Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-31-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
Irish_Southpaw6

vCash: 1000
Default Mountain biking and training

Do you think it is possible to avoid doing roadwork everyday if you do something intense like mountain biking to counter what you would be losing by not running. I'm thinking I could run one day and bike the next two then run again. What do you people think, should I continue running everyday or is running once then biking twice then running once okay?
Irish_Southpaw6 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202
Default Re: Mountain biking and training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Southpaw6
Do you think it is possible to avoid doing roadwork everyday if you do something intense like mountain biking to counter what you would be losing by not running. I'm thinking I could run one day and bike the next two then run again. What do you people think, should I continue running everyday or is running once then biking twice then running once okay?
I'd say yes. I bike a lot and haven't lost any boxing stamina due to not running (knee problem). Both are not optimal for boxing stamina anyway so I doubt it matters much.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
The_Hammer

Theoretically it's actually better, being as biking doesn't cause all of the knee problems that running does.

I wouldn't suggest mountain biking unless you are already very good at it though. If you're just taking it up, it's such a technical sport (log-hopping, tight turns, rock negotiation) that it's going to take quite a while for you to get sound enough on even the most basic mountain bike course to really start getting cardiovascular exercise. Early last summer I had a similar idea, and would mountain bike for around two hours a day. A noble gesture, but unfortunately I was a mediocre rider at best, so while I could get my heart really working on some of the longer uphill sections, I found myself using most of my energy trying not to injure myself instead of riding fast. It was, of course, better than nothing, but instead of increasing my aerobic capacity it pretty much just kept it the same.

Also, mountain biking is a high injury risk sport. Just about a week ago my father (an amazing biker, mountain and road, and all around athletic fiend) broke his hand when he clipped a tree. To a boxer, this would be a huge blow to training.

So unless you are good enough to get aerobic exercise from mountain biking and not get injured at the same time, I'd run instead. Of course, mountain biking is still alot of fun, so on days off or instead of easy road work, I'd say go for it.

Road biking, on the other hand, could easily be as good as running, if you were really pushing yourself.

Good luck!
The_Hammer is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 11:30 AM   #4
Irish_Southpaw6

I'd work my way up to the hard stuff first. Where I live we have like a 10 mile walking/biking trail that I could do at first to get the hang of it and I wouldn't have to worry about logs and things like that.
Irish_Southpaw6 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing