Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who gave Calzaghe his toughest ever fight?
Sakio Bika 7 7.78%
Bernard Hopkins 26 28.89%
Richie Woodhall 2 2.22%
David Starie 0 0%
Omar Sheika 0 0%
Chris Eubank 13 14.44%
Mikkel Kessler 12 13.33%
Robin Reid 29 32.22%
Jeff Lacy 1 1.11%
Other eg Tocker Pudwill etc.. please state 0 0%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #31
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Who gave Calzaghe his toughest ever fight?

Triple post...
JonOli is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #32
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
That happens a hell of a lot, I always watch the fighters and their corners faces before the verdict is announced.
Yea it does, I haven't noticed it so obvious as in that fight though. Perhaps its because the result was a reverse of what the faces were originally showing, or perhaps it's because I had a fair few pounds riding on it.

I backed Bernard originally at the long odds, then layed my bet off in round 3 or 4, and stuck some on Joe at the longer odds; as his price had drifted due the early knockdown and being behind.
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #33
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

triple post... yikes
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #34
D-MAC
Champion
East Side Guru

I went for Reid, but come to think about it the fight with Byron Mitchell was the closest that Joe has come to a TKO/KO defeat. He looked ****ed after the kd; it was a monstrous punch. If Mitchell had have picked his shots, instead of going in all guns blazing, he could well have stopped Joe. It was short, but it was a hell of a tough fight.
D-MAC is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2008, 07:10 PM   #35
Ilesey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Calzaghe has mentioned in the past that Eubank gave him his hardest fight and I can see why. In my opinion his toughest fight was with Kessler, who held his own very well early on. Hopkins is worth a runner up prize as well.
Ilesey is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #36
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

One thing that strangely is hardley ever mentioned about the Hopkins fight is that it was Calzaghes first ever outing at LH. Some fighters take an easy fight at the new weight to acclimatise first.
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #37
loko
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Robin reid. It was a really good fight. Bike gave him a good fight, i gave him the last four rounds. I can only assume he didnt take him seriously. I actually loved the Bike fight though. Joe bammed him up like a retard for the first few rounds, it was really funny, patting him on the head and shit. But Robin really did give a good fight, Joe fought Robins fight that night but Joe won by two rounds in my opinion, still it was a hard nights work.
loko is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2008, 08:04 PM   #38
ryanty22
VRWC Sledgehammer
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
Robin Reid. He was never in danger of losing to Hopkins despite looking horrible if you can actually score a fight, the supposed controversy which is down to the inept scoring of a stupid bitch is a miscarriage of justice

There was only a couple points in it against prime Robin, very underrated fighter.
woah little anger there partner? she cant be that stupid and i dont know her so i cant say whether she is a bitch or not. she has scored tons of fights and alot of elite level fights too. ill agree i didnt have hopkins winning the fight i had it a draw with several rounds being able to go either way which is how hopkins fights allways look. and just about everyone ive talked to viewed it the same way. id say that was calzaghes toughest fight and the closest ive heard of him coming to losing
ryanty22 is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2008, 08:12 PM   #39
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanty22
woah little anger there partner? she cant be that stupid and i dont know her so i cant say whether she is a bitch or not. she has scored tons of fights and alot of elite level fights too. ill agree i didnt have hopkins winning the fight i had it a draw with several rounds being able to go either way which is how hopkins fights allways look. and just about everyone ive talked to viewed it the same way. id say that was calzaghes toughest fight and the closest ive heard of him coming to losing
I was angry at the time, but not now. All is well that ends well.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:44 AM   #40
TheH1tMan
Contender
ESB Senior Member

According to Joe himself, Kessler is the best fighter he has met.

However he has said that the Lacy fight and the Eubank fight very just as exciting for him due to the context they happened in. Remember that Hopkins would have been given 1 round by the refs if it had happened in Cardiff, Wales with 50.000 spectators. As such, I don't think there is much doubt that it is Kessler.

Reid could be one to consider but Calzaghe was injured so that doesn't really count.
TheH1tMan is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2008, 02:01 AM   #41
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict

Reid, that was the only fight I thought Calzaghe lost or came close to losing.

The wierd thing was that after 12 rounds against Hopkins, the live oddsmakers made Hopkins a strong favourtie and so did most people it seems, the decision shocked a lot of folks.
Betty Swollocks is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2008, 02:16 AM   #42
TheH1tMan
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Swollocks
Reid, that was the only fight I thought Calzaghe lost or came close to losing.

The wierd thing was that after 12 rounds against Hopkins, the live oddsmakers made Hopkins a strong favourtie and so did most people it seems, the decision shocked a lot of folks.
I have never meet anyone that thinks it was remotely close. The only place I have seem some people claiming it was close is here os ESB. It was of course not close at all and I can only assume that the people that think it was close - are either kidding or very biased towards their own nationality.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:23 AM   #43
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheH1tMan
I have never meet anyone that thinks it was remotely close. The only place I have seem some people claiming it was close is here os ESB. It was of course not close at all and I can only assume that the people that think it was close - are either kidding or very based towards their own nationality.
I thought Calzaghe won clearly, but i'm telling you for a fact that Calzaghe was 3/1 at the end of 12 rounds and pretty big money was being exchanged at that mark, and on Hopkins at 1.40.
I think a part of that was folks didn't think Cal would get the nod in Vegas, but still 3/1 was making him as big outsider.
also, some respected boxing scribes had Hopkins winning.
Betty Swollocks is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2008, 02:28 AM   #44
TheH1tMan
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I thought Calzaghe won clearly, but i'm telling you for a fact that Calzaghe was 3/1 at the end of 12 rounds and pretty big money was being exchanged at that mark, and on Hopkins at 1.40.
I think a part of that was folks didn't think Cal would get the nod in Vegas, but still 3/1 was making him as big outsider.
Yes, I watched the fight in Europe (not the UK) and noone thought it was remotely close. So these impartial countries were not in doubt. That some Americans thought that Calzaghe would not get his clear win in Vegas - well, yeah, but Hopkins on the other hand would hve gotten only round one on the score cards in Wales. In the rest of the rounds he did hardly anything and this would have been scored like that in Wales.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:37 AM   #45
LiamE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Many respected boxing scribes said Lacy was going to KO Joe.
LiamE is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum