Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Among the British, does nationally play a part among assesment of boxers?
It means everything 4 6.06%
A big part 4 6.06%
A fair old part 10 15.15%
It means a little 15 22.73%
It means very little 11 16.67%
It means nothing whatsoever 22 33.33%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2008, 11:33 AM   #16
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Among the British, does nationally play a part among assesment of boxers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOli
I liked the way Reilly(on here) categorically stated that Khan was a "Cunt". Then he went on to blabber about how great WBO Queen Scott Harrison was.... bias.. or is it just me....?I
ill answer that point

I do regard khan as that.i do like /and miss harrison fighting.

I dont necesserly dislike khan because he is not scottish.i just hat how he is the one who gets all the plaudits,hes the one who the media give most of the attention to when they talk about young boxers.regardliss of wether he is scottish,welsh,n irish or even manx i would still have the same opnion.i think im not the only one.

as for harrison i worte that thread frm my own perspective.however if i am honest natinality does come into that one for me.

now to your intial point.to me i dont necesserly follow boxers because there scottish.i will always favour a scottish one if there fighting someone else who is not scottsh;its the same with football.

however that is not to say that i dont watch/support other figthers;i love watching joe calzaghe,ricky hatton,kevin mitchell,enzo,derry matthews,carl froch etc amongst others and that wont change.

also something that is worth mentioning on this issue is that someof the best atmospheres i have been to are the domestic match upds between Scotland/england.these are the best for atmospheres when both boxers are well supported.you cant tell me that natinalty dosent come into it on those occasions.if both fighters were 'british' (as opposed to english/scottish) the atmosphere would be no were near as good

i am very proud of my country and i dont see that as a crime,this is one of the reasons i do my blog as i strongly feel scottish boxing dosent get the coverage it should get,but that is more a scottish problem,not a british problem
alba is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #17
themacallan
Chin Chin
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Among the British, does nationally play a part among assesment of boxers?

I'm as Scottish as they come and hate Britain but my favourite two boxers are both english. nigel benn and jono thaxton.
themacallan is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #18
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by themacallan
I'm as Scottish as they come and hate Britain but my favourite two boxers are both english. nigel benn and jono thaxton.

nigel benn...now there was a boxer.
alba is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #19
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCD
I dont class myself as British...Im English.

So i do tend to follow English fighters like Hatton and Murray.

Also Irish fighters.

Heritage i suppose.
this the thing.your english and there is nothing wrong with decalring that before being british,but people seem to think yu cant do that nowadays
alba is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #20
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

it means nothing whatsoever to me when assesing a fighters merits.i do tend to support the english fighters but really only marginally more than fighters from celtic nations.if a scottish fighter beats an english one it certainly doesn't break my heart...not like football!
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #21
dwilson

vCash:

I am British first and English second but when an English fighter fights a Jock or a Taff I do not mind who wins in terms of nationality. I support all British boxers and hope they all do well. I want the best fighters to do well and win but my preferance also comes down to the fighters personality and style.

I have often favoured Welsh fighters and Scottish fighters over my fellow English men. I will be supporting AAA over Nicky Cook when they meet and cheered Rogan through out the recent prize fighter event.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:09 PM   #22
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

I voted 'it means everything'

At the end of the day, Im a proud scotsman who loves scottish fighters.

I follow the sport closely, for instance Pacman is my favourite fighter to watch. However, if he was to fight Arthur or any other scot I would be cheering against him, & hoping the scot would knock his ****in head off!

Thats how I roll.

& I dont see anything wrong with my stance.

Arthur vs Cook? I know who I will be cheering on. IMO its pretty pathetic though that most posters here wont admit to having a national bias, cos I know 99.9% of them do when it comes to the crunch.

They just dont have the balls to admit it.

Theres nothing wrong with cheering your own in my book. I dont see the problem, but I suppose Im in the minority, cos everyone here is so mixed up with britishness, & what it means to be a fan of fighters from these shores.
To me, Britain doesnt exist. Its just a charade.

**** Britain. **** team GB. Be proud to be scottish, be proud to be english, be proud to be welsh & be proud to be irish. Why pretend we are all one & the same, when we plainly are not.
Think about it.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2008, 02:58 AM   #23
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

For me, among the British it doesn't mean anything at all but I don't think there is anything wrong with sticking up for your own country first. On the bit more closer to home front I would nearly always put a Liverpool fighter first.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2008, 04:15 AM   #24
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty

**** Britain. **** team GB. Be proud to be scottish, be proud to be english, be proud to be welsh & be proud to be irish. Why pretend we are all one & the same, when we plainly are not.
Think about it.

alba is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2008, 04:23 AM   #25
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOli
Personally I'm getting tired of Wales, and Scotland's moanings.
your getting tired of our moanings?thats priceless,you cant turn the tv for some right wing twat telling english people that people in Alba and Cymru are getting more money spent on them.

its all tiring.
alba is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2008, 04:28 AM   #26
dwilson

vCash:

I see no differance between a person from Wales, Irelan, Scotland or England in any way. Even our cultures cross over.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:30 AM   #27
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilson
I see no differance between a person from Wales, Irelan, Scotland or England in any way. Even our cultures cross over.
as a person sitting in the pub having a pint with,then yes.but if a scottish fighter was fighting an welsh fighter i would back the scottish fighter.

i thin k it adds another dimension to whole fight experience
alba is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2008, 04:53 AM   #28
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reilly
as a person sitting in the pub having a pint with,then yes.but if a scottish fighter was fighting an welsh fighter i would back the scottish fighter.

i thin k it adds another dimension to whole fight experience

No problem with that. I always like Yorkshire fighters to do well but I also usually like Scots to beat dirty Londoners and the Welsh to beat the cheating Mancs.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:41 AM   #29
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I think everyone has differing views, but as an Yorkie and an Englander, would always back my own.

But would still want the likes of Calzaghe, Arthur et al to beat Euro or US fighters. In domestic matches where I have no particular allegiance I either back the guy whom I simply enjoy watching more or be neutral.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2008, 06:32 AM   #30
Haye
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'm Welsh and couldn't give a shit about a single Welsh fighter.

JC used to be one of my favourites, but the cunt has revealed his true colours as a ducking, money grabbing prick. I hope Jones spanks him, ****** sues his ass dry and he is forgotten in a year, because he is undeserving of a legacy.
Haye is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum