there will be nobody there that I would have too much confidence betting against Khan - all have plenty of weaknesses than can be seized upon.

Your thoughts?
Similar

Too many good fighters at LW for him. Maybe in a year he'll improve to win a title at the weight, but yeah I see LWW being the best bet for him. If Victor Ortiz stays at LWW though I can see him dominating, Khan or no Khan but think Ortiz will probably move up to WW at some stage and fight to a good standard at that weight.

LW for me, Khan will not be a good enough boxer. He's got speed and strength but there's a massive gulf between him and people like Casa, Campbell and then the untested at the weight in Guzman and Pac. I dont even like mentioning Khan in the same breath as those. But he could win a title at the weight regardless (Julio Diaz did!).

I'd like to see him take on someone like David Diaz. I think its a good test for him and that Diaz is beatable but a good boxer. But it looks like I'm the only one picking Katsidis in that one, who in my opinion, would obliterate Khan.

LWW is the future for him and I think he could do well there. All depeding on, as you say, him sorting his defence out!
PaddyD1983 is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #65
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

If he sorts the defence out, I don't see too much of a problem, because despite his iffy chin he has heart and survival instincts reminiscent of Ricky Hatton.

Roy Jones has always been chinny, but managed to stay out of trouble with his superb defence. Now - not suggesting for a moment he will be anything like RJJ, just stating a principle Amir could follow.

Good luck to the kid, I don't have anything against him other than the constant bullshitting and delusion. I actually like watching him.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #66
KCD
All aboard.
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

What........a .........tit!!!!!

I seriously cant wait for him to get KTFO
KCD is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #67
Ghostface923
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

All he was saying is that hes up there with the greats because they fought on sky box office and now he is too. All he's doing is trying to hype up Sky box office so more people will pay to watch the fight, any fighter would do the same. People are just twisting it.

"To be up with Naz, Chris Eubank, Frank Bruno, Mike Tyson - they are living legends. To be alongside them on Sky Box Office, it means a lot to me and my family. When I took up boxing at the age of eight, this was my dream."
Ghostface923 is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2008, 05:11 PM   #68
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface923
All he was saying is that hes up there with the greats because they fought on sky box office and now he is too. All he's doing is trying to hype up Sky box office so more people will pay to watch the fight, any fighter would do the same. People are just twisting it.

"To be up with Naz, Chris Eubank, Frank Bruno, Mike Tyson - they are living legends. To be alongside them on Sky Box Office, it means a lot to me and my family. When I took up boxing at the age of eight, this was my dream."
I doubt it was his dream to be on Sky Box Office. He means it was his dream to be mentioned/ranked with the likes of Naz and Eubank which he certainly isn't though in his deluded mind he is. This is what makes Khan so hated-spewing shit like this. If he kept him mouth shut and worked hard in the gym then people would find him more appealing as a fighter.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #69
Ghostface923
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy
I doubt it was his dream to be on Sky Box Office. He means it was his dream to be mentioned/ranked with the likes of Naz and Eubank which he certainly isn't though in his deluded mind he is. This is what makes Khan so hated-spewing shit like this. If he kept him mouth shut and worked hard in the gym then people would find him more appealing as a fighter.
I think hes just hyping Sky Box Office more than anything. Theres no problem with that but i can understand some people may find him arrogant. But look at the thousands of view this thread and others get when its to do with him. If he kept his mouth shut would he still be getting this much attention?
Old 08-19-2008, 05:18 PM   #70
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

I havn't got a great deal of time for Khan but to see him get 5 pages of grief for a pretty harmless quote is pretty poor IMHO. All he's said thats he's happy to have made PPV status (admitedy he doesn't deserve it) like Naz, Tyson etc, thats all!!
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2008, 05:18 PM   #71
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface923
I think hes just hyping Sky Box Office more than anything. Theres no problem with that but i can understand some people may find him arrogant. But look at the thousands of view this thread and others get when its to do with him. If he kept his mouth shut would he still be getting this much attention?
This stuff is giving him negative press and won't make boxing fans buy the ppv. Most of the people on this site won't be buying it. Khan and ****** are hoping the general public will buy into this bullshit and order the fight on Sky Box Office.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2008, 05:24 PM   #72
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
I havn't got a great deal of time for Khan but to see him get 5 pages of grief for a pretty harmless quote is pretty poor IMHO. All he's said thats he's happy to have made PPV status (admitedy he doesn't deserve it) like Naz, Tyson etc, thats all!!
Maybe you are interpreting it incorrectly.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:25 PM   #73
Ghostface923
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy
This stuff is giving him negative press and won't make boxing fans buy the ppv. Most of the people on this site won't be buying it. Khan and ****** are hoping the general public will buy into this bullshit and order the fight on Sky Box Office.
What GazOC said is right. It was just a small quote that people are taking wayyy to far out of context. Thing is if people hate him it will get him more attention but i dont think the general public hate him. if anything Amir Khan is watch more and is more well known than Calzaghe in England. i think its 50/50 wheather the sales of this fight will be a success though.

I think people hate him because they think hes arrogant. He has to be confident, as a fighter he has to believe he can fight with the best otherwise where is he going to end up?
Old 08-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #74
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
Maybe you are interpreting it incorrectly.
Well I do have a pretty low IQ, perhaps you could misquote Khan further to make more obvious to me what a horrible human being he really is?
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #75
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
Well I do have a pretty low IQ, perhaps you could misquote Khan further to make more obvious to me what a horrible human being he really is?
I don't see your problem. If SkySports misquote Khan (and many other reputable sources) as Trotter claims, what chance has little old me got?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum