Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-28-2007, 07:57 PM   #16
Tom_Tocca
The Provider
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Anti-American sentiment on here...

I think I am one of the most unbiased posters on this board and you know why?

It's because, like someone else mentioned before in this thread that I watched alot of both fights in the US and Europe.

My detailled judgement on a fighter might be not the best but most of the time I can bring up the main point why someone is better than the other...
Tom_Tocca is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 07:58 PM   #17
sues2nd
Fading into Bolivian...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobkhan
Okay, than explain to me why so many of your fellow Americans call European fighters as bums or unproven or things like that just because they arenīt fighting in the states?
Well, lets look at what you said for a second.

The biggest fights are generally made in the states. Hatton knew this, that is why he left the comfort of his home to show his skills here.

I have heard this said.

Calzaghe has stayed overseas fighting average to below average fighters for a very long time. Even he has stated his desire to do this.

I have heard that said.

Now, as for people who state Joe is a bum for not doing it yet....yes there are some that say it. I didnt say it didnt exist, but for every one US moron who does this....there are 5 non-US posters doing the same or worse.

Let me tell you a few things that were said to ME (I have been a regular on here for a LOOOOONG time....people know I know my shit....even the ones that dont nessesarily agree with what I say will tell ya that) that have led me to feeling this way and just getting fed up.

1- I stated a while back in a post about Pernell Whitaker vs KT that I favored Whitaker. I gave reasons (he fought better comp...he has the physical edge in most areas other than power...he has never been anywhere close to being KOd, and seeing as how he is easily the better boxer, KT would need a KO win and bigger punchers never could do it....etc). Basically gave a well thoughtout arguement. And I was told by about 10 different posters that Im just an american picking the american fighter....nothing else.

2- After Sultan beat Briggs, some idiot made a post about Sultan "destroying" a PRIME Evander Holyfield. I mentioned why I wouldnt think this is possible (Evander is much higher output fighter than Briggs...has a better chin...is more skilled...has proven it vs the better comp...etc.). And again....I only felt that way according to quite a few because I am american.

3- There is a favorite fighters post on here, asking what people's all time favorite fighters are (top 5). Well, after a few pages, someone said that non-US posters are picking non-US and US fighters...yet US posters arent....yet, looking back, many US posters picked foriegn (to them at least) born fighters...Mexican, PR, Canadian, European, etc. In other words, once again, there was nothing to back it up other than someones utter disdain for anything american....not even the replies RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEIR FACES! And again, who cares where someone is from if they are one of your favorites????

There are tons more...these are just a few that popped out in my mind....as well as the one that set it off.

So like I said, I can understand that it wouldnt jump out nessesarily to you, being a non-US poster (not that you are one of the guilty ones...just that if its not directed toward you, it sometimes is hard to see)....but as a regular poster on here for YEARS...I can tell you that as of the last few months (always kinda been here, just been utterly ridiculous lately)....its been like 5 to 1 non-US idiots to their american counterparts using nationalism as an arguement as opposed to knowledge.
sues2nd is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 07:58 PM   #18
Dekkers
Team Bergeron
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
I was obviously exagerrating, but any time someone comes up with a fantasy thread about someone vs an Australian fighter he always pops up in mostly those threads only and defends the Australian fighter to the death. That last part he most certainly did say, I didn't make that up at all.
Fair enough, though personally having seen a lot of Tszyu if any 140 pound fighter is capable of knocking out Pernell it's Kostya, there's a huge gap between saying that, and saying it with any certainty or saying it's an easy fight. Most people respect Pernell, but to say Tszyu has no chance or would be clowned by Pernell is to fall on the other side of the fence when it comes to bias.
Dekkers is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2007, 08:10 PM   #19
sues2nd
Fading into Bolivian...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekkers
Fair enough, though personally having seen a lot of Tszyu if any 140 pound fighter is capable of knocking out Pernell it's Kostya, there's a huge gap between saying that, and saying it with any certainty or saying it's an easy fight. Most people respect Pernell, but to say Tszyu has no chance or would be clowned by Pernell is to fall on the other side of the fence when it comes to bias.
See, that type of arguement, even tho I dont agree, I can respect and go back and forth with just fine.

But, I was with Sweet Pea in that post about KT - Whitaker....and there were quite a few people in there saying we only felt that way cause Pernell was from the states.
sues2nd is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #20
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues2nd
Well, lets look at what you said for a second.

The biggest fights are generally made in the states. Hatton knew this, that is why he left the comfort of his home to show his skills here.

I have heard this said.

Calzaghe has stayed overseas fighting average to below average fighters for a very long time. Even he has stated his desire to do this.

I have heard that said.

Now, as for people who state Joe is a bum for not doing it yet....yes there are some that say it. I didnt say it didnt exist, but for every one US moron who does this....there are 5 non-US posters doing the same or worse.

Let me tell you a few things that were said to ME (I have been a regular on here for a LOOOOONG time....people know I know my shit....even the ones that dont nessesarily agree with what I say will tell ya that) that have led me to feeling this way and just getting fed up.

1- I stated a while back in a post about Pernell Whitaker vs KT that I favored Whitaker. I gave reasons (he fought better comp...he has the physical edge in most areas other than power...he has never been anywhere close to being KOd, and seeing as how he is easily the better boxer, KT would need a KO win and bigger punchers never could do it....etc). Basically gave a well thoughtout arguement. And I was told by about 10 different posters that Im just an american picking the american fighter....nothing else.

2- After Sultan beat Briggs, some idiot made a post about Sultan "destroying" a PRIME Evander Holyfield. I mentioned why I wouldnt think this is possible (Evander is much higher output fighter than Briggs...has a better chin...is more skilled...has proven it vs the better comp...etc.). And again....I only felt that way according to quite a few because I am american.

3- There is a favorite fighters post on here, asking what people's all time favorite fighters are (top 5). Well, after a few pages, someone said that non-US posters are picking non-US and US fighters...yet US posters arent....yet, looking back, many US posters picked foriegn (to them at least) born fighters...Mexican, PR, Canadian, European, etc. In other words, once again, there was nothing to back it up other than someones utter disdain for anything american....not even the replies RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEIR FACES! And again, who cares where someone is from if they are one of your favorites????

There are tons more...these are just a few that popped out in my mind....as well as the one that set it off.

So like I said, I can understand that it wouldnt jump out nessesarily to you, being a non-US poster (not that you are one of the guilty ones...just that if its not directed toward you, it sometimes is hard to see)....but as a regular poster on here for YEARS...I can tell you that as of the last few months (always kinda been here, just been utterly ridiculous lately)....its been like 5 to 1 non-US idiots to their american counterparts using nationalism as an arguement as opposed to knowledge.
But the thing is you are right and you are wrong . Sure Non US people don't notice the stuff you pointed out as much , but only the same way you don't notice the 'he's a bum who only fights at home' stuff . Believe me it's pretty much even .
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #21
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

I've noticed this too...in fantasy fights involving an American and a European, when discussing the current heavyweight picture, and in the thread asking about poster's favorite fighters. I'm simply fed up of this negativity towards US posters and fighters...let's leave race out of discussion. I'm not going to start naming these posters though.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #22
Lampshade
Journeyman

Anti-American? Holy cow.
Lampshade is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 08:36 PM   #23
Dekkers
Team Bergeron
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues2nd
See, that type of arguement, even tho I dont agree, I can respect and go back and forth with just fine.

But, I was with Sweet Pea in that post about KT - Whitaker....and there were quite a few people in there saying we only felt that way cause Pernell was from the states.
I understand what you mean by blanket statements like that, it's not reasoned debate. Similarly when I talk about Tszyu i'm amazed by what I hear from some people. I can't imagine from the way they call him a 'bum' that they've seen many of his fights, the hand speed he showed against Sanchez, the domination of Ruelas, the Tacky shutout, the crushing left hooks to the body against Hurtado. Tszyu had off nights here and there, but he had great nights as well.
Dekkers is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #24
pipe wrenched
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side VIP

vCash: 1852

I have noticed a lot too. One instance was over a couple fighters either Ring or P4P ratings and saying their fighter is not included because they're not American. Seems to be mostly the British crowd that seems to almost "hate" anything American, IMO.
pipe wrenched is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 05:16 AM   #25
C Money
Paul McCloskey
ESB Addict

Some posters have anti american sentiment, but I dont find it the majority. I actually find that many posts between myself and euro or other perspectives rather fair.

That being said?? When i do hear anti-american BS?? Based soley on being anit-american ?? You can count on me to call it what it is!!!
I'm an equal opportunity poster and prejudiced minds are usually full of shit on several angles, american or otherwise!!! I'll call it like I C it, regardless of color, creed, religion, or nationatlity
C Money is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 05:47 AM   #26
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

It should be make clear that many American fans have been brainswashed from reading years of American boxing media, like that on display in the front page right now -fullstop- In general I know it it fair to say the American fans are those with the most inaccurate views -fullstop- Even their views on American based fighters are wild and inaccurate -fullstop- There are of course some good American posters around, who were somehow born in the wrong country -fullstop- The thread on Tszyu was quite spectacular though -fullstop-

"Judah dominated Tszyu in the 1st round and nearly KOd Tszyu the **** out lol lol -fullstop- He was killing him in the second too until he was hit with that lucky punch -fullstop- Judah should have been allowed to carry on it was stopped prematurely -fullstop- Mayweather would kill him -fullstop-
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 05:52 AM   #27
C Money
Paul McCloskey
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe
It should be make clear that many American fans have been brainswashed from reading years of American boxing media, like that on display in the front page right now -fullstop- In general I know it it fair to say the American fans are those with the most inaccurate views -fullstop- Even their views on American based fighters are wild and inaccurate -fullstop- There are of course some good American posters around, who were somehow born in the wrong country -fullstop- The thread on Tszyu was quite spectacular though -fullstop-

"Judah dominated Tszyu in the 1st round and nearly KOd Tszyu the **** out lol lol -fullstop- He was killing him in the second too until he was hit with that lucky punch -fullstop- Judah should have been allowed to carry on it was stopped prematurely -fullstop- Mayweather would kill him -fullstop-
I read the forum's, not the front page and you'd as soon find me dead as saying what you're alleging. Judah won round one, Tszyu figured him out QUICKLY and then gave us the legendary "chicken dance".

If this the idea of American Bias??? Then this is a lost ****ing subject
C Money is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 05:55 AM   #28
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

It isn't all Americans mate, I can even tolerate the existance one or two of you -fullstop-
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 06:02 AM   #29
BoppaZoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1132

this thread is poitned towards me.
and im fine with that but i would call myself the person that feels they have to defend guys like Pacquiao,Tszyu,Calzaghe or even Lewis. im here to make a case for international fighters so they get more respect in terms of there quality.

and to say im totally anti USA is just so wrong

i follow Notre Dame in Football and Basketball.
im constantly on the Miami Dolphin ESPN board.
im a huge fan of Baseball and am currently hitting .615 in my comp having played about 12 games.

i used to love Pernell and Marvin Hagler is my second favourite fighter all time.

i was here to amke it even to see that there is balance with your USA fighters getting respect and to defend our international guys.

Thats it.

also i just want to add one more thing. people on here think i know nothing about boxing they think im just some idiot that likes Aussie fighters.
but if you were to go into the Boxing tipping Comp ask them who is up near the top and after this week im pretty sure im leading the comp out of about 35 fans or so.
BoppaZoo is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 06:36 AM   #30
LeedsLad
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Id say its more the other way round, theres a mentality that if the fighter hasnt fought in the US hes a "bum". Which of course, is total bullshit.
LeedsLad is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum