Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 07-31-2007, 11:38 PM   #1
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Miguel Cotto v Kostya Tszyu

Prime KT vs Cotto of today who wins? Keep in mind the two fighters who troubled KT were guys that came forwards and managed to push him back. But he also had great success against pressure fighters like Gonzalez and Chavez even though Chavez was well past his prime. I think that Cotto could negate the power of Tszyu by closing the distance and not giving him room to get off. Cotto is definitely the better man in close quarters, but KT would hold the upper hand at boxing distance. How would this fight play out? A war no doubt.
MSTR is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2007, 11:40 PM   #2
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611
Default Re: Miguel Cotto v Kostya Tszyu

Do you really want to ppl to answer or just listen to you spin how you think Cotto breaks KT down?
teke is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2007, 11:47 PM   #3
Dr Gonzo
Yo! Molesta La Breastas!
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

total war - but i think KT still gets the late KO. Cotto appears to get easily frustrated and KT would eventually where him down by throwing big combinations from the outside
Dr Gonzo is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2007, 11:50 PM   #4
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teke
Do you really want to ppl to answer or just listen to you spin how you think Cotto breaks KT down?
hahahaha. No I don't think that Cotto wins necessarily. I just wanted to see what people had to say, particularly Boppa.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2007, 11:50 PM   #5
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxing_banker
total war - but i think KT still gets the late KO. Cotto appears to get easily frustrated and KT would eventually where him down by throwing big combinations from the outside
Easily frustrated. How so?
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2007, 11:52 PM   #6
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

Kostya as an amatuer was a totally diff fighter to the professional one. I think KT wins this on accuracy of his hard straight punches. It wouldn't be easy but he would win. Without giving too much thought I would say by KO.
teke is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2007, 11:52 PM   #7
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Actually, I kind of guessed everyone here would pick Tszyu, so I thought it might be an interesting discussion, but you just pretty much killed it you prick hahaha.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2007, 11:55 PM   #8
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

Cotto is growing on me as a fighter. He reminds me of a young Vargas. Young, hungry and eager to step to the next level quickly to make a big name. Vargas was a good fighter, alot better than he is today.

Cotto will be a superstar.
teke is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2007, 11:56 PM   #9
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Kostya as an amatuer was a totally diff fighter to the professional one. I think KT wins this on accuracy of his hard straight punches. It wouldn't be easy but he would win. Without giving too much thought I would say by KO.
But he isn't fighting Kt as an amatuer he is fighting him as a pro. I agree that as an amatuer he was a very intelligent fighter. But KT's ego was his biggest downfall, and resulted in both of his losses. If he had fought smart against both these guys he would have won, but he chose to go to war. From the outside KT is surely the better boxer with more power. But inside Cotto is clearly the better man, with the tighter punches and better combinations. How would KT approach this fight knowing that he doesnt like to fight off the back foot?
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2007, 11:59 PM   #10
Dr Gonzo
Yo! Molesta La Breastas!
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR
Easily frustrated. How so?
i just think he gets a bit wild when he cant ko someone - in the late rounds against Judah he started to throw some stupid shots and seemed to be getting frustrated at not being able to put Zab away. If he tried to do that against KT he could leave himself open to the big straight shots right on the button; either way it would have been a great fight
Dr Gonzo is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2007, 11:59 PM   #11
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Cotto is growing on me as a fighter. He reminds me of a young Vargas. Young, hungry and eager to step to the next level quickly to make a big name. Vargas was a good fighter, alot better than he is today.

hahaha. Good to hear. Hopefully he doesn't get startched like Vargas when he faces the true elite though. ONly time will tell. I'll pretty drop this topic then. For the record I think at this point in time I would have to go with KT, based on his achievements. If he catches Cotto it would be goodnight on his average chin. And Cotto isn't as bad a style match up as Hatton was for KT IMO. Still would have been interesting. If Cotto beats Mosley and another top guy at welterweight, particularly a power puncher like Cintron then my opinion will probably change.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 12:01 AM   #12
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
But he isn't fighting Kt as an amatuer he is fighting him as a pro. I agree that as an amatuer he was a very intelligent fighter. But KT's ego was his biggest downfall, and resulted in both of his losses. If he had fought smart against both these guys he would have won, but he chose to go to war. From the outside KT is surely the better boxer with more power. But inside Cotto is clearly the better man, with the tighter punches and better combinations. How would KT approach this fight knowing that he doesnt like to fight off the back foot?
Yeah i was just saying that there were two diff KT styles, i prefered his amatuer style even though it was raw. He showed great handspeed, a bit more head movement and threw many more combinations.

Last edited by mokele; 04-07-2006 at 05:54 AM.
teke is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 12:01 AM   #13
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:

Your right that Vargas was a very good fighter, and very ferocious. Against both Trinidad and Oscar he came so close. Had a couple of rounds gone his way and not the other, particularly the first in the trinidad fight, he might still be on top today. I think both of these fights took a lot out of him.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 12:03 AM   #14
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
hahaha. Good to hear. Hopefully he doesn't get startched like Vargas when he faces the true elite though. ONly time will tell. I'll pretty drop this topic then. For the record I think at this point in time I would have to go with KT, based on his achievements. If he catches Cotto it would be goodnight on his average chin. And Cotto isn't as bad a style match up as Hatton was for KT IMO. Still would have been interesting. If Cotto beats Mosley and another top guy at welterweight, particularly a power puncher like Cintron then my opinion will probably change.
If he beats Mosley i will cry.

He has a good chance of beating Mosley but we must not forget just how good Mosley is even 10 yrs Cottos snr.
teke is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 12:05 AM   #15
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yeah i was just saying that there were two diff KT styles, i prefered his amatuer style even though it was raw. He showed great handspeed, a bit more head movement and threw many more combinations.
I prefered it as well, and I think it would have suited him better throughout his career. Early in his pro career he fought much more light footed as well. He had a very awkward style, and was a master at leaving openings and then making his opponent miss and pay. I think a lot of people miss all the great subtle things that he did in the ring. He was a great technician, IMO on the level of BHop, although their skills are very different.
MSTR is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum