Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Among the British, does nationally play a part among assesment of boxers?
It means everything 4 6.06%
A big part 4 6.06%
A fair old part 10 15.15%
It means a little 15 22.73%
It means very little 11 16.67%
It means nothing whatsoever 22 33.33%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2008, 07:20 AM   #31
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Among the British, does nationally play a part among assesment of boxers?

Touche!
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2008, 09:36 PM   #32
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Among the British, does nationally play a part among assesment of boxers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Swollocks

my favourite British fighters are Witter and Haye.

so what were you implying Jonoli?
That's simply not true though is it Betty - you don't like Haye. Why lie?

"Toney is old, fat and shot to **** but he should still be able to put gobshite David Haye in his place."
BettyS the other day
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2008, 09:53 PM   #33
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

To be fair, he doesn't like Witter either.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2008, 06:49 AM   #34
Taffyy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Harrison
I do regard Wales as merely the biggest county in England but in terms of boxing nationality means very little. I will invariably back a British fighter against an American but it matters not if he is not English. I suppose in a battle of Britain type of affair I'll back an Englishmen over Irish or Scottish but I'm not that separatist. My old man being Irish dilutes any strong nationalistic feeling many seem to harbour.
Wales as a county of England.........Thats just offensive mate....
My favourite fighter was panamanian but I do feel myself leaning toward a welshman in a fight & as far as the British thing goes I will usually be behind any Celtic fighter against a saxon one , afterall the english are not even true "britons"......
Taffyy is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #35
WelshintheUS
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

The question is Assesment of a boxer though not do you like one more because he is local.

It is natural to support your local fighters, but any boxing fan with any objectivity should be able to see the weakneses of their fighters and not be blinded by loyalty.

Most people in the UK wanted Bruno to beat Tyson but most boxing fans knew that he probably wouldn't.

My Favourites are Nigel Benn and Marvelous Marvin
WelshintheUS is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #36
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOli
That's simply not true though is it Betty - you don't like Haye. Why lie?

"Toney is old, fat and shot to **** but he should still be able to put gobshite David Haye in his place."
BettyS the other day
I have sudenly gone off Haye big time, I really liked him until about 2 weeks ago then his bullhsit got very tiresome. The shite he talked about Toney was the main factor.

I like Witter, Froch, Danny Williams amongst others. What was your point by the way?
Betty Swollocks is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #37
FLINT ISLAND
PENYRHEOL
ESB Addict

I would say it does not influence me when it comes to boxing.

I am Welsh - but I am not proud of that - I would have rather been born American.

It only influences me on a local level - like Enzo Maccarenelli is from Swansea same as me - so there is extra interest in this fighter.

But apart from that I prefer to just like a fighter for his style - etc.

And I admire alot of American fighters more than British fighters.

Saying that when alot of pride is on the line - like Benn and McCllenan - I am behind the Brit

but Clinton Woods V Roy Jones - I didnt want to see Woods win just because he is British and ruin Jones legacy - no way.
FLINT ISLAND is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2008, 02:59 PM   #38
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLINT ISLAND
Iut Clinton Woods V Roy Jones - I didnt want to see Woods win just because he is British and ruin Jones legacy - no way.
who would you want to win out joe/roy ?
alba is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #39
FLINT ISLAND
PENYRHEOL
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reilly
who would you want to win out joe/roy ?
In their prime - it would be bad to see either of them lose - top fighters who I both like - but Jones I think would have wan.

In this fight coming up - I have gone a bit sour on Calzaghe for the way he is closing out his career in a "safe" and "sell out" fight against a old shot fighter with just a name.

I hope Roy wins now - just to teach Calzaghe a lesson and ruin his "perfect" retirement.

If Calzaghe aint up for the fight with real fighters anymore he should quit now - instead of fighting on one last time for the pure greed of money against a shot fighter
FLINT ISLAND is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2008, 10:59 PM   #40
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Swollocks
I have sudenly gone off Haye big time, I really liked him until about 2 weeks ago then his bullhsit got very tiresome. The shite he talked about Toney was the main factor.

I like Witter, Froch, Danny Williams amongst others. What was your point by the way?
Any Boxer that is very popular and English you seem to hate beyond belief. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say it's just pure coincidence Betty.

Anyway, if Scotland decide to become an independent nation I wonder if there will be a different section for each nation - or would we all have to go in the Euro section.

Last edited by JonOli; 09-11-2008 at 12:45 AM.
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2008, 05:56 AM   #41
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOli

Anyway, if Scotland decide to become an independent nation I wonder if there will be a different section for each nation - or would we all have to go in the Euro section.
no thats just ****ing stupid.

if we left the uk ...you would still have Wales,England and Northern Ireland in the union.
alba is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2008, 06:19 AM   #42
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.

Nothing wrong in supporting in supporting a celt over a englishman and vice versa. Its just completely irrelevant to me.
I will support a brit over a foreigner however.

Carl Froch excepted of course.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #43
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

i consider my self british first. unlike alot of people here are stating "english first", which i find strange and overtly nationalistic. i will watch england play football but will turn it over to scotland when the games on.

if a fighter comes from london then maybe i will have a bit more of a conection....but i wanted pryce to batter small.

just thinking of all the examples. i also liked leuvano better than cook. found him much more technically adept and just better overall and then when he started to drop cook with body shots i knew i picked a winner.
in the end i feel it has very little standing. i support fighters i like not becuase they come from a town thats within the national borders of mine aswell.
it's crazy

dunky will prolly make it out that the english are supressing him....no one else...just him.
Vantage_West is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum