Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default James Douglas on his best night

could he dupilcate what Schmeling did knocking out Joe Louis? To me the answer is a resounding yes. He would destroy both Louis and Schmeling and any other heavyweight from the depression era
redrooster is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: James Douglas on his best night

Well, a guy who could punish Tyson like that would be very dangerous for any ATG having an off night.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru

Location: Have removed the 20a87 troll virus 'coz it sux cocks.

Buster seemed to flourish through 87- Tyson in 1990.....

Louis reigned supreme 37-49........................... with a single career loss in the same years!!!!!!...

Fair enough, Buster busted the Iron Man....... One great fight dont make for an eternity of superiority.... His legend of the win is eternal...... however, a degree of credibility has to be questioned..

A huge man he was.. although, his attitude as champ remains the most disinteresting since Max baer.... Having too much fun elsewhere...

I doubt Buster would have been suited to the days of men fighting for a slice of the money for dinner...

Cant take anything away from him.... He defeated an already dispondant Tyson.... A mere husk of Tysons former self...
flamengo is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
Rubber Warrior
Resident ESB Soothsayer
ESB Full Member

Whe "on", Big Bus was an extrordinary heavyweight.
Rubber Warrior is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

On the subject of Douglas. I once read an interview with Eddie Futch* who said he picked Buster over Tyson and "it was common knowledge". Anyone know if they read this before the fight? I can't imagine Pap Smurf fibbing I just wondered if it was in print anywhere?

* Sorry, I meant to say the 'venerable' Eddie Futch.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think that Douglas, on that night, had the stuff to beat ANY heavyweight champion of history. I realize now that THAT Buster was a one-time only phenomenon, almost like an android from space that dropped in for one fight, one time only. THAT Buster is hard for me to argue against. It's almost like he got into some special zone, with God's help where he was guided by his subconcious, as confident as a sleepwalker.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #7
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
On the subject of Douglas. I once read an interview with Eddie Futch* who said he picked Buster over Tyson and "it was common knowledge". Anyone know if they read this before the fight? I can't imagine Pap Smurf fibbing I just wondered if it was in print anywhere?

* Sorry, I meant to say the 'venerable' Eddie Futch.
I don't know about that. I don't see how anyone could have foreseen that Douglas would beat Tyson, although you had guys who picked against Tyson in every fight like Ron Borges, and Teddy Atlas who then gloated that they picked him to lose
Old 08-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster
could he dupilcate what Schmeling did knocking out Joe Louis? To me the answer is a resounding yes. He would destroy both Louis and Schmeling and any other heavyweight from the depression era
Not a cat in hells chance.

Douglas had the corect tools to beat Tyson just as Schmeling had the corect tools to beat Louis.

Even on his worst night Louis was never as unfocused as the Tyson of Tokyo.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #9
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchmoore
I don't know about that. I don't see how anyone could have foreseen that Douglas would beat Tyson, although you had guys who picked against Tyson in every fight like Ron Borges, and Teddy Atlas who then gloated that they picked him to lose

I know but this is the venerable Eddie Futch we're talking here. I know he rated Douglas highly and thought only his fitness let him down vs Tucker (which is true, he looked the much better man that night). Yeah, but I think it's a case of him picking against Tyson once or twice before perhaps.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #10
Jear
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Not a cat in hells chance.

Douglas had the corect tools to beat Tyson just as Schmeling had the corect tools to beat Louis.

Even on his worst night Louis was never as unfocused as the Tyson of Tokyo.
With all due respect Douglas that night had the tools to beat not just Tyson but just about any heavy in history. No Louis wasnt just any heavyweight but Busters long fast jab, quick right hand and brutal uppercuts suggest to me Joe would indeed struggle with Douglas of Tokyo.

Tyson may well have been unfocussed but it was a comprehensive beating perhaps one of the most dominant title performances at that weight.

Ive heard it said when Buster was dropped that Frazier, Marciano, Foreman etc wouldnt have let him off the hook, well Tyson was a pretty ruthless finisher also.

THAT NIGHT Buster is even money with just about anyone
Jear is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #11
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

The Douglas of Tokyo would have always beaten Tyson IMO.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #12
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jear
With all due respect Douglas that night had the tools to beat not just Tyson but just about any heavy in history. No Louis wasnt just any heavyweight but Busters long fast jab, quick right hand and brutal uppercuts suggest to me Joe would indeed struggle with Douglas of Tokyo.

Tyson may well have been unfocussed but it was a comprehensive beating perhaps one of the most dominant title performances at that weight.

Ive heard it said when Buster was dropped that Frazier, Marciano, Foreman etc wouldnt have let him off the hook, well Tyson was a pretty ruthless finisher also.

THAT NIGHT Buster is even money with just about anyone
I honestly cant acept that Douglas went from being a second rater to an all time great beater overnight and then back again overnight.

If he was that good he would have built up some sort of resume outside the Tyson win.

If you want to understand the outcome of that fight start by looking at what Tyson did wrong.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #13
Coetzeefan101
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
The Douglas of Tokyo would have always beaten Tyson IMO.
I disagre, Tyson was very unprepared for that fight, his cornermen didnt even have the proper equipment and resorted to using a condom filled with ice instead of a proper swelling compress.

Tyson negleced head movement and just looked for the one punch KO all night, and arguably he got it in the 8th.
Tyson usually does very well against boxers, Tyrell Biggs who had a similar style to Douglas was beat down brutally and a prime motivated Tyson would of done the same to Buster. But props to Douglas for fighting the fight of his life.
Coetzeefan101 is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2008, 06:49 PM   #14
punchy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coetzeefan101
I disagre, Tyson was very unprepared for that fight, his cornermen didnt even have the proper equipment and resorted to using a condom filled with ice instead of a proper swelling compress.

Tyson negleced head movement and just looked for the one punch KO all night, and arguably he got it in the 8th.
Tyson usually does very well against boxers, Tyrell Biggs who had a similar style to Douglas was beat down brutally and a prime motivated Tyson would of done the same to Buster. But props to Douglas for fighting the fight of his life.
Douglas hit a lot harder than Biggs one of the keys to this fight, he was quick enough to catch Tyson and hit hard enough to hurt him.
punchy is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2008, 07:07 PM   #15
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
I honestly cant acept that Douglas went from being a second rater to an all time great beater overnight and then back again overnight.
I can't either, but it happened before our eyes. However, as others said, he clearly was better than Tucker until he run out of gas. And after the Tyson fight, he never bothered to turn up in great or even decent shape.

If you were an alien knowing nothing about records but only able to judge based on film, and you just saw one fight of each fighter in his prime, Douglas would definitely rank up there with the genuine greats.

On his best night he could beat any heavyweight in history, and on his worst he could lose to an average Joe.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum