Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-29-2007, 01:22 AM   #1
hopkinsfan07
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1305
Default if Cus D'Amato hadent died when he did.....

would tyson of been unbeaten for 50 fights and go down as one of the greats
hopkinsfan07 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2007, 01:25 AM   #2
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: if Cus D'Amato hadent died when he did.....

That is an absolutely fantastic question. Could Cus keep him on the rails? I think Tyson would have beaten Douglas. Could Holyfield have beaten him at this time? I say yes. I say Tyson wouldn't have reached 50 unbeaten.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 01:27 AM   #3
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Cus would be a God than lol. The man was allreay well in his 80's. By the time Tyson was ready for Douglas in 1990, Cus would perhaps had to be wheel to and back from the ring lol.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 02:02 AM   #4
jonesjrp4p1
16 yr old prodigy
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1557

yes he would of kept tyson at check and kept him focused on his career and not money and girls.....tyson would of soared past the 49-0 record imo....
jonesjrp4p1 is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 03:21 AM   #5
MrSmall
Journeyman

I'm sure he could.
MrSmall is online now  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 03:48 AM   #6
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Possibly
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 05:54 AM   #7
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinsfan07
D'Amato could not of saved Tyson, by 1986 no one could. Tyson IMO needed to avoid pro boxing. Tyson's problems and personality meant money and fame made things worse. If D'Amato had taken him down a path other than pro boxing then maybe Tyson would of had a more... happy life?
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 06:44 AM   #8
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
No, I don't think so. Cus was a trainer, not a jailor and it is absolutley the case, in my opinion, that Tyson would have come to resent him as he tried to spread his wings.

Remember that Cus didn't want fighters to go anywhere or do anything without his express premission. He treated 25 year old men who were worth serious money like they were teenagers...Tyson, with what is in him, would probably have cast that of especially if King was pissing in his ear.

Tyson, i'm afraid, would have f*cked up eventually because he is a f*ck up. That's just the way it is.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 06:46 AM   #9
garymcfall
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 944

I believe D' Amato was the one person who ever lived who could save Tyson. Tyson looked up to him like he never did anyone else. I see Tyson beating Buster Douglas but then Losing 2 - 1 in a trilogy with Evander Holyfield. Also i think Mike would be more mentally tough with Cus around, he wouldnt crumble as easily when things didnt go quite the way he wanted in the ring.
garymcfall is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 06:46 AM   #10
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
D'Amato could not of saved Tyson, by 1986 no one could. Tyson IMO needed to avoid pro boxing. Tyson's problems and personality meant money and fame made things worse. If D'Amato had taken him down a path other than pro boxing then maybe Tyson would of had a more... happy life?
As you can see, TBooze said everything I said slightly better before I posted.

That's what I get for not reading the thread.

I do agree that Tyson needed to get far away from pro boxing, and Cus was certainly the last person who would ever ever ever have done that. For all his patter about "doing what is right for the fighters", they were fighters to him, even before they were human beings.

Tyson should also follow TBooze's advice now. He should get far away from the game, no training, no announceing no anything else you see suggested in General.

He should raise lamas or breed pigeons.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 06:48 AM   #11
garymcfall
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 944

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
No, I don't think so. Cus was a trainer, not a jailor and it is absolutley the case, in my opinion, that Tyson would have come to resent him as he tried to spread his wings.

Remember that Cus didn't want fighters to go anywhere or do anything without his express premission. He treated 25 year old men who were worth serious money like they were teenagers...Tyson, with what is in him, would probably have cast that of especially if King was pissing in his ear.

Tyson, i'm afraid, would have f*cked up eventually because he is a f*ck up. That's just the way it is.
when you put it like that actually , my opinion slightly changes, good point
garymcfall is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 07:02 AM   #12
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Tyson who have gone down in flames sooner or later,his character flaws couldnt be papered over for ever,once an arsehole ,allways an-------.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 08:18 AM   #13
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Some people think Tyson was an angel under D'Amato's protection, but he has always been a punk. He got expelled from his school when he lived with Cus, he had that famous incident with that big mouth's niece.. maybe Cus could've kept him out of trouble for a little longer, but Tyson's always been a time bomb.

On top of that, boxers with his style never have a long lasting career, no matter how much of a father type the trainer is.

And who's to say Tyson wouldn't ditch Cus when Don King knows to manipulate him? After all, he also fired Rooney and believed a lot of lies that King told him... i wouldn't be suprised if it would've happened somewhere early 90's, creating a new Buster Douglas.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 08:32 AM   #14
Rattler
R.I.P. - George Jones
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

No way.

There's no chance a multi-millionaire like Tyson would've stayed under the umbrella of D'Amato's tutelage like he did when he had nothing but Cus to rely on.

The only difference with Tyson, as it compares 'tween "with Cus" and "without Cus" was the capability to fund his own lifestyle.
Rattler is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 08:39 AM   #15
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain

I actually agree with this, Tyson's mental weaknesses would have got the better of him eventually maybe not as soon but it would have happen. There is only so long you can control someone and when Tyson decides he wants the champions lifestyle he would have left Cus probably for King due to everything promised.
Minotauro is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum