Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-27-2007, 07:33 AM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Ruddock - Where do you rank him...

Power wise?

What were his most impressive knockouts? Did he stop anyone with an iron chin?

Is he in your top 25 powerwise?
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2007, 08:12 AM   #2
Sonny's jab

vCash:
Default Re: Ruddock - Where do you rank him...

He hit hard.

Bonecrusher Smith was probably the most durable fighter he stopped. But Smith was visibly out-of-shape, a bit old, and no longer a real contender. But he had a great chin.

Actually the most impressive thing about Ruddock in that fight was not him stopping Smith but when he got floored by one of the Bonecrusher's best right hands, and picked himself up off the floor to win.
Bonecrusher was probably the hardest hitting heavyweight of the 80s, and he hit Ruddock with an awesome right hand to the temple that dumped Ruddock down hard.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:29 AM   #3
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Dokes had a pretty good beard.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
Dokes had a pretty good beard.
Unfortunately, he didn't have the skills to go with it at that time.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Ruddock's a bit of an anomaly regarding his power. Most fighters don't develop power during their careers, but Razor went from a pro that jabbed and moved, to a power-puncher. In all likelihood he probably always could punch, but in his earler fights, he was known as a boxer and not a puncher.

He started creating a buzz about his power in around 1989, and by 1990/1991he was pretty much unanimously regarded by magazines as the fighter with the hardest punch in boxing, despite Ring magazine stating the Tyson was the better puncher.
Certainly Tyson was impressed by Ruddock's power. He claimed it was like a mule kick.

I wouldn't know where to rank him and frankly I'm not bothered where exactly he stands, but if pressed I'd rank him with the elite as far as single hard punches go.
fists of fury is online now  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
Actually the most impressive thing about Ruddock in that fight was not him stopping Smith but when he got floored by one of the Bonecrusher's best right hands, and picked himself up off the floor to win.
Bonecrusher was probably the hardest hitting heavyweight of the 80s, and he hit Ruddock with an awesome right hand to the temple that dumped Ruddock down hard.
Yeah, a few posters on here remark here and there on Ruddock's amazing ability to get up.

He looked like he was shot when Morrison knocked him down, but lo and behold, he got up.

Pretty lucid after Tyson bashed him around.

And, he went the distance with Tyson the second time around.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

I've got a copy of Ruddock-Smith, he really wipes out...but, typical Ruddock, he's laughing while he's down there and gets back up. It clearly hurt (hell, it must've, a flush short right from Bonecrusher) but he recovers.

It's tough to think where to place him. Probably as a genuine contender, if not a champion. He was a 'one trick pony' for most of his career, which is a shame as he had a very powerful jab when needed, but it was certainly a very impressive trick...

I do wonder sometimes how he would've done if he hadn't had the loss to Lewis, and the inactivity that followed.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 09:42 AM   #8
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD
I've got a copy of Ruddock-Smith, he really wipes out...but, typical Ruddock, he's laughing while he's down there and gets back up. It clearly hurt (hell, it must've, a flush short right from Bonecrusher) but he recovers.

It's tough to think where to place him. Probably as a genuine contender, if not a champion. He was a 'one trick pony' for most of his career, which is a shame as he had a very powerful jab when needed, but it was certainly a very impressive trick...

I do wonder sometimes how he would've done if he hadn't had the loss to Lewis, and the inactivity that followed.
I think the placement question is power only.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 09:51 AM   #9
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Well, can't argue with a guy like Tyson giving him props, Mike's been hit by a lot of big names! Tommy Morrison also agreed with Tyson's assessment, he said Ruddock was the hardest hitter he fought.

The Dokes KO was chilling, Dokes wasn't even the same fighter as when he fought Holyfield but you just still didn't see that kind of thing happen to a durable guy like Dokes. That counts a lot for me. Even late in his career, I remember Ruddock utterly discombobulating ol' Jose Ribalta with a single sweeping left in '99.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 09:54 AM   #10
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Well, can't argue with a guy like Tyson giving him props, Mike's been hit by a lot of big names! Tommy Morrison also agreed with Tyson's assessment, he said Ruddock was the hardest hitter he fought.

The Dokes KO was chilling, Dokes wasn't even the same fighter as when he fought Holyfield but you just still didn't see that kind of thing happen to a durable guy like Dokes. That counts a lot for me. Even late in his career, I remember Ruddock utterly discombobulating ol' Jose Ribalta with a single sweeping left in '99.
Yeah, Rudduck had frightening power. It's funny, during the Crusher fight the tators disregarded Razor's power compared to Smith's but it can't have been far behind if any. One wonders if they changed their mind later.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:55 AM   #11
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
Actually the most impressive thing about Ruddock in that fight was not him stopping Smith but when he got floored by one of the Bonecrusher's best right hands, and picked himself up off the floor to win. Bonecrusher was probably the hardest hitting heavyweight of the 80s, and he hit Ruddock with an awesome right hand to the temple that dumped Ruddock down hard.
Yeah, I agree. That was one heck of a shot to get up off the deck from and win. When I think of Ruddock the first thing which springs to mind was his amazing recuprative powers he demonstrated it various times throughout his career.

The harpoon-like right hand that Lewis floored him with in the opening round of their fight is another example, though that time Razor didn't weather the storm ...
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 09:58 AM   #12
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

I wouldn't mind watching that fight again, oddly enough.

Not that it's an awesome fight...I used to find Bonecrusher supremely frustrating to watch in a lot of his late-career efforts, because he could see the openings but not throw the punches...but the last 3 rounds or so are, between Ruddock going down and then Smith for the finish.

Seem to recall that the Ruddock KD came when they both went for punches, ended up kinda shoulder-to-shoulder, then as then turned around Smith came over with this short right-hand blast and down went Ruddock.

The Smith KD...it was a couple of Smashes that had him wobbly, then a couple more shots and he went down right under the ropes, I believe.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 10:01 AM   #13
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes' Jab
The harpoon-like right hand that Lewis floored him with in the opening round of their fight is another example, though that time Razor didn't weather the storm ...
Well, 'harpoon' is a beautifully accurate way of describing it, it stole Ruddock's legs out from under him. But he still got up, still tried punching his way out of danger in the second round, and it took several more hard shots to put him down for keeps.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 10:01 AM   #14
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I wouldn't mind watching that fight again, oddly enough.

Not that it's an awesome fight...I used to find Bonecrusher supremely frustrating to watch in a lot of his late-career efforts, because he could see the openings but not throw the punches...but the last 3 rounds or so are, between Ruddock going down and then Smith for the finish.

Seem to recall that the Ruddock KD came when they both went for punches, ended up kinda shoulder-to-shoulder, then as then turned around Smith came over with this short right-hand blast and down went Ruddock.

The Smith KD...it was a couple of Smashes that had him wobbly, then a couple more shots and he went down right under the ropes, I believe.
Good memory.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:24 AM   #15
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

It's difficult to give Ruddock an accurate rating in terms of where he lies with the rest of the big bombers. Most of his best wins came against past prime versions of Smith, Dokes, Page, Broad and Weaver. Of course Tyson admitted full heartedly, that Ruddock hit hard enough, but then Tyson survived Razor's power, while he couldn't last against others. I remember watching Ruddock's fights with Smith, Dokes and Odum. The Dokes fight was on paper view on the same card as Boncrusher vs Weaver II. The Smith and Odum fights were some of the last heavyweight contender bouts that I ever watched on regular network television.
mr. magoo is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum