Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-28-2007, 12:06 AM   #1
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Ranking fighters

I notice a lot of threads here begging the question "where do you rank so-and-so." I winder if the author means this literally, and then I tune in to see the replies. Sure enough, there are actually people that will spout of with such things as "I rank him 34th all time at that weight" or some such.

This absolutely boggles my mind. I just can't get my brain around this type of thing. Who would actually sit down and document a list of anything past maybe number ten at the most? What criteria do they use, and don't the lines blur after a while? I mean seriously, is there any REAL distinction between a number 23 heavyweight and a number 31? Does it even matter?

Do any of you seriously do this? Sit down and write out you top 100 all-time lists and weigh number 79 against number 55? That's just amazing to me.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2007, 12:10 AM   #2
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Ranking fighters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
I rank George foreman at number 1843 all time p4p

............There are people here who could actually readily supply a list of the 1842 before him, too.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 03:20 AM   #3
Thinman
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan
I notice a lot of threads here begging the question "where do you rank so-and-so." I winder if the author means this literally, and then I tune in to see the replies. Sure enough, there are actually people that will spout of with such things as "I rank him 34th all time at that weight" or some such.

This absolutely boggles my mind. I just can't get my brain around this type of thing. Who would actually sit down and document a list of anything past maybe number ten at the most? What criteria do they use, and don't the lines blur after a while? I mean seriously, is there any REAL distinction between a number 23 heavyweight and a number 31? Does it even matter?

Do any of you seriously do this? Sit down and write out you top 100 all-time lists and weigh number 79 against number 55? That's just amazing to me.
I don't mean to be an a****, but you are right. I have always wonder how they do it.

I can try but... that is the most that I can do...

Let me try again..... the best at 135 are.... ..... In not particular order..

Esteban de Jesus,
Barney Ross
Roberto Duran
Ken Buchanan
Alexis Arguello...

.........I hate this, but I forgot the rest...... sorry. Does my ranking sound right?
Thinman is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 03:27 AM   #4
Thinman
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
............There are people here who could actually readily supply a list of the 1842 before him, too.
Not kidding. And they can tell you their tel. # and e-mail address too.

Did you box before you started posting in this forum?.....be careful...because you might be on that list too.
Thinman is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 03:36 AM   #5
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 301

Quote:

It is silly to a degree, but one mans #50 could be the next mans #5, and neither are right or wrong.

Rankings period are entirly opinions... Even today if you asked 100 people who knew a lot about boxing to rate the top ten middleweights it would be highly, highly improbable that everyone would have the same ten.

And that is just rating the fighters who weigh 160lbs today. Now rate every single 160lber there has been since 1885 and it becomes bit more ludicrous, but it can be fun to do, just take everything written down with a pinch of salt.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 12:44 AM   #6
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

it is absurd yet it means so much to so many. The best I ever saw was the 1999 fan poll conducted by Ring magazine of which I was a proud participant

I'm surprised that this poll never comes up in the threads, I suspect the reason being that few if any know about it.
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 12:48 AM   #7
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Ross is number 1.
Follow by Armstrong who beat a shot Ross
Than Robinson who beat a shot Armstrong
Than well you get the point.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 12:57 AM   #8
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

And whats wrong with that?? Here is a guy that beat fellow top ten pound for pounders IN there prime like Cani and McLarin. I want to hear about Robinson getting that claim. He beat a shot Armstrong. And of couse Galvian didnt fight that many great fighters compare to Armstrong and Ross.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:05 AM   #9
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Great post Sal, very interesting. You'll notice i've barely done a list in my life lol. I think i did a top 10 Heavyweight one, but even at this simple level it's complicated. I do respect guys efforts like SS and MM (and others of course) tho, they do get right into it and nut out some very good comments and opinions.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 01:07 AM   #10
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Great post Sal, very interesting. You'll notice i've barely done a list in my life lol. I think i did a top 10 Heavyweight one, but even at this simple level it's complicated. I do respect guys efforts like SS and MM (and others of course) tho, they do get right into it and nut out some very good comments and opinions.
Your lists look as bad as your shit smells!
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 01:08 AM   #11
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Ross held 3 weight titles at the same time in 1934. A good 4 years before Armstrong repeated the feat.

And beating pound for pound champ like Cani, Great underated fight Petrolle, Fellow Welterweight great McLarin, He beat Garcia who Armstrong muster a draw with, beat the highly underated Frankie Flick, beat fomer champ Sammy Fullmer, and Battling Battalino. These guys are a murders role of who's who's and can not be dismissed. Robinson made his run out of fighting Fullmer and Balsio muiltpy times in yes bouts that are rember, but he didnt take on evey one like Ross did. A certain Charley Burly is lacking a title shot the last time I heard.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:15 AM   #12
Street Lethal
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

10 or 20 and then honorable mentions seems sufficient.
Street Lethal is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 01:19 AM   #13
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Robinson lost to fighters he shouldnt have like Turpin. He also is best rember for series vs Lamotta, Fullmer, and Balsio. All 3 one dimsion sluggers that gave Robinson problems. Also Robinson held only 2 weight titles compare to Ross's 3, Outside of fight these 3 guys over and over again, and beating Galivan and perhaps Sammy the Clich Angott, He relly didnt do anything compare to Ross, He also had WAY more losses on his record during his middleweight championship days. He coulnt hold it for a year until a Turpin level of fighter was holding the crownd. He was not the weight jumper Ross or even Cani was.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:22 AM   #14
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster
Your lists look as bad as your shit smells!
What are you doing smelling my turds? You're a worry you are

Old 07-29-2007, 01:23 AM   #15
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Who woulda thought this thread would turn into debate about particular rankings lol

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum