Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 09-15-2008, 06:40 AM   #16
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Barry McGuigan has changed his tune

Hitting without being hit is the art of boxing, all you have to do is watch someone like Mayweather, Roy Jones or Pernell Whitaker to see that at it's best - either in the ams or pros.

The scoring system doesn't encourage good boxing, i.e. the art of combinations, even simply 1-2 merchants don't succeed. The best way to succeed is to hit and run away - with open scoring the corners can give suitable instructions and the referees seem reluctant to penalise competitors for such tactics.

I think the RJJ decision was probably the worst in boxing history - if I would have been his opponent I would have been embarrassed to collect my gold medal. He knew he was a beaten man, yet somehow was given the nod.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2008, 08:03 AM   #17
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I watched a fight in the Olympics (quaters or semis) where one of the boxers went 2-0 up in the first 30 seconds and the just refused to fight for the rest of the round. He was chased around the ring like Rocky chased those chickens but he just refused to fight, he was bullied and caught with numerous body shots but the tactic of retreating behind a high guard and not firing back was enough to stop him conceding. Thats just not a working tactic in the pros yet its the mainstay of a lot of amateurs style.

Last edited by GazOC; 09-15-2008 at 09:23 AM.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2008, 09:18 AM   #18
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylexxx
Barry McGuigan has NOT changed his tune technically.

ITV were showing Khans fights and the ITV commentators have to big him up, its their job sadly.
spot on. if barry were to speak the truth he would lose out on some good money.

when he was on itv commentating on khan, he was always throwing hints that things werent all tehy seemed like saying that khan is years away from a title shot
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #19
Steve Fox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Based on what I've heard from Barry McGuigan, I'd assume he's not a keen boxing fan. It sounds as if he gets his information from the papers.
Steve Fox is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #20
fra
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fox
Based on what I've heard from Barry McGuigan, I'd assume he's not a keen boxing fan. It sounds as if he gets his information from the papers.
mcguigan is starting his own managerial firm...and his first signing is rumored 2 b darren sutherland the dublin middleweight who won a bronze at the olympics..
fra is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2008, 02:36 AM   #21
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Be careful when dissing the Baz McGuigan!

Last time I did, I had some mysterious noob telling me that its a small world & all that movie gangster guff, & that I should be careful what I say about him as hes watching!!!!

Be warned fellow ESB'ers. Bazza has friends in high places. You better say nice things about him.

I learned my lesson the hard way after the veiled threats, & now have to lie on the general forum that Barry didnt shit himself from a fight with Azumah Nelson.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2008, 06:33 AM   #22
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler
I think that the mainstream need to get off the whole hypetrain regarding top amateur boxers who achieve success at Olympic games.

Whilst that is a great achievement, it does not take away from the fact that Amateur and Professional boxing are two completely different sports these days, much like Rugby League and Rugby Union.

Many of the leading P4P fighters these days didn't have much of an amateur career to speak of - i.e. winning Olympic gold medals etc etc, whilst many of those that do simply cannot fight in a manner to be successful (Khan and Audley are two great examples). Because.......

1. Headguards protect/hide glass chins
2. If shaken, you are given a standing 8 rather than simply being finished off
3. The scoring system does not promote inside fighting/combos/ring generalship
4. Open scoring encourages running - something which will lose you fights as a pro

Certain leading amateurs can make the transition - such as Lennox, DLH, Wlad, PBF, RJJ etc, but back in those days the game wasn't as different as it is now. Could you really see the likes of David Price turning pro and succeeding, because I can't.
To be fair to Price he has said that he's staying am until 2012 in search of a gold.

I agree with a lot of what is said here. I still think the ams is a good place for a boxer to learn the basics. There are few pro's without any am experience who have acheived much. At the same time, being a good am doesnt make you a good pro!
PaddyD1983 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum