boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Glen Johnson V Joe Calzaghe - in 2004 - at Light Heavyweight - who wins?
Glen Johnson KO/TKO 6 12.24%
Glen Johnson PTS 1 2.04%
Joe Calzaghe KO/TKO 1 2.04%
Joe Calzaghe PTS 41 83.67%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #16
Rebel-INS
Mighty Healthy
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Glen Johnson V Joe Calzaghe 2004 at LH, who wins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilson
Johnson KO round 2. China chinned Joe would retire in shame.
Johnson has barely any power whatsoever, and Calzaghe has a very good chin.
Rebel-INS is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #17
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

This would have been a real good 175 fight for Calzaghe. Johnson never beats him. A tough fight who walks forward but is technically sloppy won't beat Joe. Joe will keep touching him so much that you'll have to question his ***uality. Joe won't miss. He'd paint him from top to bottom. Seriously, Joe is all wrong for Glen.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2008, 02:56 PM   #18
Brummy1976
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCD
Joe Calzaghe easy UD.

Johnson is a good solid pro but as Kurt said he is vastly overated. He has basically lost to every good fighter he fought excluding Jones Jnr and Tarver.

Calzaghe is too fast and accurate and he would have a field day with Johnson in the manner he did with Lacy.
Most of johnsons loses were close affairs mate, bar hopkins of course
Brummy1976 is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #19
LiamE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummy1976
Thats the difference isnt it?

Joe finds a way to win close fights, Johnson doesn't.
LiamE is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2008, 07:34 AM   #20
rumour24tiger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

This thread isn't being fair to Johnson.

Joe gets fights at the right time, Johnson doesn't.

Another difference is, Johnson has fought just about anyone, whereas Joe has been wrapped in cotton wool as they say.

Johnson has a claim to beating Dawson, a fast, young fighter. Glen couldn't quite finish him, but he had plenty of answers for Dawson. Dawson should have been the worst fight out there for Johnson, yet he seemed to improve on the Tarver fights.

He's a very dangerous fight for Joe. It wouldnot be a replay of Lacy. Johnson knows how to fight a LOT of styles. Whether he performed or not, whether he won, lost or got robbed, Glen learned a lot vs Eric Harding, Derrick Harmon, Tarver, Julio Gonzalez, Ottke. Some serious seasoning, usually in adverse circumstances. Basically, GJ would not be intimidated figthing in front of a load of Welsh fans.

Yes, Joe finds a way. Yes, Joe has the winning ingredient. No, Joe does not beat Johnson easily at all. You wouldn't exactly say prime Joe beat Brewer and Mitchell "easily", would you? Johnson is a bit better than them with more longevity.

In 2004, Joe wasn't acting like much of a champion. Johnson was having an excellent run. That fight would either have woken Calzaghe up, or given him a serious scare/setback!
rumour24tiger is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2008, 08:33 AM   #21
KCD
All aboard.
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummy1976

Not arguing that they werent close, but if you ever listen to Johnson its as though he ran away with the fight. His loss against Daniel Judah was defintley a robbery.

The only guy who ive heard him give props to is Hopkins, which he cant really ***** about as he was stopped.
KCD is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2008, 11:21 AM   #22
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumour24tiger
This thread isn't being fair to Johnson.

Joe gets fights at the right time, Johnson doesn't.

Another difference is, Johnson has fought just about anyone, whereas Joe has been wrapped in cotton wool as they say.

Johnson has a claim to beating Dawson, a fast, young fighter. Glen couldn't quite finish him, but he had plenty of answers for Dawson. Dawson should have been the worst fight out there for Johnson, yet he seemed to improve on the Tarver fights.

He's a very dangerous fight for Joe. It wouldnot be a replay of Lacy. Johnson knows how to fight a LOT of styles. Whether he performed or not, whether he won, lost or got robbed, Glen learned a lot vs Eric Harding, Derrick Harmon, Tarver, Julio Gonzalez, Ottke. Some serious seasoning, usually in adverse circumstances. Basically, GJ would not be intimidated figthing in front of a load of Welsh fans.

Yes, Joe finds a way. Yes, Joe has the winning ingredient. No, Joe does not beat Johnson easily at all. You wouldn't exactly say prime Joe beat Brewer and Mitchell "easily", would you? Johnson is a bit better than them with more longevity.

In 2004, Joe wasn't acting like much of a champion. Johnson was having an excellent run. That fight would either have woken Calzaghe up, or given him a serious scare/setback!
I'm inclined to agree. Sure it's probable that Joe would win, but I don't think it's as certain as these poll results show. Joe was never to keen too get in the ring with Johnson - that must say something.

If Johnson can cause Dawson problems now, I don't see why he couldn't give Calzaghe a headache around the time Johnson was knocking Jones out. Sure Calzaghe may well win but it's not a total and utter walk over like people are making out.
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #23
Bodysnatcher
Champion
East Side Guru

edit

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 02-14-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Bodysnatcher is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2008, 01:00 PM   #24
KCD
All aboard.
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher
One thing I always wanted to know, being an admirer of Johnson, was just how many of his losses were definite or likely robberies.

I mean, I asked on the main board recently who had seen Johnson vs Sheika and not one person answered.

I saw his fight with Daniel Judah and i think it ended in a draw, although in a previous reply i put down that he lost......anyways Johnson didnt win, but he should have, i had him 3 rounds up.

Also i saw him against Sven Ottke and for the first time in history i actually lasted the fight but in all fairness to Ottke he won that fight.
KCD is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum