Old 10-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #46
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is Ali's Power overlooked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
Supporters of Ali's punching power are full of shit.

What are you all trying to prove? That Ali wasn't a complete little piss rat who couldn't dent a bean bag? Nobody's this thick, **** off.

Yes, he could knock a fighter out. Every boxer can, especially world class heavyweights. This is some stupid shit to be explaining.

And of course he could hit hard when he 'sat down' on his punches. Again, every boxer can.

Point is, he didn't. Let's take Ali for the fighter he was, shall we, and not what he could have been. Ali, for better or worse, was not a powerful puncher, or even above average.

By the way, 5/10 is average. 7/10 is not. And there is no way Ali was a 7/10 puncher.

Yeah, maybe he could have been.

But he wasn't.

Come to think of it, I would suggest that a lot of Ali fans have probably been looking at the tapes and thinking 'shit, he does actually throw some weak punches.' Now it's overcompensation. They're all examining the fights trying to pick out the best punches to prove he wasn't a complete faggot because in the back of their minds they sense he wasn't as perfect as they wished he was.

Me, I don't care. Ali was great in a multitude of facets, but he wasn't when it came punching technique and consistent applicable power.

Let this end.
i agree with all this...and I'd like to tie a point into this discussion...that if Ali was such a great puncher, then Joe Frazier indeed had a granite chin.
red cobra is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2011, 07:28 PM   #47
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13 View Post
Absolutely average. There were hundreds and hundreds of heavyweights in history who hit harder than Ali.
This is true too.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #48
guilalah
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Wouldn't call Ali a big puncher, but if an opponent gassed out on him --even an opponent with a good/great chin -- he could put it together for a KO or stoppage. To finish against Ali, stamina was probably a bigger factor than chin.
guilalah is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2011, 12:31 AM   #49
KINGOFTHE1ROUND
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 337

He was a big strong man and his shots were so accurate and quick...right to the chin!
KINGOFTHE1ROUND is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #50
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
i agree with all this...and I'd like to tie a point into this discussion...that if Ali was such a great puncher, then Joe Frazier indeed had a granite chin.
Well,Joe's chin WAS pretty solid. Only George Foreman could stop him,in his time in the ring.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #51
Grinder
Dude, don't call me Dude
ESB Senior Member

If you put full power into a shot you are more open for a counter. Clearly he put defense as a higher priority than koIng opponents.
Grinder is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #52
FastHands(beeb)
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
Supporters of Ali's punching power are full of shit.

What are you all trying to prove? That Ali wasn't a complete little piss rat who couldn't dent a bean bag? Nobody's this thick, **** off.

Yes, he could knock a fighter out. Every boxer can, especially world class heavyweights. This is some stupid shit to be explaining.

And of course he could hit hard when he 'sat down' on his punches. Again, every boxer can.

Point is, he didn't. Let's take Ali for the fighter he was, shall we, and not what he could have been. Ali, for better or worse, was not a powerful puncher, or even above average.

By the way, 5/10 is average. 7/10 is not. And there is no way Ali was a 7/10 puncher.

Yeah, maybe he could have been.

But he wasn't.

Come to think of it, I would suggest that a lot of Ali fans have probably been looking at the tapes and thinking 'shit, he does actually throw some weak punches.' Now it's overcompensation. They're all examining the fights trying to pick out the best punches to prove he wasn't a complete faggot because in the back of their minds they sense he wasn't as perfect as they wished he was.

Me, I don't care. Ali was great in a multitude of facets, but he wasn't when it came punching technique and consistent applicable power.

Let this end.
The above is a truth that too many find unpalatable. For example, all we ever hear these days is "Norton didn't like punchers"...but, if Ali was such a puncher, as some seem to be claiming, how did Norton go 39 rounds with him?

Revisionist nonsense, imo.
FastHands(beeb) is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #53
groove
Contender
ESB Senior Member

yeah really quite surprised about the shit frazier gets on here in regards to his chin. let's hear them talk that same shit about joe louis.
groove is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #54
FAT_TONEY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Let's just say he wasn't a big powerpuncher but not featherfisted either. He was a real HW with average power, and we all know that a real HW with average power can bang and hurt any man. Plus his punches were accurate.
FAT_TONEY is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #55
1899sharkey
Boxings golden age

Id give him a five. Foreman fell from exhaustion and some quick but not devastating punches.
1899sharkey is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #56
HMSTempleGarden
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2522

Ali also had issues with his hands.
HMSTempleGarden is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #57
Ted Spoon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Power can't help but be roped into effectiveness because power counts for nothing if it doesn't land. Academic stuff.

As such Ali was a decent puncher; when compelled to do so. His finishing abilities weren't half bad. Those uppercuts on Frazier in FOTC and the right that finished off Foreman were cracking blows that anyone would do well to suffer.

Again, the accuracy of them can't help but be roped into that cumbersome 'power' category.
Ted Spoon is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #58
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Question.

Is Ali's Power Overlooked ?

Yes

It is overlooked, because he was a stylish-boxer first and foremost.

If you go back and read all the boxing magazine articles from the early 60's, most of his opponents stated that his punches started to hurt after time during the fight.

Charlie Powell had stated, that the first punches from Cassius Clay were that of
an average punching heavyweight, but as the fight wore on, they started to hurt.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #59
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

He could definitely hit and cracked more granite chins than most fighters (Liston, Bonavena, Foreman).
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #60
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
He could definitely hit and cracked more granite chins than most fighters (Liston, Bonavena, Foreman).
McG,,,,,,

I don't think the Knock Outs over Foreman and Bonavena were a result of
Ali's power.

More of exhaustion on the opponents, and an accumulation of punches
absorbed.

The Liston fights ????
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum