Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-28-2007, 02:07 AM   #1
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Larry Holmes vs. Evander Holyfield 1992

How good do you think Larry looked in that fight with Holyfield? I thought Holmes fought a brilliant defensive fight against Evander, but offensively, he didn't do much. I know Holmes blamed his lack of vigor on his contact lens being knocked out of one of his eyes in the third round, which caused his equilibrium to be thrown off. Not sure how much credence I give to that theory.
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Larry Holmes vs. Evander Holyfield 1992

I think it's more accurate to simply say Holmes didn't have the legs anymore. The savvy and instinct were still there, which allowed him to potshot pretty effectively, and pick off and block a number of punches, but a sustained effort was out of the question at that point. His guile, savvy, and experience were enough to hold off a smaller, less skilled, and less experienced guy like Holyfield, but at that stage, that's about all he could do.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 02:35 AM   #3
anut
Belt holder
ESB Addict

holmes at age 42 beats a 42 yr old holy...........but back in 92 yes it was a case of holmes having no legs
anut is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 04:37 AM   #4
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan
I think it's more accurate to simply say Holmes didn't have the legs anymore. The savvy and instinct were still there, which allowed him to potshot pretty effectively, and pick off and block a number of punches, but a sustained effort was out of the question at that point. His guile, savvy, and experience were enough to hold off a smaller, less skilled, and less experienced guy like Holyfield, but at that stage, that's about all he could do.
Nailed it for me.
Holmes's best round was probably the 2nd, where it was looking like Holmes-Mercer all over again, but the biggest problem Holmes had throughout his whole 'comeback career' was his stamina. As an older guy, it could never be as good as it was.

I had Holyfield a winner to the tune of about 9-3, 8-4 at a stretch. Holmes made him look bad at times, but he was still the busier guy.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 07:41 AM   #5
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan
Holyfield was in his prime in 1992. I recently saw some of Holyfield fights with Cooper, Foreman, and Douglas, and my conclusion was Holyfield slowed down a bit in the mid 1990’s, and was in clear decline when he first meet Lennox Lewis.

While Holyfield defeated Holmes, I think this fight showed us that a good boxer like Holmes could land on Holyfield. Holmes was a master boxer. Holmes problem was he was too old ( 42 ) to throw enough punches to win a match vs a prime Holyfield. Holyfield won the fight 8-4, or 7-4-1 on my archived card. At one point in the fight, Holmes managed to cut Holyfield.

Sometimes in boxing, an older fighter can lose the fight but still prove a point. Foreman, and Tyson did not do as well vs Holyfield. I think Holmes did better than most thought he could do. He proved his point even if he did not win the fight.

It’s a pity most in boxing fail to see the significance of this fight. It had a real impact on Holyfield’s career. After the Holmes fight, the top trainers noted what Holmes could do. Then Bowe, Moorer, and Lewis used similar game plans to defeat Holyfield.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Think it was about the 6th round...? when Holmes cut Holyfield. It was due to an accidental elbow while throwing a punch, rather than an intended punch though.

Still, it was a potentially nasty one, and Holy looked a little uncertain in the next round due to it. But Ace Miranda did a bravura job stopping the bleeding and Holy got back to his gameplan.

That Holyfield then ditched Ace before his next fight and complained he cost too much never sat right with me, I hate to say...the old guy did a great job that night.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Holmes looked good, even made Holyfield look foolish a couple of times, but only for a few rounds.
The majority of the fight Holmes just went into walkabout survival mode.

Holyfield showed some smarts in there too, he adjusted his attacks after a few rounds so as to not leave the openings for Larry.

I thought Holmes won 3 rounds maybe. But in his prime I think he'd beat Holyfield.
The best Holmes had a style to beat the best Holyfield, IMO.

The two greatest heavyweights since Ali & Frazier, IMO.
(But I understand the arguments for LL)

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum