Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 168
Default Ray Robinson vs. Roberto Duran

Roberto Duran gets alot of respect on this forum, and it's deserved. One poster thinks That the 'Montreal' Duran could beat SRR...
Well.... here we go.
This fight has always fascinated me...with the styles and personalities of both fighters. Can you imagine what the 'old school' Robinson would have thought of Duran at the press conference? Spewing profanities in Spanish, grabbing his crotch, and flipping off his wife....What would Robinson have thought?
In Montreal, Duran was at his absolute zenith...his very , very best. This performance was one of the best of all time in my opinion...and I think I can safely write, it's for this reason Duran is so well respected.
He was simply brilliant.
In the ring, Duran would find out that he was in with another predator...a bigger, faster predator...who could hit very hard. After the first Duran/Leonard fight, Leonard stated at one time he wanted to rematch Duran as soon as possible due to the fact that Duran was partying AND he had heard Duran had been urinating blood for a time following the fight.
I think it's safe to say that Robinson is a superior puncher to Leonard. Judging by the way that he dispatched middles on film...It simply stands to reason that Robinson would have been devastating at welter.
I've seen a short clip of Robinson's 3rd fight with Sammy Angott at welter, in the early rounds Angott engages Robinson in some blistering exchanges, Robinson, with his hands at his sides, using his reflexes to avoid blows welcomes the trading.... but later in the fight, Angott elects to stay away from Robinson...dancing away. after feeling his power.
I think the fight with Duran would take a similar pattern, with Duran using his bullying tactics, and attacking in the early rounds as he did with Leonard...Robinson would welcome the fight...Duran wouldn't facing a wide eyed rookie like Leonard that first time....He would be facing a man who had fought off a Jake LaMotta, who applied constant pressure and weighed 16 lbs more than he did....he would be facing a man that fought a Fritzie Zivic, who tried to gauge his eyes out....Ray beat them.....and he would beat Duran too.
Robinson by comfortable UD.
Duran uses every trick he knows to survive til final bell
dpw417 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
cuchulain
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ray Robinson vs. Roberto Duran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417
Roberto Duran gets alot of respect on this forum, and it's deserved. One poster thinks That the 'Montreal' Duran could beat SRR...
Well.... here we go.
This fight has always fascinated me...with the styles and personalities of both fighters. Can you imagine what the 'old school' Robinson would have thought of Duran at the press conference? Spewing profanities in Spanish, grabbing his crotch, and flipping off his wife....What would Robinson have thought?
In Montreal, Duran was at his absolute zenith...his very , very best. This performance was one of the best of all time in my opinion...and I think I can safely write, it's for this reason Duran is so well respected.
He was simply brilliant.
In the ring, Duran would find out that he was in with another predator...a bigger, faster predator...who could hit very hard. After the first Duran/Leonard fight, Leonard stated at one time he wanted to rematch Duran as soon as possible due to the fact that Duran was partying AND he had heard Duran had been urinating blood for a time following the fight.
I think it's safe to say that Robinson is a superior puncher to Leonard. Judging by the way that he dispatched middles on film...It simply stands to reason that Robinson would have been devastating at welter.
I've seen a short clip of Robinson's 3rd fight with Sammy Angott at welter, in the early rounds Angott engages Robinson in some blistering exchanges, Robinson, with his hands at his sides, using his reflexes to avoid blows welcomes the trading.... but later in the fight, Angott elects to stay away from Robinson...dancing away. after feeling his power.
I think the fight with Duran would take a similar pattern, with Duran using his bullying tactics, and attacking in the early rounds as he did with Leonard...Robinson would welcome the fight...Duran wouldn't facing a wide eyed rookie like Leonard that first time....He would be facing a man who had fought off a Jake LaMotta, who applied constant pressure and weighed 16 lbs more than he did....he would be facing a man that fought a Fritzie Zivic, who tried to gauge his eyes out....Ray beat them.....and he would beat Duran too.
Robinson by comfortable UD.
Duran uses every trick he knows to survive til final bell
Duran would have survived till the last bell, and lost a decisive decision.
cuchulain is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Robinson UD
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 09:13 PM   #4
SteveO
MSW
ESB Addict

vCash: 1040

Robinson by UD.

But I bet Duran would get some good shots in.
SteveO is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
DFW
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

A win for Robinson.
DFW is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 10:08 PM   #6
SgrRyLeonard
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Robinson by UD in a great Fight.
SgrRyLeonard is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #7
BUDW
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Robinson beats a game Duran to a pulp 15 rd ud.
BUDW is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 03:38 AM   #8
enquirer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think its a tribute to the greatness of duran that the montreal win is so highly respected universally,and the fact that many are picking duran to be competitive with the consensus best 147 and p4p man in history speaks volumes bearing in mind duran was 13 pounds over his best,had over seventy pro fights and was heading into his thirties against leonard...
I will buck the trend and say that i saw enough in montreal to say that roberto can beat robinson over 15 for a UD if robinson elects to fight the way leonard did...You just cannot beat roberto at these lower weights by standing with him,his defense is too good,his offense and inside attack relentless,and the taller quicker boxer nullifies all his advantages...Yes robinson has more offense than leonard but that will be nullified somewhat by duran crowding him and not allowing him full leverage,robinson always had trouble with pressure fighters and duran is THE pressure fighter extraordinaire,coupled with defensive genius,granite chin, great 15 round stamina and an insane workrate....
The way robinson wins this is by jabbing,moving and tying up duran inside...
enquirer is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 03:51 AM   #9
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Robinson, UD- Duran would have his moments, though. Great matchup.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 07:02 AM   #10
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

I think it would be a great fight, and filled with action. The bout would not be onesided in terms of scoring, but in terms of mind numbing damage it would be. Duran hits hard enough to make the fight interesting. It's not as though he's not a puncher. I just don't believe he his power will have as much of an effect on Ray, as Ray's power does on him.

I think Ray would find Duran with the same weapon Hearn's used to defeat him. I just don't see it coming as soon. Duran's flaw against his taller foes is that he stands too straight up, and is vulnerable to straight right hands. Duran also has a great chin, and most can't make him pay the way Hearns did.

Ray is another fighter that would make him pay. Robinson by stoppage, around 7th or 8th round.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 07:09 AM   #11
enquirer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I dont think robinson would stop duran,hearns beat a fatter,slower,older out of shape duran,but hearns had a unique blend of speed,reach,size,rapier jab,early rounds killer instinct and one punch power that even robinson didnt have.....Robinson doesnt punch as hard as tommy with the right hand,and the key is setting the power punches up with the long and very fast jab,whilst keeping put of range.
When robinson is one the offense he is in front of you,tommy is stepping back,punching hard and fast forwards then away again backwards,watch hearns v cuevas and duran for graphic illustrations of his elusiveness and use of reach/distance when on the attack v smaller opponents....
enquirer is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 08:24 AM   #12
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

I see your points, enquirer. I don't think Robinson would stop him quite the same way Hearns did. I just believe it will come from the same punch. I think this fight would be action packed. I also believe that there are only so many right hands from Robinson that Duran could take.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 08:34 AM   #13
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417
I think the fight with Duran would take a similar pattern, with Duran using his bullying tactics, and attacking in the early rounds as he did with Leonard...
I'm not sure if you're implying it, but i'm pretty sure that Duran would not back up. Even when Hearns (a harder puncher than Robinson) beat the crap out of him, he didn't stay away after feeling his power. Duran would be coming forward, intelligently.
ChrisPontius is online now  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 09:17 AM   #14
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
I'm not sure if you're implying it, but i'm pretty sure that Duran would not back up. Even when Hearns (a harder puncher than Robinson) beat the crap out of him, he didn't stay away after feeling his power. Duran would be coming forward, intelligently.
Well...in the Hearns fight, Not to take away from Tommy's outstanding effort...That was not the real Duran, in my opinion. When you make a statement like Hearns is a harder puncher than Robinson(?)...That is very debatable.. Each man brings a different dynamic to the table...Hearns employs a punching style where he gets leverage from the outside...Robinson could operate on the outside as well, but on the inside he could also rip very short uppercuts and hooks with alot of power.
If Duran went to the inside with Hearns, he would have been safer, (at least for a little while longer anyway) but on the inside with Robinson?...Duran would have eventually elected to box, due to the speed and power of Robinson on the inside..Not unlike what he did with Hagler. Duran had the skills to do this quite well...I think that is the tactic he would have employed. It would not get him a win against Robinson however. In my opinion.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #15
enquirer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Reckutnenvets,i agree there are only so many right hands a guy can take,but at welter duran was still quick and elusive and slipped a lot of punches. (unlike the 154 version v hearns.)
Im also not sure if robinson punches as quick with the one two (jab cross.) as hearns,and this is the combination that lands the right hand v duran.The more i think of it the more its going the distance,duran is too clever to get taken out by anyone except the uniquely styled hearns.
enquirer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum