Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 01:17 AM   #16
gregsid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 262
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Contact lenses in amateur boxing

I've have used contacts while boxing since I started.
In sparring matches I normally only lose one, either from getting hit or just when I make a maneuver and quickly look in a certain direction they pop out.
During actual sanctioned fights I usually lose both by the end of it, but I can see a few feet in front of me even without them on so it never really affected my boxing, although if I could I rather have them in.
I am getting the corrective surgery though, probably next year.

Officially though, soft contacts are aloud.
gregsid is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2007, 01:45 AM   #17
Pugsley
Fat Bastard
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 335
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Contact lenses in amateur boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsid
I've have used contacts while boxing since I started.
In sparring matches I normally only lose one, either from getting hit or just when I make a maneuver and quickly look in a certain direction they pop out.
During actual sanctioned fights I usually lose both by the end of it, but I can see a few feet in front of me even without them on so it never really affected my boxing, although if I could I rather have them in.
I am getting the corrective surgery though, probably next year.

Officially though, soft contacts are aloud.
How is the safetiness of corrective eye surgery in terms of boxing? That is, a punch landing on your eye (increased pressure), any long term structurable vulnerabilities post surgery?
Pugsley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:53 AM   #18
Peterp
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 492
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Contact lenses in amateur boxing

i wear daily contacts when sparring and they do fly out quite a bit, not even from hard hits, just any light flick near the eye. I think it's because daily contacts are thinner, not as good quality as longer wear contacts
Peterp is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:27 PM   #19
gregsid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 262
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Contact lenses in amateur boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley
How is the safetiness of corrective eye surgery in terms of boxing? That is, a punch landing on your eye (increased pressure), any long term structurable vulnerabilities post surgery?
That is a good question and honestly I don't know the answer. That will be something I'll have to ask my doctor next time I see him.
gregsid is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:00 PM   #20
average_joe
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 244
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Contact lenses in amateur boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsid
I've have used contacts while boxing since I started.
In sparring matches I normally only lose one, either from getting hit or just when I make a maneuver and quickly look in a certain direction they pop out.
During actual sanctioned fights I usually lose both by the end of it, but I can see a few feet in front of me even without them on so it never really affected my boxing, although if I could I rather have them in.
I am getting the corrective surgery though, probably next year.

Officially though, soft contacts are aloud.
What sort of contacts do you use? I have the yearly ones. Maybe they don't pop out as much? I've never sparred, so I don't know, but it seems like it would be pretty hard to knock them out considering I need to pull them outwards with two fingers to remove them.
average_joe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:29 PM   #21
gregsid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 262
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Contact lenses in amateur boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe
What sort of contacts do you use? I have the yearly ones. Maybe they don't pop out as much? I've never sparred, so I don't know, but it seems like it would be pretty hard to knock them out considering I need to pull them outwards with two fingers to remove them.
I use soft contacts, but I have daily contacts so when I lose them it's not a big deal. And trust me contacts come out easier than you think, when your sparing or training your contacts dry up really easy, making them easier to pop out.
gregsid is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013