Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 07-29-2007, 10:23 PM   #16
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mundine vs Winky - who would win this close matchup at 168 -question mark-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Boxing
I was very unimpressed by Winky at 170 pounds. Just seemingly had no "ring smarts" and *let* Hopkins just completely be the ring general.

Honestly, to me, all he did was come forward and throw out a a few jabs (which were NOT landing as much as the punch stats say), get on the inside and try to throw a few nothing flurries (to, as Birmingham kept saying, "keep the numbers up&quot.

Against THAT Winky, it's a close close close fight! Mundine's speed and potshots could find a way through Winky's defence for a points win.

The Winky we're used to seeing at 160, and its a different fight. Doesn't look like he'd be able to hold that extra 8 pounds very well though.
Sounds like we watched a different fight then. When I watched the Hop v Wright fight, I saw winky getting off more, pushing Hopkins back and landing more consistently, right up unitl the end when hopkins just made it the dirtiest fight possible, constantly leading with his head and clinching. That said, BHop is one of the craftiest ring veterens ever, who can fight both inside and outside very well. Mundine won't be able to mix it up with Winky in close like Hop did, as he doesn't have a great inside game, and won't be able to outbox Winky either.
MSTR is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2007, 11:10 PM   #17
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611
Default Re: Mundine vs Winky - who would win this close matchup at 168 -question mark-

Mundine by UD.
teke is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 11:14 PM   #18
jb1
REFLECTION OF PERFECTION
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teke
Mundine by UD.
jb1 is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 11:18 PM   #19
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR
Sounds like we watched a different fight then. When I watched the Hop v Wright fight, I saw winky getting off more, pushing Hopkins back and landing more consistently, right up unitl the end when hopkins just made it the dirtiest fight possible, constantly leading with his head and clinching. That said, BHop is one of the craftiest ring veterens ever, who can fight both inside and outside very well. Mundine won't be able to mix it up with Winky in close like Hop did, as he doesn't have a great inside game, and won't be able to outbox Winky either.
You saw a diff fight than the one i saw 3 times. Hopkins clinched and roughed up but i didnt see Winky landing too much at all. Hopkins def landed the cleaner punches and fought very smart with his movement. Winky did the same ole thing, plod forward and cover up, it is very effective in scoring pts but was never going to work against Hopkins.
teke is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 11:19 PM   #20
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1
I'll take and 6mth off the board bet if the fight ever happens
teke is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 11:28 PM   #21
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Don't do off board bets they just ruin the site. 6 month avatar would be pretty bad, especially if it was a really good one. I would be up for that in a second, provided the match is made within the next year, which is highly unlikely.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 11:30 PM   #22
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR
Don't do off board bets they just ruin the site. 6 month avatar would be pretty bad, especially if it was a really good one. I would be up for that in a second, provided the match is made within the next year, which is highly unlikely.
I got JB1s number. I would bet Mundine vs Ali (prime) and he'd still lose
teke is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 11:33 PM   #23
EelsRule
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

You dont need to be active during a fight to beat Winky, Hopkins is hardly active, infact I would call him a stiff in the ring. I've yet to see him in a fight I've enjoyed.
Having said that Winky isnt going to fight Mundine, Mundines best bet would be to try to get sparing with a guy of this calibre. Hypothetically though, I believe Winky would win a close 12 rounder.
EelsRule is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 11:37 PM   #24
jb1
REFLECTION OF PERFECTION
ESB Full Member

Quote:
lets up the ante if it ever happens loser leaves esb for good
jb1 is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 11:45 PM   #25
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1
Deal
teke is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2007, 12:15 AM   #26
KO Boxing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 950

Quote:
I got JB1s number. I would bet Mundine vs Ali (prime) and he'd still lose

On Winky-Hopkins, I really wasn't impressed with Winky. Yes, he came forward and pushed the action. But he was 0% effective. And it looked as if I was not exagerrating that stat... 0%. I think I can remember possibly 3 or maybe 4 punches that actually landed clean. And 2 out of the 3 were jabs.

So other than coming forward and applying INeffective aggression (EFFECTIVE aggression is what counts), he did nothing for me... Hops an easy 8-4 in my view
KO Boxing is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2007, 02:22 AM   #27
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1
Don't do that. Teke is a good poster it would be a shame to see him leave.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2007, 02:27 AM   #28
Marcus
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Mundine wins i hate to say. Winky is lookin a little old now and this would be a fight that Choc would prepare like a machine for.

Mundine wins UD
Marcus is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2007, 02:31 AM   #29
BoppaZoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1132

i think this would be a close fight.

i mean Winky is getting older and he is starting to go on the slide.
as for Mundine he is very inconsistant. some nights he turns up and other nights he goes missing in his fights.

so against Winky he would have to fight like he did against Green and Soliman, because if he fights like he did against Kessler and Nievas he would lose to Winky.

i have to say they Winky looks like he struggles with bigger men than him and Mundine is naturally bigger and just as quick.

so me i would say

if this fight was Winky's last and took place in say Jan 2008 because they both just had fights and it would take that long to put a fight like this together.

i would say i would pick

Mundine in a close SD. thats how close it would be a feel.
BoppaZoo is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2007, 04:25 AM   #30
EelsRule
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I'll take a one year avatar beat that the fight doesnt happen ever.
EelsRule is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum