Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-28-2008, 06:08 AM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Gibbons v Tunney

The video is suprisingly sharp, so you can view it in full screen - i'd reccomend without the sound!

BORKED

Tunney shows great feet and a devastating right hand. Gibbons goes on the accumalation I think. He was never stopped before this, was he? A lot of people seem to think Gibbons was shot or washed up, but he looks ok to me, fighting enthusiasticly when he closes the distane and from that awkward crouch. He'd beaten Caprantier and Kid Norfolk within the last 18 months, I think.

Any observations or opinions concerning this fight?
McGrain is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Default Re: Gibbons v Tunney

Tunney was quite persistent (on offense) when he knew he was better than his man and his big shots could shake or trouble him wasnt he? He looked determined on the offensive there, and still kept getting out when Gibbons shaped up to throw something. I also like how when guys get their heads down into Gene's chest, he usually keeps upright and smashes hard right hooks into the side of their jaw, Gene was a very rugged fighter.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I noticed in every fight I've seen of Tunney's he always seems to control the clinching he clinches when he wants and will spin the opponents there or push them around but always in total control. And he always pushed them far enough to make sure he is out of range for them the ref almost never has to break the clinch because he has so much control there he keeps his opponents so long enough to land some shots but not too long that the ref has the step in.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotauro
I noticed in every fight I've seen of Tunney's he always seems to control the clinching he clinches when he wants and will spin the opponents there or push them around but always in total control. And he always pushed them far enough to make sure he is out of range for them the ref almost never has to break the clinch because he has so much control there he keeps his opponents so long enough to land some shots but not too long that the ref has the step in.
Good observation there, i think it sort of coincides in what my post was ultimately saying of Tunney, he was rugged and tough, more than what people think who havent really looked at the main body of his achievements.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo Modica
Tunney was the fastest HW of all time. Gibbons was still great at age 34. Dempsey couldn't KO him, but Tunney wore him down slowly, and moved in for the kill when Gibbons couldn't take the pace.

No HW was ever in better physical shape than Tunney. Ali was similar to him but Tunney was lighter and therefore faster, had better stamina and was more difficult to hit. Ali was more powerful.
I agree with what you said for the most part, but I not sure if Tunney was in the best shape ever. He's way up there in the stamina department. In Jeffries', Marciano's, and old timers who went 20 or more for sure.

One underated thing about Tunney is he had a very good attack. Watch this fight and you'll see. By no means was Tunney just an out fighter.
Mendoza is online now  Top
Old 08-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Tunney shows great feet and a devastating right hand. Gibbons goes on the accumalation I think. He was never stopped before this, was he? A lot of people seem to think Gibbons was shot or washed up, but he looks ok to me, fighting enthusiasticly when he closes the distane and from that awkward crouch. He'd beaten Caprantier and Kid Norfolk within the last 18 months, I think.

Any observations or opinions concerning this fight?
Gibbons was washed up, norfolk was even more washed up! norfolk was BLIND at this point!! he shouldnt have even been granted a boxing liscense.

Tunney looks good, lots of ring intelligence for his time. but on the flipside, I think gene looks very amatuerish and unmodern the way he keeps his hands by his waist and tries to lean back from punches, a modern skilled fighter would destroy that kind of style. He benefited from facing smaller older fighters, but against bigger young jabbers he'd be in alot of trouble. Tunneys straight right is fast and sharp, but its not very powerful. I think he throws arm punches a little too much, even though they are fast and straight. he doesnt twist his body into his punches for power. his whole style while fast, seems to herky jerky....way too stiff, no rythm.. he doesnt box loose, smooth, and cool like a charles. I think tunneys biggest strength was his intelligence, he was great at timing his punches because he was very intelligent.

Tunney while he defintley helped modernize boxing in some ways, I think many of the greats conn/charles/burley took what tunney did and developed it into more modern style... gene was great for his time, but boxing from the 1940s on much more advanced.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2008, 01:56 AM   #7
klompton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Norfolk was washed up but he was not blind. Thats bullshit. Norfolk never went blind. He lived for years in New York and while he was blind in one eye like Greb he was never blind in both eyes like Langford.
klompton is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2008, 04:08 AM   #8
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto
Tunney was quite persistent (on offense) when he knew he was better than his man and his big shots could shake or trouble him wasnt he? He looked determined on the offensive there, and still kept getting out when Gibbons shaped up to throw something. I also like how when guys get their heads down into Gene's chest, he usually keeps upright and smashes hard right hooks into the side of their jaw, Gene was a very rugged fighter.
Yeah, good eye, he comes with something of a dandy repuation does Tunney, like he was soft because he read, but rugged is a fine word for it.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:10 AM   #9
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotauro

You are spot on. It does make you wonder, though, how Tunney would do against significantly bigger, heavier men. Could he turn in a Robinson-LaMotta type performance and punch aggressively of the back foot for 12 or 13 rounds?
Old 08-29-2008, 04:15 AM   #10
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
Gibbons was washed up
Well, you have some film at your disposal. To me, he does not look like a washed up fighter. What do you see that I don't?

Quote:
Tunney looks good, lots of ring intelligence for his time. but on the flipside, I think gene looks very amatuerish and unmodern the way he keeps his hands by his waist and tries to lean back from punches, a modern skilled fighter would destroy that kind of style.
Jones, Mayweather and Ali all did the same thing. I think it is a little convenient that you can dismiss this style in Tunney because of the time he is fighting in. He's already been called "the fastest hw ever" in this thread, not a position I neccesarily agree with, but why is it impossoble for Gene to get away with what Johnson and Jones got away Ali got away with, particularly?
Old 08-29-2008, 04:16 AM   #11
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by klompton
Norfolk was washed up but he was not blind. Thats bullshit. Norfolk never went blind. He lived for years in New York and while he was blind in one eye like Greb he was never blind in both eyes like Langford.

Any idea when the blindness in his one eye began?
Old 08-29-2008, 04:31 AM   #12
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619

That video was sharp. Really sharp!
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2008, 04:33 AM   #13
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

It's been cleaned up beautifully. Only something like 500 views on YouTube! You won't see cleaner footage from this era.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:58 AM   #14
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Any idea when the blindness in his one eye began?
Ironically it was Kid Norfolk thumbing Greb that led to Harry's blind eye.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 08-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #15
klompton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Norfolk lost the vision in his bad eye against Lee Anderson in the fight just before his first fight with Greb.
klompton is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum