Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Among the British, does nationally play a part among assesment of boxers?
It means everything 4 6.06%
A big part 4 6.06%
A fair old part 10 15.15%
It means a little 15 22.73%
It means very little 11 16.67%
It means nothing whatsoever 22 33.33%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Among the British, does nationally play a part among assesment of boxers?

Among the British - how much does your nationally (Welsh, English, Scots, NI Irish) play a part regarding your assessment, criticism, abuse etc of British boxers?

It's an anonymous poll so feel free to vote how you wish.

I will be blatantly honest, and say it means very little or it means a little *shock*.

Having said that - all the way though my teens, and twenties this would never have been true as we all supported the Scots, and Welsh to the hilt. The whole family stood there wishing them on. Nowadays I smile if they lose at football (this was never the case before). Some people still question why. Personally I'm getting tired of Wales, and Scotland's moanings.

PS This has nothing to do with Calzaghe (before Fat Joe starts) - I have found that leaf fisted wonder; uninspiring for a decade, and more.

(I went to University in Wales)

Last edited by JonOli; 08-29-2008 at 12:38 AM.
JonOli is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2008, 12:01 AM   #2
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Among the British, does nationally play a part among assesment of boxers?

I bet Betty votes...

"It means nothing whatsoever"

He is such a real level headed young man - credit to Betty. He is always so fair, and level headed.
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2008, 12:11 AM   #3
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Among the British, does nationally play a part among assesment of boxers?

I liked the way Reilly(on here) categorically stated that Khan was a "Cunt". Then he went on to blabber about how great WBO Queen Scott Harrison was.... bias.. or is it just me....?I
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2008, 12:15 AM   #4
LiamE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2000

When I assess a fight I try to do it with me head not my heart. I have often bet against a fighter I like. I cant say there is no bias though as there may well be some at a subconcious level.

Where it does play a part I suppose is that you often know far more about a domestic fighter than those from abroad so its often easier to make an accurate judgement.
LiamE is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2008, 12:23 AM   #5
Words
Contender
ESB Senior Member

ask Dunk...
Words is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2008, 12:26 AM   #6
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words
ask Dunk...
At least he's open, and honest about it!
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2008, 02:35 AM   #7
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

funnily enough I did vote...'means nothing whatsoever', and that was my vote cast before you made the post about me.

my favourite British fighters are Witter and Haye. Arthur is alright but I don't like Scott Harrison, Khan, Calzaghe or Fraudley. And Hatton is an all-out twat of the highest order.

so what were you implying Jonoli?
Betty Swollocks is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2008, 05:28 AM   #8
Fat Joe
Let's have it right
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOli
Nowadays I smile if the Scots + Welsh lose at football
You must be a very happy man then.

Personally I'd say nationality influences me a little, but not as much as when I was younger.
Fat Joe is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2008, 06:06 AM   #9
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

When it comes to any solo sport nationallity (boxing, tennis, golf) does not come into play for me, unless its at the olympics.

for example i supported Floyd Mayweather over Ricky Hatton as i prefer his style and personality. however if it was two fighters i didnt know anything about, i would support the brit, for example nicky cook vs steve luevuano.

for me i see no difference between english, scottish, welsh, ni..........i think we should all be british, and represent britain in all sports.

only time any form of siding with someone because of where there from is london, i support london fighters like Haye, the mithcells, danny williams more than others.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2008, 06:16 AM   #10
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

I'm English first and British second, I probably do favour English fighters slighty over the other Home Countries. Nothing too extreme though, I'll usually cheer on any Brit against a forigner. Witter was the exception but that was a lot more do with some of the crackpots around here than the boxer himself (although trying to make a career based on not fighting someone isn't the smartest move).
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2008, 06:55 AM   #11
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

It makes no difference at all to me. I am English but my favourite Brit fighter is a sweaty, and my all time favourite is Panamanian
icemax is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2008, 08:14 AM   #12
Broxi
Me Whee!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3681

If you mean, to not support a fighter because he's from a different part of the UK ...

I'm Scottish and it means almost nothing to me, I don't regard Boxing in the same way as I might regard football, to me British Boxers are British, not Welsh, Scottish, English or whatever.

I pretty much regard tennis, Olympics, motorsport, etc in the same way. It's only really rugby and football that I'm nationalistic about.
Broxi is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2008, 08:41 AM   #13
Tony Harrison
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I do regard Wales as merely the biggest county in England but in terms of boxing nationality means very little. I will invariably back a British fighter against an American but it matters not if he is not English. I suppose in a battle of Britain type of affair I'll back an Englishmen over Irish or Scottish but I'm not that separatist. My old man being Irish dilutes any strong nationalistic feeling many seem to harbour.
Tony Harrison is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2008, 09:15 AM   #14
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

Absolutely none whatsoever because to be honest I don't know if a lot of fighters are English, Welsh, Scottish etc. I just list them all as British fighters.
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2008, 11:21 AM   #15
KCD
All aboard.
ESB Addict

I dont class myself as British...Im English.

So i do tend to follow English fighters like Hatton and Murray.

Also Irish fighters.

Heritage i suppose.
KCD is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum