Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 08-24-2008, 09:18 PM   #31
TFFP

vCash:
Default Re: Over the past 25 years which boxers would you accredit the status of legend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOli
Thats fine, but I was aiming at the thread being a bit different to a list of the greatest fighters of the last 25 years (there have been loads of those)- for example Barry Mcguigan is a Legend in some ways but he's not the greatest ever boxer.
Well your own list would suggest you are placing more weight on greatness in a boxing sense rather than style/popularity or whatever else

It's just kind of weird for me to call guys like Gatti or Ward legends because they fight like lunatics, and Hatton or Bruno because they were popular which is the sort of thing you'll get.

Each to their own though!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2008, 09:21 PM   #32
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Over the past 25 years which boxers would you accredit the status of legend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
Well your own list would suggest you are placing more weight on greatness in a boxing sense rather than style/popularity or whatever else

It's just kind of weird for me to call guys like Gatti or Ward legends because they fight like lunatics, and Hatton or Bruno because they were popular which is the sort of thing you'll get.

Aye None of those have made my personal HOF.
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #33
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Thats fine, but I was aiming at the thread being a bit different to a list of the greatest fighters of the last 25 years (there have been loads of those)- for example Barry Mcguigan is a Legend in some ways but he's not the greatest ever boxer.

I don't think Barry Mc deserves to he in the HOF, being second best behind Azumah Nelson for a couple of years doesn't get you in.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #34
bigmarkd86
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Hang on

The list...

Mayweather, Jones , Leonard, Hearns, Chavez, Lopez, Whittaker, Galaxy, Tyson, Holyfield, Curry, Hagler, Hatton.

He honestly doesn't stand out to you in this list?
will he be spoken about in 15,20 years from now in forums??imo he will and no matter what anyone says he has done britain proud in the boxing world.how many brits have had the chance to fight the p4p best in his pomp?he was outclassed,but nonetheless he is up there with the best recently for me.
bigmarkd86 is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #35
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
I don't think Barry Mc deserves to he in the HOF, being second best behind Azumah Nelson for a couple of years doesn't get you in.
But he's in because of what he did out side of the ring as well (uniting folks in the troubles) - as a whole package he's a bit of a legend within the sport because of that.
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #36
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:

Gatti should be in the HOF IMHO. 3 Ring Fights of the Year, thats enough for me.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2008, 09:29 PM   #37
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
But he's in because of what he did out side of the ring as well (uniting folks in the troubles) - as a whole package he's a bit of a legend within the sport because of that.
But you wouldn't have Gatti in there? I know what you are saying but surely any criteria that has Barry Mc in has to include Gatti.?
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #38
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
But you wouldn't have Gatti in there? I know what you are saying but surely any criteria that has Barry Mc in has to include Gatti.?
Yea, styles perhaps make legends as well - being involved in classic fights etc... Gatti should perhaps be in the real HOF if Barry Mc is...

Anyway he's not coming in my select HOF
Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Duran, RJJ, Tyson
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2008, 09:38 PM   #39
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Whitaker is a cert.
I already have leonard back peddling in there... he may be inducted soon... plus his popularity outside the sport is next to zero...
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #40
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yea, styles perhaps make legends as well - being involved in classic fights etc... Gatti should perhaps be in the real HOF if Barry Mc is...

Anyway he's not coming in my select HOF
Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Duran, RJJ, Tyson
Thats a very select list.... at the very least its missing Lopez, Whitaker and Chavez, maybe Oscar?
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2008, 09:41 PM   #41
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

Chavez maybe.. I just can't let Oscar in...
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2008, 09:42 PM   #42
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
I already have leonard back peddling in there... he may be inducted soon... plus his popularity outside the sport is next to zero...
Induct Whitaker.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2008, 09:44 PM   #43
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

Sweet Pea, Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Duran, RJJ, Tyson

Thats it though my Legendary boxing HOF of the last 25 years is now closed.
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2008, 04:55 AM   #44
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

So you would have Tyson in but not Lennox Lewis?

Bearing in mind the fact that Lennox would school any version of Tyson?
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2008, 05:22 AM   #45
FLINT ISLAND
PENYRHEOL
ESB Addict

On the British scene the status of legend should be awarded to journeyman Peter Buckly.

I'm being serious.

Just to point out Buckley is no ATG no HOF fighter and no where near World Class or European Class or even the best in Britain.

But he is a legendary journeyman - and has been the learning curve for many a young fighter who has gone on to be some kind of champion - Naseem Hamed springs to mind.

With 200 plus fights on the British circuit in modern times that is a exceptional fight record number

so for me

Peter Buckley - modern day legend

number of fights you had does not autmonically mean a fighter deserves recognition

but Buckley to his credit always gives his best effort in a fight he is never going to win - usually extending most fighters the distance
FLINT ISLAND is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum