Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 08-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #16
TFFP

vCash:
Default Re: Over the past 25 years which boxers would you accredit the status of legend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOli
Yea but Hagler had like 7 out of 62 fights during this period.

Leonard 8 out of 36

etc etc...

sure some of them were define but I think they belong in an era before... not too bothered though...
They were some of the biggest fights, its illogical to not include them. A lot of the early fights were against bums, I'd say a good percentage of the fights that actually make up their status as a legend are during this period.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #17
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Over the past 25 years which boxers would you accredit the status of legend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
As shot as Tszyu?
Zarate was a damn sight more shot than Zoo (and you know it!!), you've gone up in my estimation by mentioning Callejas. Don't waste it....
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2008, 08:52 PM   #18
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
Zarate was a damn sight more shot than Zoo (and you know it!!), you've gone up in my estimation by mentioning Callejas. Don't waste it....
I know, nearly had ya there

Zarate was a terrific fighter, and could be justified as a top 5 Mexican fighter all-time. Peak he'd beat Fenech's ass.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:54 PM   #19
bigmarkd86
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Dude with all the Hatton haters on here - I can't believe you've picked on me..
im not,im a massive hatton fan thats been to his last 2 fights,how can you pick out hatton as "the weak link" in that list,he might not be as gifted as other fighters but he gets the job done with whats put in front of him.
bigmarkd86 is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #20
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Remember though that this isn't necessarily best boxers ever - but legends of the sport.
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2008, 08:56 PM   #21
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmarkd86
im not,im a massive hatton fan thats been to his last 2 fights,how can you pick out hatton as "the weak link" in that list,he might not be as gifted as other fighters but he gets the job done with whats put in front of him.
Hang on

The list...

Mayweather, Jones , Leonard, Hearns, Chavez, Lopez, Whittaker, Galaxy, Tyson, Holyfield, Curry, Hagler, Hatton.

He honestly doesn't stand out to you in this list?
Old 08-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #22
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmarkd86
I like Hatton, I'm honestly not arguing with you. Some people may not like to admit it but he helped bring an awful lot of people back into boxing.
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2008, 09:00 PM   #23
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

I think its fair to say he stands out in my list.....;O)
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2008, 09:01 PM   #24
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

Do popularity and legend have to go hand in hand; just a question? Can you have a legend that nobody has really heard of?
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #25
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Can you have a legend that nobody has really heard of?
IMO yes. For instance Lopez is a legend, Hatton isn't. Thats just my take on things.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #26
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
Do popularity and legend have to go hand in hand; just a question? Can you have a legend that nobody has really heard of?
What do you mean by nobody? I'd consider people that post on boxing sites hardcore fans, and they'll know anybody reasonably mentioned on these lists. It doesn't matter if Joe Public knows them

I don't think you have to be popular or fight like Gatti or some shit though. Is Arturo Gatti a legend because he fights like a guy in a bar room brawl?

Classic example, Ricardo Lopez. Hardly ever discussed, pretty much under appreciated because of his size, but a legend in the true sense. A good resume and outstanding skills, which should be the main criteria
Old 08-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #27
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

This whole legend thing is hard to nail down. I think it goes further then greatest fighters.... it's a bit like HOF I guess... takes in the whole package perhaps including stuff outside skills...

So far I have inducted into my legendary HOF

Learnard, Hagler, Hearns, Duran, RJJ, and Tyson... Tyson snook in and I just couldn't say no... more inductees to come... My personal HOF is quite strict on inductees... as you can see... with the exception of Mike..
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2008, 09:12 PM   #28
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
This whole legend thing is hard to nail down. I think it goes further then greatest fighters.... it's a bit like HOF I guess...

So far I have inducted into my legendary HOF

Learnard, Hagler, Hearns, Duran, RJJ, and Tyson... Tyson snook in and I just couldn't say no... more inductees to come... My personal HOF is quite strict on inductees... as you can see... with the exception of mike..
How wouldn't Pernell Whitaker get in at the very least?

He has to be absolutely nailed on.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #29
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
What do you mean by nobody? I'd consider people that post on boxing sites hardcore fans, and they'll know anybody reasonably mentioned on these lists. It doesn't matter if Joe Public knows them

I don't think you have to be popular or fight like Gatti or some shit though. Is Arturo Gatti a legend because he fights like a guy in a bar room brawl?

Classic example, Ricardo Lopez. Hardly ever discussed, pretty much under appreciated because of his size, but a legend in the true sense. A good resume and outstanding skills, which should be the main criteria
Thats fine, but I was aiming at the thread being a bit different to a list of the greatest fighters of the last 25 years (there have been loads of those)- for example Barry Mcguigan is a Legend in some ways but he's not the greatest ever boxer.
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2008, 09:17 PM   #30
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Whitaker is a cert.
GazOC is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum