Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-29-2008, 03:55 AM   #1
good right hand
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default jose luis lopez vs antonio margarito

i was watching lopez's fights with james page and ike quartey and this guy was a machine.

i would say that his chin is one of the toughest i have ever seen. page and quartey just unloaded on him and he looked completely unfazed.

he may not have deserved the draw against quartey but he had something going after he hurt quartey in the championship rounds.

he also was close to stopping page in at least 3 of rounds that they fought for a world title.

margarito is faster and a much better body puncher but lopez big tough guy that looks like a middleweight.

i think this would have been a great fight.
good right hand is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: jose luis lopez vs antonio margarito

Jose did like his "Amble" time in Between opening up, when he opened up he did look very good, but did not sustain it, i am sure he could of beaten Ike with a bit more sustained devil in his work, Antonio brings that Sustained effort, Initially Jose may get the better of the early Exchanges, but Antonio looks to make each exchange Protracted !

gradually i think Jose will not be able to stay with Antonio's pace, and will be Hitting Back more to stop from being overwhelmed then to Win,
this of course all sounds rather Familiar doesnt it, but Jose is very tough, Mentally and Physically, and will not Fold like Kermit, But for Me, Antonio, the stayer beats Jose the spoadic Sprinter, on Points in a Tough Fight, but For Antonio the Last 3rd may be easier the the initial 3rd, Antonio on Points.
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Lopez was one of the least active lower weight fghters I have ever seen.

Not going to be enough against Marg.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Lopez was a lazy fighter, but on his best night I don't think Margarito could stand in his hitting zone for 12 rounds and walk away the winner.

Lopez is a bigger hitter than Cotto and more durable by far. Cotto never set an incredible pace himself and he still found a way to be outboxing Margarito until he gassed.

I don't think Lopez will outbox Margarito, but he won't gas and he will land some inhumane punches that will hurt Margarito and force a corner or ref stoppage imo.

By the way, I think Lopez would knock Cotto out cold on his best night, probably within 6 or 7 rounds.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist
Lopez was a lazy fighter, but on his best night I don't think Margarito could stand in his hitting zone for 12 rounds and walk away the winner.

Lopez is a bigger hitter than Cotto and more durable by far. Cotto never set an incredible pace himself and he still found a way to be outboxing Margarito until he gassed.

I don't think Lopez will outbox Margarito, but he won't gas and he will land some inhumane punches that will hurt Margarito and force a corner or ref stoppage imo.

By the way, I think Lopez would knock Cotto out cold on his best night, probably within 6 or 7 rounds.
Just how much potential do you feel Lopez had, if he had applies himself?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
Matienza

I see this going down in similar vain to the Lujan fight, except without the gruesome ending of course.
Matienza is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Lopez could land the home run punch. But Antonio is far too busy for Lopez to deal with. Margarito would wear down Lopez for a mid-rounds stoppage.
la-califa is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

lopez had a great chin.tough to see him being knocked out.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla
lopez had a great chin.tough to see him being knocked out.
No, but the referee would most likely intervien with Lopez taking numerous blows, probably simular to the Cotto fight.
la-califa is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #10
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Just how much potential do you feel Lopez had, if he had applies himself?
Hard to say, but I think he would have been up there with welters like DLH and Tito and he would have been giving them all competitive fights, win lose or draw.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:22 PM   #11
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by good right hand
margarito is faster and a much better body puncher
I don't think that's true. Margarito was a more dedicated body puncher but he doesn't have better technique as a body puncher, and Margarito is noticably slower by hand than what Lopez was as far as I can tell.

By the way, just out of interest, how do people here think Margarito goes against Quartey?

Last edited by sweet_scientist; 09-29-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:33 PM   #12
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Lazy Lopez was indeed. He was already into heavy drugs when he fought Quartey.Maestrito's skill imo is very underrated.A heavy handed puncher with skill......I'd classify Maestrito as a better more cerebral version of Tony Ayala.Its a pity he did''nt take to the gym, and boxing seriously.Just my opinion, but if Lopez had done things the right way, I think he would have came out as the top fighter of the welterweight/juniormiddleweight class......Trinidad/DLH/Mosely.....and that includes Winky at 154 lbs.I think Lopez was strong, patient, and cerebral enough to have cracked Winky at 154 lbs.Anybody remember the smirk in Maestrito's face as he took care of business?Kinda like Dwight Qawi when he was at his best!
divac is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2008, 11:38 PM   #13
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
I don't think that's true. Margarito was a more dedicated body puncher but he doesn't have better technique as a body puncher, and Margarito is noticably slower by hand than what Lopez was as far as I can tell.

By the way, just out of interest, how do people here think Margarito goes against Quartey?
Quartey-Margarito is an interesting fight.Either Margarito just rolls over Quartey, or Quartey puts on a power jab clinic that keeps Margarito at bay until the late rounds.If Quartey had'nt gassed vs Maestrito and DLH, I'd be inclined to pick him over Margarito by clear UD.......but thats just not the case. Margarito imo catches up to a tiring Quartey and stops him late in the fight much like he did Cotto.
divac is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2008, 11:59 PM   #14
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac
Quartey-Margarito is an interesting fight.Either Margarito just rolls over Quartey, or Quartey puts on a power jab clinic that keeps Margarito at bay until the late rounds.If Quartey had'nt gassed vs Maestrito and DLH, I'd be inclined to pick him over Margarito by clear UD.......but thats just not the case. Margarito imo catches up to a tiring Quartey and stops him late in the fight much like he did Cotto.
No doubt Margarito would do better the longer the fight goes, but for me, the question is does Margarito even take the fight to the later rounds?

If Cotto was slapping him around round after round, what would the quicker, harder punching and much physically stronger Quartey do? I think Quartey would dispose of him in about 6 rounds. If Margarito does survive, and is still willing to move through Ike's thunder to take him into the later rounds where he is prone to gas, then by all means, Margarito will be in control.

As it stands, I don't think Margarito is near skilful enough to get the fight to that stage.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:01 AM   #15
good right hand
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
you may have called me on the hand speed, lopez could had the better hand speed.

but when i was watching lopez vs page, lopez threw very few body punches. i cant be a judge of good technique but we certainly agree that margarito is a dedicated puncher.
good right hand is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum