Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
sues2nd
Fading into Bolivian...
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default The Anti-American sentiment on here...

First, I want to ask all of the mods on here to PLEASE leave this in this section of the forums....it is more valid in here in this section than anywhere else on the board.

Please...and thank you.

Now onto the post....

Ok, let me start by saying why I am making this post. As of late on here, I have noticed a huge rise in the negativity toward anything US on this forum coming from the non-us posters. Whether it be US fighters....US events....or most notably US posters.

Its become that if you favor say, Mayweather over Hatton...you do so because your from the United States. Never mind any real concrete reason.

Recently I have had this said to me because of the following...

1- I felt Whitaker would beat KT.
2- I felt PRIME Holyfield would beat Sultan.
3- I feel Hopkins still poses a huge threat to Calzaghe.

As I said, its like noone can even argue a point anymore without bringing this into the arguement....valid or not. Before, I would take this as admission of the fact that they couldnt bring anything concrete into the arguement....but the rise in this stupidity has made it MUCH more prevelent as of late. I have even seen posters that I respect HIGHLY use this.

What set this all off was this was brought up during a discussion of ALL TIME FAVORITE FIGHTERS!!!!!!!!!! What does where a fighter or a fan is from have to do with why you like them? NOTHING...thats what.

And dont get me wrong, if someone were to bring up that the mainstream US media severely underrates foriegn fighters....I would 100% agree. But, that does not lend credance for the most part here. And to be just as honest, the non-US posters on here are just as bad, if not worse in some cases as the aformentioned media outlets....and double that for the US posters....its rare we use this as an arguement (mostly when its something ridiculous that is said...never just as the meat of our point).

Sorry to go on a rant here, but I KNOW FOR A FACT that I am not the only US poster on here that is sick of this bullshit. I under most circumstances know my shit when it comes to this sport....I form my opinions off of what I have seen, what I have learned and what I know....not where I was born.

So, to all of you out there that seem to dip into the above-mentioned well everytime its a US vs Non-US fighter post....next time, please, do some research, form an opinion and attempt to present this opinion using actual boxing knowledge, rather than letting your nationalistic views cloud your judgement and ruin your posts...

(again, I hope we can keep this in the General Boxing Forum...it really doesnt apply anywhere else....and sorry for the rant....but this is just getting old and ****ing annoying)
sues2nd is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
El Bombasto
Ask yo momma
ESB Addict

Default Re: The Anti-American sentiment on here...

I haven't noticed any particular animosity towards US posters in this forum, but this is a forum, and unfortunately the anonymous nature of it seems to embolden people to say some fairly offensive things. However, it's worth pointing out that the biggest A-Holes in here are all US based.
El Bombasto is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
King Dan
Sugar Shane/Bad Chad
ESB Addict

vCash: 129

Agree with sues2nd.

It doesn't matter though.

People feel how they feel.

If American boxing fans think European fans hype their fighters even harder to make up for something, then so be it.
King Dan is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
sues2nd
Fading into Bolivian...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gorgeous
I haven't noticed any particular animosity towards US posters in this forum, but this is a forum, and unfortunately the anonymous nature of it seems to embolden people to say some fairly offensive things. However, it's worth pointing out that the biggest A-Holes in here are all US based.
Its not so much an animosity...as it is a negative outlook on.

Like any good US fighter is a media creation. Like anytime a US poster feels a US fighter would beat a non-US one....they do so, not because of careful analisys, but because they reside within US borders.

And trust me, its out there. I dont know where you are located (if its outside of the US, then it may explain why you dont see it as much...) but trust me, ITS PREVELANT!!! Its all over the place. I know many, MANY of the US posters here complain all of the time to each other about it. Its in almost every post of the like (US fighter vs non-US fighter).

And on top of it all, its hypocritical. Seeing as how, most of the time, there is never any points to correspond with it. Never any type of fact to back their opinion....but just, YOU FAVOR THE US GUY CAUSE HE IS FROM THE US!

Its getting disgusting...and trust me, I aint the only one sick of it.
sues2nd is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
El Bombasto
Ask yo momma
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues2nd
Its not so much an animosity...as it is a negative outlook on.

Like any good US fighter is a media creation. Like anytime a US poster feels a US fighter would beat a non-US one....they do so, not because of careful analisys, but because they reside within US borders.

And trust me, its out there. I dont know where you are located (if its outside of the US, then it may explain why you dont see it as much...) but trust me, ITS PREVELANT!!! Its all over the place. I know many, MANY of the US posters here complain all of the time to each other about it. Its in almost every post of the like (US fighter vs non-US fighter).

And on top of it all, its hypocritical. Seeing as how, most of the time, there is never any points to correspond with it. Never any type of fact to back their opinion....but just, YOU FAVOR THE US GUY CAUSE HE IS FROM THE US!

Its getting disgusting...and trust me, I aint the only one sick of it.
I understand your frusteration. Usually when a poster falls back on comments like that it's a pretty good indicator that they do not have much boxing knowledge and are not worth your time. A lot of these guys are just kids looking to start flame wars. Once the conversation goes south, I just stop responding.
El Bombasto is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 07:05 PM   #6
King Dan
Sugar Shane/Bad Chad
ESB Addict

vCash: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gorgeous
I understand your frusteration. Usually when a poster falls back on comments like that it's a pretty good indicator that they do not have much boxing knowledge and are not worth your time. A lot of these guys are just kids looking to start flame wars. Once the conversation goes south, I just stop responding.

King Dan is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 07:11 PM   #7
a.arthur.h
Original Lightning

vCash: 570

I haven't noticed it too much, but I've never paid much attention to anyone who is just being ignorant, I just read the next post when I realize it. You are right on the money though, where you are from does not mean anything other than where you are from. I'm from Canada, and I'm a fan of fighters who are from Samoa, Haiti, Russia, Japan, and many other places.

Where you are from doesn't matter, its the knowledge (preferably unbiased) that you possess that matters. Bringing someone's nationality into a discussion/arguement, is no better than bringing someone's race into an arguement. There are stupid and smart people everywhere, regardless of nationality.
a.arthur.h is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 07:17 PM   #8
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

vCash: 138

Yeah I agree with the thread starter there are certain posters here who hate anything American.
Pimp C is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 07:18 PM   #9
Cookie
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

You can't moderate the quality of someone's posts. If someone thinks all US fighters are hype, or that all European fighters are bums because they don't fight in the US, then that's what they think.

Considering the only thing remotely close to a screening process here is the question "are you 13 years of age or over?" it's little surprise that there's a hefty portion of morons around.
Cookie is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 07:26 PM   #10
sues2nd
Fading into Bolivian...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie
You can't moderate the quality of someone's posts. If someone thinks all US fighters are hype, or that all European fighters are bums because they don't fight in the US, then that's what they think.

Considering the only thing remotely close to a screening process here is the question "are you 13 years of age or over?" it's little surprise that there's a hefty portion of morons around.

Oh and tobkhan, what you said cant be any further from the truth....

But as for my main reason of starting thread...It wasnt to raise the quality of posters (tho I still think there should be SOME type of entrance exam or whatever for here....weed out the idiots...jk, but wouldnt it be great!!!) I think its more to bring it to light. Make it known that its getting obvious...getting ridiculous...getting annoying....

Like I said, I can think of at least 20 people (a couple NON US guys) that have either mentioned this in a post as fact or said it directly to me.

It just got to me....saying you cant have your OWN FAVORITE list from where ever the hell you want is borderline insanity.
sues2nd is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 07:29 PM   #11
Druid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I think this happens across the board and as a lot of sports is about supporting your local/country Team/Player it is natural that this would occur somewhat here, it is tribalism and the world would be better off without it, but to take it personally is being overly sensitive as it is cultural indoctrination and US posters are just as guilty of behaving this way.
Druid is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #12
Dekkers
Team Bergeron
ESB Senior Member

I think the reality of the situation is that this bias exists both inside and outside the U.S. Americans will favour or overrate the fighters they see more of and do the opposite for fighters they see less, same with people outside the U.S.

If an American is blunt and dismissive on points made about international fighters (and vice-versa), they can expect some tit for tat and backlash, as it's human nature.
Dekkers is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 07:45 PM   #13
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict

That guy Odo is the worst

I'm glad this has been brought up
Cruiser1 is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 07:50 PM   #14
Dekkers
Team Bergeron
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Most of it comes from BoppaZoo. If a fighter is Australian he automatically wins any head to head matchup easily. He talks exclusively about Australian fighters. He said Kostya Tszyu was more likely a top 10 ATG than Whitaker and that he would KO Whitaker!
I know you and he have disagreed a lot, but you shouldn't make stuff up to make someone look bad. Especially that first point about picking any Australian fighter to win easily.
Dekkers is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 07:54 PM   #15
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1117

It's both sides guys .

He's a bum he's never fought outside of Europe/you're just overating him because he's American .

You gotta take the good with the bad , and there's a lot of good and bad posters here . You just got to filtir through the crap .
BigEars is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum