Old 06-19-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Forgotten great fighters, Part VII

Duilio Loi

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Duilio Loi was born on April the 19th in 1929 in Trieste/ Italy. He was only 5´4˝ tall, but was built compact and strong, he was pysically very strong and made sometimes fitness exercises, he weighed between 133 lbs. and 146 lbs. and fought as an Lightweight and Light Welterweight. His trainer was Aldo Spoldi, also a former good fighter who fought the likes of Henry Armstrong, Sammy Angott, Freddie Miller, etc. His style was easy to describe: Very good fast and stiff jab, unbelievable high pace, great stamina, great chin (never knocked down or even stunned), good skills, very slick, great defense, brawler with a high volume of punches, he was always exciting to watch.
He has a great resume of 126 fights, where he won 115 (26 KO´s), 8 draws and only 3 defeats (all defeats were avenged in rematches), he defeated great/very good fighters like the English Tommy Barnham, in the USA Glen Flanagan, unbeaten Bruno Visintin, Ernesto Formenti, Emilio Marconi, Jorgen Johansen, Ray Famechon, former World Champ Wallace Smith, Giancarlo Garbelli, Fred Galiana, Conny Rudhoff, Piet Van Klaveren, Fortunato Manca, Carlos Ortiz, Eddie Perkins, etc. Against Ortiz, a three fights-trilogy, Loi was robbed the 1st time in the USA against Ortiz viá SD, the crowd hooted and were angry that the wrong fighter won, that´s why a 2nd fight was made, this time Loi won viá MD, also a very close fight. In their 3rd fight Loi was clearly the better fighter, knocked Ortiz in the 6th round down, and hurt him badly in the 13th, he won with 3, 5 and 8 points difference. Against Perkins it was a draw in their 1st fight, the 2nd one Loi showed that he was already washed up, although he knocked Perkins in the 1st round and in the 14th round down, he lost this fight. In the 3rd fight Loi made a hard preparation for 3 months and said himself he trained so hard like he never did. He won this fight clearly and retired on top. We should notice that Loi, when he fought the young guns Ortiz and Perkins in their primes, was already washed up and not near prime. He suffered also a pretty bad car accident in 1956, where he hurt his leg. During his prime he was ducked by many fighters.

He defended his Italian Lightweight Title for 5 times, his European crown for 13 times, he fought in Italy, France, Denmark, USA, Tunisia, Australia, Switzerland, England, Another interesting thing is, that Loi could accommodate himself to his opponents, Perkins said for example something interesting: " I fought Duilio Loi three times, but I fought three different kind of fighters!" Loi could brawl with punchers like Manca, Ortiz, Galiana, etc., but he could also box with boxing master techniques like Perkins, Famechon, etc. When Loi was asked about the fighter who was the most difficult to fight, Loi answered surprisingly with Gianluigi Uboldi. Duilio Loi was finally introducted in the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2005.

Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2007, 05:55 AM   #2
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Default Re: Forgotten great fighters, Part VII

Edit
Old 06-20-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
Sizzle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Very interesting once again!

My question is, having defeated everyone he ever faced, why didn't he fight for the World title?

Lack of ambition or did boxing politics hold him back?

BTW, these are great, keep em coming.
Sizzle is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2007, 06:21 AM   #4
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle

My question is, having defeated everyone he ever faced, why didn't he fight for the World title?

Thanks! He fought for the world title against Carlos Ortiz at Light Welterweight, lost in the USA a SD, than in the rematch in Italy he won also a close MD, than in their 3rd fight he won a UD with 3, 5 and 8 points more than Carlos. Than against Perkins it was a draw, the 2nd one a loss and in their 3rd fight Loi won. The problem was, that Loi was in his prime ducked so long, that´s why he fought later for the World Title (almost when he wanted to end his career)...
Old 06-20-2007, 06:22 AM   #5
unitas
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle

he did fight for a world title.........he held the jr.welter belt.

the question i would ask is why he only fought for the world title at the end of his career and not earlier.
unitas is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2007, 07:23 AM   #6
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitas
he did fight for a world title.........he held the jr.welter belt.

the question i would ask is why he only fought for the world title at the end of his career and not earlier.

Like I wrote, he was ducked by most fighters at LW. He traveled to USA to conquer fans there, but he never got the chance. Ortiz, a great LW in his prime, thaught it would be good and quick earned money zo fight for the LWW World Title against a European fighter with a padded record, but he was wrong.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:43 AM   #7
jyuza
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Like I wrote, he was ducked by most fighters at LW. He traveled to USA to conquer fans there, but he never got the chance. Ortiz, a great LW in his prime, thaught it would be good and quick earned money zo fight for the LWW World Title against a European fighter with a padded record, but he was wrong.
Great job. Thank you.
jyuza is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2007, 07:50 AM   #8
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyuza
Great job. Thank you.
You´re welcome!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:27 AM   #9
unitas
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
how do you think he would have done against joe brown???
unitas is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2007, 09:48 AM   #10
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
how do you think he would have done against joe brown???

IMO he would have beaten him, Brown at his best was a very good fighter, but a prime Loi was just better to be honest... what do you think, unitas?
Old 06-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #11
unitas
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
IMO he would have beaten him, Brown at his best was a very good fighter, but a prime Loi was just better to be honest... what do you think, unitas?
well, loi beat the same ortiz that later schooled brown. then again, joe brown was 35 and faded when he met ortiz.

first fighter to come to my mind was kenny lane, a guy who ran brown real close. kenny was also a light punching slickster.......similar to loi.
but loi was better than lane IMO.......so he might pull it off.

but then i remembered browns fight with future jr.middle champ dupas, who was a slickster without much power. and after early difficulties, brown adapted and took out dupas. and dupas was better than lane IMO.

so who wins this

real real close IMO.

i see loi being to quick for him early, then coming on late after adapting.

so whats my pick.........i say brown hangs on to the belt with a draw.

but a close win either way is certainly in the cards.
unitas is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2007, 05:39 AM   #12
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Another good profile. Keep em coming.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2007, 03:38 PM   #13
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
well, loi beat the same ortiz that later schooled brown. then again, joe brown was 35 and faded when he met ortiz.

first fighter to come to my mind was kenny lane, a guy who ran brown real close. kenny was also a light punching slickster.......similar to loi.
but loi was better than lane IMO.......so he might pull it off.

but then i remembered browns fight with future jr.middle champ dupas, who was a slickster without much power. and after early difficulties, brown adapted and took out dupas. and dupas was better than lane IMO.

so who wins this

real real close IMO.

i see loi being to quick for him early, then coming on late after adapting.

so whats my pick.........i say brown hangs on to the belt with a draw.

but a close win either way is certainly in the cards.

Good description, right-minded arguments!
Old 06-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #14
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Another good profile. Keep em coming.

Thx!
Old 06-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #15
unitas
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Good description, right-minded arguments!
unitas is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum