Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Twitter MMA Facebook Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
Boxing125
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Interesting Joe Louis story

This is taken from the autobiography Nosher. Nosher Powell was a London based sparring partner for British based Heavyweights in the 1940s and 1950s. He was of the opinion that Nino Valdes ( who he briefly spared with) was the greatest heavyweight never to have become heavyweight champion and that he looked frightening in the gym when preparing for a fight against Joe Erskine.

If I find the book I will edit the post to give a word by word account of his story about Joe Louis but I will describe it as I remember it.

' During the war I got the opportunity of my life. I got to spend a month as Joe Louis's sparring partner. Even now I cannot believe that it happened. We spent lots of time together talking about boxing and Joe was the most polite and helpful person in the world.

In reality Joe was more of a teacher to me than I was a sparring partner to him. In the gym he would praise my left hook but when we sparred it was really just to keep him ticking over. He would only ever lightly jab me and I never got hit with any of his bombs. Except once. He let go with a right hand and I can tell you it was like being hit by a truck! I could feel my legs go as I staggered and I was about to fall when Joe yelled ' stomp your feet Nosh' and I stomped as hard and fast as I could and remarkably the feeling came back into my legs and I didnt fall. Joe said ' sorry there Nosh I let go with a loose one there'.

A conversation I remember us having was when Joe said ' My greatest night wasn't when I beat Schmeling in the first round or Braddock when I won the title it was when I beat Max Baer. I knocked him out in the 4th, but that night I felt like I could fight all night!'

I think there is a bit more about Joe Louis ( I think it was during his time in the army in the war) in the book but I cant remember the rest.
Boxing125 is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2015, 01:57 PM   #2
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Interesting Joe Louis story

Kool stuff
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #3
impacted
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Good story, and refreshing after years of the nonsense claimed in books by bully boys along the lines of Lenny Mclean and co.
impacted is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2015, 04:10 PM   #4
SuzieQ49
P4P King
East Side VIP

Nino Valdes was dangerous
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2015, 04:10 PM   #5
SuzieQ49
P4P King
East Side VIP

Did Nosher Powell speculate on Marciano vs Valdes?
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2015, 04:16 PM   #6
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 137

Good story. Sounds exactly like Louis.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2015, 04:51 PM   #7
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

The Joe Louis who kod Max Baer would have surely caught up to at some point, and ko'd Clay/Ali, were they to have met. Just look at Louis with his triple left hooks and swift murderous combinations. Once this version of Joe Louis hurt you the game was over and sayonara...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2015, 06:01 PM   #8
Wass1985
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
The Joe Louis who kod Max Baer would have surely caught up to at some point, and ko'd Clay/Ali, were they to have met. Just look at Louis with his triple left hooks and swift murderous combinations. Once this version of Joe Louis hurt you the game was over and sayonara...
The question is could he take the leather that Ali would be landing on him? Ali would be hitting him fast and hard with combinations, I personally think Louis would wilt under the onslaught.
Wass1985 is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2015, 07:21 PM   #9
Boxing125
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by impacted View Post
Good story, and refreshing after years of the nonsense claimed in books by bully boys along the lines of Lenny Mclean and co.
What nonsense was claimed by bully boys?
Boxing125 is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #10
ribtickler68
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wass1985 View Post
The question is could he take the leather that Ali would be landing on him? Ali would be hitting him fast and hard with combinations, I personally think Louis would wilt under the onslaught.
I don't.
ribtickler68 is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2015, 07:25 PM   #11
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Oh I see ! The "light" punching Joe Louis will "wilt" under the onslaught of the "murderous " punching Ali.... And the earth is "up" and the sky is "down"...Oh welllll
Old 08-17-2015, 07:31 PM   #12
ribtickler68
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Oh I see ! The "light" punching Joe Louis will "wilt" under the onslaught of the "murderous " punching Ali.... And the earth is "up" and the sky is "down"...Oh welllll
It's entirely possible Joe could out jab Ali, Burt. And if he does, Ali is toast.
ribtickler68 is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2015, 11:54 PM   #13
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribtickler68 View Post
It's entirely possible Joe could out jab Ali, Burt. And if he does, Ali is toast.
Ken Norton made it so tough for Ali, because he jabbed, jabbed and jabbed Ali making it uncomfortable for Ali. Jimmy Braddock after he was kod by Joe Louis, testified that Louis's jab "felt like
a light bulb exploded in my face"...So damaging was Louis's jabbing...
This is my contention about Clay/Ali...It was his flamboyant
personality and colorful antics that made him thought of as the
"greatest", every bit as much as his true ability...He did not annihilate his opponents like Joe Louis did , holding the HWt title for 13 years...He had trouble with a Doug Jones, Ken Norton, Jimmy Young etc. Joe Frazier beat him in the FOTC I saw at MSG.
Ali was brave no doubt, agile and a showman but there was only one Joe Louis and we must not forget it...
Old 08-18-2015, 12:43 AM   #14
BlackCloud
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Exactly that Wass.
People are all too quick to mention how hard Louis may hit but seem oblivious to the fact he would have his face used like a speedball by a '67 Ali.
And once again they resort to using the Doug Jones fight as a guide.

Looking at both their careers and the opponents they fought, Ali presents a far, far bigger problem for Louis to solve than vice versa.
BlackCloud is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2015, 05:17 AM   #15
mcvey
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
Exactly that Wass.
People are all too quick to mention how hard Louis may hit but seem oblivious to the fact he would have his face used like a speedball by a '67 Ali.
And once again they resort to using the Doug Jones fight as a guide.

Looking at both their careers and the opponents they fought, Ali presents a far, far bigger problem for Louis to solve than vice versa.
Ali fought an extensive collection of ko punchers, only one ever beat him,once out of three attempts.
Louis was outboxed by 168lbs Conn for 13rounds.
mcvey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum