Old 08-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #31
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900
Default Re: workout routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka_X3
I prefer Pull ups and Dips over weights, like I said different trainers have different opinions, you know this relentless so why are you making out as if I am the only one? seriously I aint the only trainer that does not use weight lifting.
like i said a fighter doesn't have to lift weights but there are benefits, high reps of dips and pull ups will work strength endurance which a fighter definatly needs but there are so many other aspects that he will miss out,

and no you are not the only one, you are doing what you were taught,

you dont like weight training fair enough, but i would advise you to checkout interval training.
Relentless is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #32
Nwil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
i see your point, but injury usually has something to do with the person performing the exercises, i mean an iron cant hurt you, you also probably tried maxing out everytime right?

your weight training routine looks too much for one week, in my routine i have 2 strength training workout in a week, day 1 i perform olympic lifts with dumbbells (since its easier) day 2 its explosive strength/plyometrics, you cant be doing the same thing week in week out and making gains, you need to have back off weeks, or take it easier on some weeks.

some days i perform 4x3 reps leaving 2 reps out,

too much focus on max strength training can have a negative influence on speed thats what explosive strength is for, you need to balance max strength with other forms of strength training, too much work on max strength can also lead to burnout, physically and mentally.

and you must have great conditioning, you cannot replace conditioning with anything, conditioning is number 1, strength training is just a supplement,

you don't need to train with weights, resistance is resistance, wether its weights, bodyweights, resistance cables,

you can train max strength using bodyweight movements such one arm pushups/pull ups, handstand push ups etc you will get the same benefits as lifting weights.
my lifting wasn't bad form and I never maxed out, that's why it was odd but not surprising, since it was heavy weight training. Mainly I focus on conditioning now along with boxing. The weights did burn me out even though it was only twice a week. They never increased my power, and I'm not a puncher anyway. Now I just run a lot, do some sprints, swim, do a lot of boxing work and just mix in push ups, pull ups, crunches, etc.

Being 127 lbs, how does it help you?
Nwil is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #33
younghypnotiq
Belt holder
ESB Addict

bazooka what do you think o f this routine. im doing it now.
3x5min rounds of sprints
4ds jumprope
4rds shadow box
4rds heavy bag
i then lifted
tonight im gonna do some defensive drills. also when im having the perosn punch me where should he hit me?
younghypnotiq is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 03:38 PM   #34
Bazooka
Pimp C Wants 2 Be Me
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
like i said a fighter doesn't have to lift weights but there are benefits, high reps of dips and pull ups will work strength endurance which a fighter definatly needs but there are so many other aspects that he will miss out,

and no you are not the only one, you are doing what you were taught,

you dont like weight training fair enough, but i would advise you to checkout interval training.
in My six years at Wild card never once did Freddy Roach or Pepper Roach tell me to go hit the weights, not once, and its rare that you will see any fighter doing much lifting in there mark my words on that.
Bazooka is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 03:53 PM   #35
younghypnotiq
Belt holder
ESB Addict

bazooka wat did u think of my routine today?
Old 08-01-2007, 04:46 PM   #36
Nwil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

looks like he doesn't give a ****....
Nwil is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 04:47 PM   #37
younghypnotiq
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i no but i need someone to tell me how im doing.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:43 PM   #38
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
in My six years at Wild card never once did Freddy Roach or Pepper Roach tell me to go hit the weights, not once, and its rare that you will see any fighter doing much lifting in there mark my words on that.
pepper roach?? who's he???

like i said before you dont have to lift weights, but didn't roach hire ******e fortune as a strength and conditioning coach? and if i remember correctly ******e fortune was a journeyman boxer and a former powerlifter,

these days trainers dont have much to do with a fighters conditioning, thats why you see fighters with strength and conditioning coaches.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #39
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwil
my lifting wasn't bad form and I never maxed out, that's why it was odd but not surprising, since it was heavy weight training. Mainly I focus on conditioning now along with boxing. The weights did burn me out even though it was only twice a week. They never increased my power, and I'm not a puncher anyway. Now I just run a lot, do some sprints, swim, do a lot of boxing work and just mix in push ups, pull ups, crunches, etc.

Being 127 lbs, how does it help you?
as i said before although i am not a runner/sprinter i have noticed very good gains on my sprint times, which shows i have become more explosive, i am able to bully around my sparring partners now, i got the idea from holyfield vs tyson where the smaller man holyfield was pushing around tyson, i am able to load up my punches faster than ever before meaning i am able to exert force quicker.

you dont have to lift weights to work these strength qualities, there are bodyweight variations,

and remember work the core as a whole.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:53 PM   #40
Nwil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
as i said before although i am not a runner/sprinter i have noticed very good gains on my sprint times, which shows i have become more explosive, i am able to bully around my sparring partners now, i got the idea from holyfield vs tyson where the smaller man holyfield was pushing around tyson, i am able to load up my punches faster than ever before meaning i am able to exert force quicker.

you dont have to lift weights to work these strength qualities, there are bodyweight variations,

and remember work the core as a whole.
Has that leg explosiveness witnessed in sprints translated over into boxing? Did the increase acceleration time on your punching come from the 5 fast reps of 60-70% weight/plyos?
Nwil is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #41
younghypnotiq
Belt holder
ESB Addict

well from lifting i can hit a shit load harder than the people that dont lift. i also hit faster than most
Old 08-02-2007, 01:35 PM   #42
Bazooka
Pimp C Wants 2 Be Me
East Side VIP

Quote:
pepper roach?? who's he???

like i said before you dont have to lift weights, but didn't roach hire ******e fortune as a strength and conditioning coach?
Pepper Roach is Freddys brother who also fought but his career was cut short due to him ending up in the slammer, actually they both fought Bobby Chacon and Bobby said that had Pepper not gone to prison he would have done far better than Freddy.
Roach hired ******e as a strength and conditioning coach true, but that does not automaticly mean weight lifting, like I said you can go there any day of the week rarely will you see any of them in there do serious weight lifting.
Bazooka is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #43
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Pepper Roach is Freddys brother who also fought but his career was cut short due to him ending up in the slammer, actually they both fought Bobby Chacon and Bobby said that had Pepper not gone to prison he would have done far better than Freddy.
Roach hired ******e as a strength and conditioning coach true, but that does not automaticly mean weight lifting, like I said you can go there any day of the week rarely will you see any of them in there do serious weight lifting.
bazooka man your twisting my words, i am not saying weight lifting is a must i'm saying there are benefits, thats why nowadays fighters have seperate s&c coaches, back in the days a trainer used to do all.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #44
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwil
Has that leg explosiveness witnessed in sprints translated over into boxing? Did the increase acceleration time on your punching come from the 5 fast reps of 60-70% weight/plyos?
my combinations have become ALOT better from it, my sparring partners tell me my combinations hurt more than any one punch i throw, i am able to load up and fire shots quicker.

Quote:
Did the increase acceleration time on your punching come from the 5 fast reps of 60-70% weight/plyos?[/
there is no one answer for that, i have been doing plyometrics, max load weight training, explosive weight training, and punch out drills, i believe all those are useless if you dont work on punch drills such as tabata.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #45
Bazooka
Pimp C Wants 2 Be Me
East Side VIP

Quote:
bazooka man your twisting my words, i am not saying weight lifting is a must i'm saying there are benefits, thats why nowadays fighters have seperate s&c coaches, back in the days a trainer used to do all.
if any of the fighters I work with use weights its only for squats and bench press nothing more, the rest is pull ups and dips
Bazooka is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing