Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 06-20-2007, 07:02 PM   #1
dave
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Weights and boxing

I know weights are good for strength and so on, but are they good for boxing? Look at briggs huge but useless now. Vlad does not seem as muscular now that he is with Manny, so what gives, do weights help or hinder
dave is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Default Re: Weights and boxing

there is a difference between a wieght lifter and a body builder.

wieghts are not as bad as people say they are,some say they are the scourge of the earth some say they are new modern equipment(even though jack johnson was a prolifent wieght ligter )

it does give you extra wieght to your punch but in turn it slows down the quick explosive fibres that is needed in boxing.

but if the wieghts are light and used in combo patterns they do help with the speed and rapidity of punches.

i say use wieghts but be careful too not use them too much they create strong complex fibrus muscle which is good for the knock out punch....but the oxygen levels to keep those cells nice and healthy is far higher than an average person/boxer/joe blow they also slow you down (i know a contridiction to what i said before) as they are too rock hard they dont allow you to use handspeed.

mike weaver ,fernando vargas,frank bruno are all wieght lifters (though bruno was almost a pure body builder a mountain of a man) and used them to make them stronger but their hand speed endurance and natural ability was destroyed later on.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2007, 07:29 PM   #3
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Check out my post in the "myth" thread for what kind of weightlifting would do fighters the most good. Not all weightlifting is created equal.
Rock0052 is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
Alcaldemb
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I have experienced both schools, weights and no weights. I found my power was greater when I was a very serious lifter, ie 345 x8 on bench and 800 x10 on leg press. However as sparring sessions wore on my activity level, albeit not my strength, dropped off. Then there was a period where I did no weights and just cardio. I dropped a tremendous amount of weight and was faster and had better stamina, but my power noticeably fell off. The ideal mix I found for me, and it varries, was to do a lot of exercise with bodyweight, ie push ups, pull ups and dips, and mix that in with light weight high reps. That allowed me to keep a lot of power and speed at the same time. It is really all about finding balance.
Alcaldemb is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
sandwichsurgeon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Once a fighter puts on some or a lot of beach muscle is it possible through cardio and other exercises to lose the muscle put on and get back the original muscle fibre ratios, therefore returning your body to it's previous form?
sandwichsurgeon is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
RICKY BALBOA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwichsurgeon View Post
Once a fighter puts on some or a lot of beach muscle is it possible through cardio and other exercises to lose the muscle put on and get back the original muscle fibre ratios, therefore returning your body to it's previous form?
That's a good question; anyone know the answer?
RICKY BALBOA is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 400

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
bballchump11 is online now  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

Any boxer whos serious about his profession either has a strength and conditioning coach,or at the very least has a strength program.

This isnt the 1950s.

Boxers ares slowly embracving sports science
irishny is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
Boxalot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I actually hate it when people say weights are 'bad' for a boxer. There is a misconception in this sport that weights make you bulky and slow, and that you lose 'snap' from your shots.

A good S&C coach will be able to give you a correct and structered weights routine that fits your goals, be it to increase power, speed, size in certains areas, whatever you want. Weights are only 'bad' for you when done incorrectly, and there is the money at the top levels of the sport nowadays where fighters can afford a qualified S&C coach to eliminate this possiblity.

Weights are very much a good thing when done correctly.
Boxalot is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxalot View Post
bballchump11 is online now  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
Jay23
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxalot View Post
I actually hate it when people say weights are 'bad' for a boxer. There is a misconception in this sport that weights make you bulky and slow, and that you lose 'snap' from your shots.

A good S&C coach will be able to give you a correct and structered weights routine that fits your goals, be it to increase power, speed, size in certains areas, whatever you want. Weights are only 'bad' for you when done incorrectly, and there is the money at the top levels of the sport nowadays where fighters can afford a qualified S&C coach to eliminate this possiblity.

This
Jay23 is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

Exactly.

Power leads to explosiveness leads to speed.

Look at 100m sprinters.

Dont think they lift?
irishny is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
Boxalot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcaldemb View Post
I have experienced both schools, weights and no weights. I found my power was greater when I was a very serious lifter, ie 345 x8 on bench and 800 x10 on leg press. However as sparring sessions wore on my activity level, albeit not my strength, dropped off. Then there was a period where I did no weights and just cardio. I dropped a tremendous amount of weight and was faster and had better stamina, but my power noticeably fell off. The ideal mix I found for me, and it varries, was to do a lot of exercise with bodyweight, ie push ups, pull ups and dips, and mix that in with light weight high reps. That allowed me to keep a lot of power and speed at the same time. It is really all about finding balance.
Along with the correct diet, performing repetitions in the 8-10 region would increase size aswell as strength. Added muscle requires more oxygen which would, naturally, result in your activity levels dropping.

When discussing weights, boxing fans often assume you lift just like a normal guy in the gym. This is completely untrue. A recent example is Juan Manuel Marquez, a great fighter who has benefited greatly from a qualified S&C coach who has given him a correct and structured weights routine. Look at the videos where he's lifting and you'll note he's performing the repetions quickly and rapidly, and he's lifting, generally, no more than 5 repetitions at a time for speed and explosiveness.

Weights don't just mean lifting your standard 8-10-12 and putting on size. There seems to be a stigma about weights in this sport, and the people who are against them haven't actually got a clue what they're talking about.
Boxalot is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Dave, weight lifting doesn't do a blessed thing for a fighter...unless they start scoring for muscles
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #15
larryx2012
I AM BETTER THEN YOU
East Side Guru

vCash: 571251

Lifting makes you stronger and if you already have great technique how can it not be a good thing?
larryx2012 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum