Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 09-11-2008, 02:04 AM   #16
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: when rahman beat lewis

Its easy for people like myself to come in & say "I knew Lewis would win the rematch"
But I did, only after I seen Lewis at the weigh in. Thanks to Rahmans infamous antics pre rematch, Lewis weighed in the shape of his life. He looked awesome on the scales.
It was at that moment I thought, "****, Rahmans re-awakened the beast within Lennox"
Anyone who remembers the weigh-in probably shared the same thoughts as myself.
Lewis never looked in as good shape before or after that fight IMO.

Rahman took things too far, & paid the price. He made Lewis want to destroy him, & thats what happened.

Shame lewis dissed him in the post fight interview though, Lennox lacked class that time. He scored a brutal KO, he should have made peace with the rock.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2008, 02:57 AM   #17
Uppercut83
The Quitschkos are bums
ESB Addict

Lewis lost because he was careless, Khan was a KO waiting to happen since his first pro fight and everybody with a knowledge of boxing knew this and knows he was overhyped and not on the level he was supposed to be, his chin can't take a punchers punch.
Uppercut83 is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2008, 03:05 AM   #18
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppercut83
Lewis lost because he was careless, Khan was a KO waiting to happen since his first pro fight and everybody with a knowledge of boxing knew this and knows he was overhyped and not on the level he was supposed to be, his chin can't take a punchers punch.
I think you posted in the wrong thread fella.

We all get overexitable sometimes I suppose.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2008, 03:17 AM   #19
riggers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The difference between lewis Rahman 1 and Khan - Prescott is fairly straight forward to me. Lewis was proven over time already, was ahead on the cards at the time he got KO'd. Khan was stopped in 54 seconds including 2 counts. In that time he was hurt by a jab, a right hand, a left hook, another right and another left. He was hurt by more punches than not in that fight. Amir has won his fights on natural ability while for the most part forgetting to learn to box. In the fights that were learning fights ( limond and Gomez ) he took severe punishment. Amir has a chin problem for sure and compounds it by taking shots flush due to no head movement and no noticable defence.
riggers is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2008, 04:26 AM   #20
Bull Terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCD
I thought theier first fight was close at the finish.

I didnt think Rahman would win the second fight but there should have been a rubber match.

People seem to give Lennox a bypass for his **** ups.....lucky punch, not training proper, etc.

Lewis fought a very, very close fight with Mercer and refused to grant him a rematch.

Lewis went 1-1 with Rahman and refused to give him a third fight saying that he proved it was a lucky punch due to the ending of their rematch.....people bought that.

Lewis had an agreement with the alphabet belt (IBF I THINK) that the winner of Lewis Holyfield would meet Ruiz, Lewis refused to therefore was stripped, Lewis claims his superiority over Ruiz without actually fighting him, once again people dont question him.

Lewis then took Tyson to court to stop him having a warm up against Mercer because if Tyson lost it jepordised HIS fight.

Lewis beat Klitschko, questionably, and then retired instead of granting him a rematch.... again people made excuses, Lewis was undertrained, Lewis was training for another fighter as though Klitschko wasnt.

Well my rant has finished.
Fair enough, but when it's all said and done Lewis realistically fought nearly everybody in a really stacked division and BEAT everybody!
He had some great wins. Even the fight against Klitschko which you mentioned was a great win in my book. He came in out of shape and still managed to pull out the win against a highly motivated Klitschko. The win wasn't pretty, but at the end of the day his punches opened up the huge cut which won him the fight. It was still a legitimate TKO.
He also had other great wins over David Tua, Razor Ruddock, Tommy Morrison, Shannon Briggs, etc. When he fought Michael Grant, Grant at the time was being built up as the next big thing but Lewis got him out quickly enough.
Although Tyson went downhill really quickly and suddenly after their fight, at the time alot of people were giving him a great chance of winning. That was certainly Tyson's last serious fight before becoming a circus act. I think that Tyson had trained fairly properly and wanted to win, but past round 1 the fight became target practice for Lewis. That was another great win.
Bull Terrier is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2008, 05:03 AM   #21
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667

ANYONE who uses the Ruiz example has an anti-Lewis agenda. Ruiz was seen as crap by the entire boxing world, press, fans, the lot. He had been sparked inside one round by Tua beat a few nobodies and then laboured to a win over ****ing Jimmy Thunder. He then became the contender by a string of wins over no mark competition with the exception of a shot Tucker....

It was a choice between fighting Ruiz or dumping the belt and fighting the guy the Americans were saying was the next undisputed Heavyweight Champion in Michael Grant. The fact that Grant turned out to be nothing and hugely overrated is irrelevant, it was the fight all of America said Lewis was going to duck. I was on the Seconds Out message boards and remember well the long lines of threads about how Lewis was a coward and would fight no hoper Ruiz instead of the real challenge.

When Lewis opted for Grant there were a LOT of US commentators and fans saying Grant would do him. At that point Grant was 31-0 and had just stopped Golota.

So for someone to say "Ducked Ruiz and never gets called on it" is the most blatant agenda driven crap anyone can spout.
Strike is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2008, 05:07 AM   #22
Benjiabc
The Nottingham Hitman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike
ANYONE who uses the Ruiz example has an anti-Lewis agenda. Ruiz was seen as crap by the entire boxing world, press, fans, the lot. He had been sparked inside one round by Tua beat a few nobodies and then laboured to a win over ****ing Jimmy Thunder. He then became the contender by a string of wins over no mark competition with the exception of a shot Tucker....

It was a choice between fighting Ruiz or dumping the belt and fighting the guy the Americans were saying was the next undisputed Heavyweight Champion in Michael Grant. The fact that Grant turned out to be nothing and hugely overrated is irrelevant, it was the fight all of America said Lewis was going to duck. I was on the Seconds Out message boards and remember well the long lines of threads about how Lewis was a coward and would fight no hoper Ruiz instead of the real challenge.

When Lewis opted for Grant there were a LOT of US commentators and fans saying Grant would do him. At that point Grant was 31-0 and had just stopped Golota.

So for someone to say "Ducked Ruiz and never gets called on it" is the most blatant agenda driven crap anyone can spout.
well said
Benjiabc is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2008, 05:08 AM   #23
El Cepillo
Baddest Man on the Planet
East Side Guru

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLINT ISLAND
respected american boxing writer Budd Schleburg all time heavyweight rankings

he had Holyfield about at 10 or 11

Tyson at maybe 15

and Lennox Lewis at a lowly 25th postion

it seems the Americans dont rate him as highly as us Brits

I think he is top ten - but it is all time rankings - and any all time great would have a good chance of knocking him out with their power - like George Foreman - etc
It's not really a surprise that American's favour other American's. There not the most objective boxing fans in the world.
El Cepillo is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2008, 06:20 AM   #24
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:

Don't forget he also ducked Byrd to fight Tyson. Ducked Bowe by not taking the 10% they offered him (which maybe he should have done actually).

And if you listen to the Ku Klux Klitchko fans he ducked Sanders in the 90s (who they all followed for years amid his 2nd round ko loss to no mark Nate Tubbs)
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2008, 06:31 AM   #25
"TKO"
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Ditto to all that. It was basically either fight WBA mandatory Ruiz or WBC mandatory Grant (ranked #3 in the world by both Ring and Boxing Monthly). Lewis chose Grant, but actually offered to accomodate Ruiz next in the July date which eventually went to Frans Botha. Ruiz's camp declined and insisted that Lewis was stripped of the title. To be fair to Ruiz, I'm sure he would have given it a go against Lewis, however, I dare say having him and Holyfield face off for the vacant belt (and therefore regaining control of one portion of the title) seemed like a very good idea to Don King who promoted both fighters.
"TKO" is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2008, 09:17 AM   #26
dwpainz
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

being a big lewis fan i was devastated when rahman planted that bomb on him and going in to the rematch i saw it as a 50/50 fight even though i knew lennox was in better shape and probley the best version of lewis looking trim and that fear in him that made him so much better. as the first couple of rounds went by it was evident that this was reversal match with rahman playing the over confident champion and lennox the hungary challenger and i nearly tore the house down when in the 4th that left hand right hand combo sent rahman in to orbit and a round earlier to top it all off .
dwpainz is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2008, 09:26 AM   #27
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict

I didn't see Lewis-Rhaman 1 live and watched the replay later that day knowing what had happened. I actually had butterflies and was shaking a litle counting down the seconds in that round as I knew Lewis was about to get banged out....totally gutted.

I am still shaking now after the Khan-Prescott fight....just can't stop pissing myself at the wee cunt getting blootered.

that US analyst who has Lewis at 25 has some serious explaining to do.
Betty Swollocks is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2008, 09:43 AM   #28
"TKO"
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Swollocks
I didn't see Lewis-Rhaman 1 live and watched the replay later that day knowing what had happened. I actually had butterflies and was shaking a litle counting down the seconds in that round as I knew Lewis was about to get banged out....totally gutted.

I am still shaking now after the Khan-Prescott fight....just can't stop pissing myself at the wee cunt getting blootered.

that US analyst who has Lewis at 25 has some serious explaining to do.
Indeed. I personally have never heard of him, have to ask "respected" by whom exactly - his wife and kids?
"TKO" is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #29
Danny
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff
Probably because Lewis had been winning easily until he got caught...

Khan got lit up in under a minute losing every second of the fight. Hardly impressive.
Yeah. Lewis lost the fight as much as Rahman won it. Lennox took Hasim lightly, negelcted his training, was doing film commercials or something like that when he sould have been in the gym.

I remember Manny Steward voicing his concern over it at the time. But what a peach of a right hand it was that KO'd Lewis. One of the best I've seen. No way on earth he was getting up. The count could have been to 50, Lewis would not have made it.
Danny is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #30
Bodysnatcher
Champion
East Side Guru

edit

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 02-14-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Bodysnatcher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum