janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Langford would beat every incumbant ring champ from 147 to 175

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
What lhw would you put in with Langford with a view to beating him, all time?
Against a prepared Langford I think you I think you have to look to all time greats. We are talking Dillon, Greb, Tunney, Charles.

Quote:
Also, what is it about Langford's game that is enhanced at the heavier weights? In what ways does he grow as a fighter as he grows in weight?
The point when Langford really gets into his stride and starts dominating the competition comes abut the time when he has grown into a light heavyweight body. It is not so much that his game is enhanced more that he is starting to peak in terms of experience.

This is about the time that Jack Johnson decides that he dose not want to re match him.

Quote:
My feeling was always that he was punching hard enough to break backs at 160-175...
And beyond. Dont ever doubt it.
janitor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2007, 06:00 AM   #17
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe
So how does Langford beat Calzaghe then -questionmark- Why should I ignore the considerable doubt about Langfords chances in this fight and pick him -fullstop-
Primarily because he is far more proven against all time greats than Calzaghe. Langford has been beating pound for pound greats from his 18th birthday at lightweight all the way up to heavyweight. He is about as proven as you can get.

Lets not try to make Joe run before he can walk here. What makes you think that he is better than Kid Norfolk say or a whole host of other Langford victims?

It is also only fair to ask how his hands will hold up with 4-5oz gloves.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 06:04 AM   #18
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake
I see plenty of ATG's winning against him LHW and up. Hagler, also.

None of the men you mentioned. I find Langford's defense to be his weakness, and his athletic ability frightening. Foyd might have been able to counter his way to a decision against a young version.
I don't think that the film dose justice to the subtle aspects of Langfords defence like head movment.

Contemporary acounts sugest that he was verry adept with these.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 06:22 AM   #19
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

For whatever reasons Langford also lost to a load of fighters it is safe to assume Joe Calzaghe would muller -fullstop- But since Calzaghe hasn't beat or lost to anyone of note, we simply cannot make a pick, except one based on common sense (having examined his record, taken into account the year and having seen the limited footage), where we fairly confidently pick Calzaghe -fullstop-

Is the only justification of you view about Calzaghe's hands holding up -questionmark- No head movement will save you from Calzaghe's slaps -fullstop-
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 06:39 AM   #20
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

a) or b) -questionmark-

Langford was able to win despite being horribly out-weighed

a) Langford was a great boxer but his large opposition were, well kind of poorish

or

b) Langford was Calzaghe-like and beat up huge fighters, skilled by todays standards who would dominate today -questionmark-

Which do you think allowed these size mismatches to actually happen -questionmark-
Old 08-01-2007, 06:48 AM   #21
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
b) Langford was Calzaghe-like and beat up huge fighters, skilled by todays standards who would dominate today -questionmark-
This one! (sort of - might not put it exactly like you did)

I take it you've checked him out, yeah? I don't actually agree with Janitor, I think the footage we have shows an astonishing fighter and an extrememly tough man.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 07:14 AM   #22
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
I think the footage we have shows an astonishing fighter and an extrememly tough man.
I would agree 100% on that -fullstop-
Old 08-01-2007, 07:31 AM   #23
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
I would agree 100% on that -fullstop-

McGrain is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 07:31 AM   #24
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

It's absolutely insane to suggest a fighter whose style we have little knowledge of, could beat a whole load of top class fighters. Maybe you could say he'd beat Mayweather, but to go all out and suggest he'd beat Wlad or any above average heavyweight is ridiculous.

And whilst looking at his resume of fighters he beat, be fair and look at the losses on his record. He lost to fighters who had losing records and were probably awful fighters. You can't just say "He beat all these ATG's", whilst ignoring he lost to men who wouldn't break the top 20 in their division today. Like Larry Temple.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #25
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
For whatever reasons Langford also lost to a load of fighters it is safe to assume Joe Calzaghe would muller -fullstop-
There is no question about the reason Langford lost to those fighters.

If Calzaghe fought to Langfords schedule taking on world class fighters only days apart he would be a criple after six months. His hands would not have the durability never mind his body.

Quote:
But since Calzaghe hasn't beat or lost to anyone of note, we simply cannot make a pick, except one based on common sense (having examined his record, taken into account the year and having seen the limited footage), where we fairly confidently pick Calzaghe -fullstop-
To play devils advocate-

What if Calzaghe gets demolished by Mickel Kesler.

Would you still pick him over Langford?

Quote:
Is the only justification of you view about Calzaghe's hands holding up -questionmark- No head movement will save you from Calzaghe's slaps -fullstop-
Langford was prety good at dealing with guys like Calzaghe. I would expect him to deploy a sustained body attack and chip away breaking him down.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 11:02 AM   #26
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
It's absolutely insane to suggest a fighter whose style we have little knowledge of, could beat a whole load of top class fighters.
We know Langfords style prety well.

Quote:
Maybe you could say he'd beat Mayweather, but to go all out and suggest he'd beat Wlad or any above average heavyweight is ridiculous.
I am suggesting it big time.

Quote:
He lost to fighters who had losing records and were probably awful fighters. You can't just say "He beat all these ATG's", whilst ignoring he lost to men who wouldn't break the top 20 in their division today. Like Larry Temple.
Most of the records of fighters like Temple are missing. It is highly doubtfull that he actualy had a loosing record.

Last edited by Heavyrighthand; 04-07-2006 at 04:20 PM.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #27
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
We know Langfords style prety well.
I don't think so. What footage is there? It's like Fitz. you get a very basic look at what he did, but other than that, because of the erratic speed and very poor quality of the time, you just cannot see true details. His stance and other basic things, maybe, but there is no way you can examine his work.
Quote:
I am suggesting it big time.
Why? Fighting today he wouldn't be considered the more talented boxer against fighters like Chagaev. If it was in his rules, maybe, but I feel the huge size disadvantage would give him too large of a handicap. I doubt he'd stand a chance against Wlad under his won rules, never mind with a complete different ref style, large gloves and other stuff like that. He would have every disadvantage against Wlad or another heavyweight.
Quote:
Most of the records of fighters like Temple are missing. It is highly doubtfull that he actualy had a loosing record.
If that's the case, the chances are it was against local toughmen. If the opponent was of note, the fight would have been recorded by someone.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #28
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
I don't think so. What footage is there? It's like Fitz. you get a very basic look at what he did, but other than that, because of the erratic speed and very poor quality of the time, you just cannot see true details. His stance and other basic things, maybe, but there is no way you can examine his work.
Have a trawl around YouTube bro, he's on there and that stuff alone gives you a pretty good feel. Be worth your while. He's different.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 11:22 AM   #29
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

Quote:
What if Calzaghe gets demolished by Mickel Kesler.

Would you still pick him over Langford?

Calzaghe will lose to Kessler, Kessler also hammers Langford IMO -fullstop-
Old 08-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #30
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Calzaghe will lose to Kessler, Kessler also hammers Langford IMO -fullstop-
I think i've seen more footage of Langford than Kessler in terms of minutes, freakishly.

Nevertheless, Langford KO1 Kessler
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum