Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-18-2012, 04:20 AM   #2536
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665
Default Re: Classic Forum -Talk About Anything (Mods please dont move)

Remember when I said I was just finally watching Martinez/Chavez? Look at the time stamp. I've made it two more rounds. My computer overheated and shut off twice during that time. That's because it's a "special" computer. Most of those two rounds the audio was playing over a frozen video, also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Yeah, I really like Sergio, but I'd take Floyd to beat him now at 160.

His right hand would be too accurate and he'd beat Martinez on points I imagine. Intriguing fight for sure though.
I have to slightly favour Floyd there, also, but hesitantly. I'd consider him physically pretty vulnerable, even though technically far superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
Yeah, he's not ATG and he's running extremely short on time but he's got a chance to gain entry into a few HOF museums depending on what he does in the next couple of years. This knee surgery ordeal doesn't look good, especially for a fighter that relies heavily on his athletic gifts - entertainment factor, again - to be successful. Looks like he's chasing the Cottos, Canelos and Floyd (Riiiiiight) and I can't blame him although I'd love to see him unify 160.

His story really could get him into the HOF pretty easily, neat as it is, which is something, considering he stepped out of the fokin' Twilight Zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
There are few great fighters nowadays but then there were always few active great fighters throughout history (think 3 to absolutly max 10). Today it really just is Pac, Manny, Wlad and than borderline cases like Marquez. Potential ones like Donaire and Ward. I don´t think Martinez is will achieve greatness but he very well might end up in the HoF, same for Dawson I think. Not counting still active but very much past it greats like Hopkins, Holyfield, Jones and so on.
Sure it was better in the 90s but look at the inbetween time then and now, you had borderline guys like Mosley, MAB, Morales half-active slightly past it greats like DLH and upcoming ones like Pac and Wlad. And then you had Jones, Hopkins and a bit behind Floyd making his mark. And some past it guys like Holyfield trying to hold on. Was that better?

I think if you make a list of the Top5 fighters of each "era" today´s will fit right in with the average. It is not the best era ever but it doesn´t need to hide itself IMO.
B...You think Volo is a definite great and Marquez is only borderline? I pretty much have that reversed. Here's to diversity of opinion.

Edit: And apologies to Iron. That picture was too good, mate.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2012, 04:40 AM   #2537
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Some lovely posts here but 'Frank, step off punk
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 AM   #2538
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
His story really could get him into the HOF pretty easily, neat as it is, which is something, considering he stepped out of the fokin' Twilight Zone.
Yeah, it really is one of the coolest out there in a while. Serg has/had all the attributes and intangibles to be a bonafide superstar in the sport. Maybe I'm short selling how much time he's got left on the clock but as much hype as these bigger name fights would make and be more lucrative for him, the boxing fan in me would really like to see him take out a few of the current top rated at 160 and round out a respectable title reign in my second favorite division of all-time (historically). There's little doubt he'd find his way in.

Quote:
Edit: And apologies to Iron. That picture was too good, mate.

It's hysterical. I owe you for the WAR hats on Jordan n Olajuwon.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2012, 04:47 AM   #2539
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

Okay, so, I got to redo four-six. Everything I read about this fight made it seem like Chavez blatantly gave away the fight until he decided to come on strong in the twelfth. What the **** were people watching? This kid's trying, and he is landing some perfectly decent leather. He's not winning the rounds, but this is far from a no-show performance through the first half. He's still getting to dig on the body consistently. He's got very good instincts for that. Martinez is just holding too many advantages over him, in speed, mobility, skill. But, Junior's not close to laying down here. And I think I can see where Martinez hurt his hand, favouring at least in the start of the fifth.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:03 AM   #2540
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Yup, it was reportedly the 4th round when the injury occurred.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #2541
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

Quote:
Okay, so, I got to redo four-six. Everything I read about this fight made it seem like Chavez blatantly gave away the fight until he decided to come on strong in the twelfth. What the **** were people watching? This kid's trying, and he is landing some perfectly decent leather. He's not winning the rounds, but this is far from a no-show performance through the first half. He's still getting to dig on the body consistently. He's got very good instincts for that. Martinez is just holding too many advantages over him, in speed, mobility, skill. But, Junior's not close to laying down here. And I think I can see where Martinez hurt his hand, favouring at least in the start of the fifth.

I give up. I got through the seventh. The computer is not cooperating with anything else.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #2542
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
So you do overrate Floyd after all
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #2543
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0

Quote:

His right hand would be too accurate and he'd beat Martinez on points I imagine. Intriguing fight for sure though.
Quote:
Quote:

I have to slightly favour Floyd there, also, but hesitantly. I'd consider him physically pretty vulnerable, even though technically far superior.
Y does Floyd think otherwise I will never know
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #2544
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester1583 View Post
So you do overrate Floyd after all
I think he can do better than Barker and I think he's on gear and I think he looked bigger than Cotto and that there is no blueprint and that if his legs haven't gone totally stiff that he can do a Baldomir and that as they are a similar age Floyd won't be going in with someone much fresher and Sergio won't have an overwhelming speed advantage and that Sergio will agree to 155 but that it wouldn't make much difference and that it would be fun and cool and stuff.

Floyd takes a few rounds to work his man out. You could easily say Sergio would cause him way more grief than Zab did. This would be such an intriguing matchup I think. I'd favour Floyd to do it and cement himself as one of the true greats once and for all. I tend not to get my way in life
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #2545
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

Quote:
I think he can do better than Barker and I think he's on gear and I think he looked bigger than Cotto and that there is no blueprint and that if his legs haven't gone totally stiff that he can do a Baldomir and that as they are a similar age Floyd won't be going in with someone much fresher and Sergio won't have an overwhelming speed advantage and that Sergio will agree to 155 but that it wouldn't make much difference and that it would be fun and cool and stuff.

Floyd takes a few rounds to work his man out. You could easily say Sergio would cause him way more grief than Zab did. This would be such an intriguing matchup I think. I'd favour Floyd to do it and cement himself as one of the true greats once and for all. I tend not to get my way in life
It really shouldn't. He's always said he's a JMW, and despite that they do lie for certain opportunities, understandably, I've been paying close attention to Martinez fight-night weigh-ins, and he's barely coming in more than he did for Cintron at 154, most of the time. Canelo and Martinez come in about the same also.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #2546
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Canelo came in 168 for Cintron IIRC.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN I THINK THEY SHOULD FIGHT AS JUNIOR MIDDLEWEIGHTS
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #2547
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

No, of course most want the most historically important guy to go up, myself included, but if they fought at JMW, it's still a big one, in my opinion-Floyd and Sergio. I don't think it would happen there either though.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #2548
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
I'd favour Floyd to do it and cement himself as one of the true greats once and for all.
You are a big optimist, Flea, aren't you?
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #2549
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Yeah, I doubt it'd happen. But I'd love it. If Floyd had Napoles' balls...
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #2550
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yeah, I doubt it'd happen. But I'd love it. If Floyd had Napoles' balls...
...he's...been to a horrific auction in the underground black market of Berlin?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum