Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #646
Axl_Nose
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Classic Forum -Talk About Anything (Mods please dont move)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
It was a good film up until that point. The last 20 minutes or so made it a great film. Depressing doesn't always mean bad. IMO, the movies that can invoke the strongest emotions are the best ones, regardless of genre. Which is the reason you'll see movies like Leaving Las Vegas, The Deer Hunter, Eternal Sunshine, Vanilla Sky, Million Dollar Baby, etc among my favorites.

Deer Hunter is an all time Classic like Apocalypse Now, Goodfellas and Taxi Driver .. I also liked Vanilla Sky too, i dont usually like Cruise but there was a weirdness about it that i liked, liked the original too ..

Howabout Marathon Man and 3 Days of the Condor ?? Classic Paranoia films involving renegade branches of government agencies . I love them films. The Parallax View with ****** Beatty is another great film
Axl_Nose is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2009, 07:03 PM   #647
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl_Nose View Post
I cannot stand Unforgiven, way too schmaltzy like a lot of Eastwood's later films. Million Dollar Baby, Iwo Jima, Flags of our Fathers, and Gran Torino is exactly the same .. This kind of stuff plays well in America but everywere else in the world says 'That is soooo schmaltzy and soooooo American' ..
The Outlaw Josey Wales is my favourite western and i think hes class in the Leone and Dirty Harrys ....

Tom Hank's films are total shit .. This guy always plays a guy who you feel sorry for, whether its Forrest Gump, or a dude who gets stranded on a desert island, or a guy who's wife has died, or a guy that has AIDS .. His films are all designed for audiences to feel sorry for his character. When is this guy going to play a serial killer or a vampire because Hanks is getting seriously predictable ..
I'm not a big Hanks fan, but I liked him in Road To Perdition. I have to say I know what you mean about Eastwood, he goes for the jugular a bit, I see it. Even Gran Torino, which I basically liked, the last scene (I won't spoil it for others), is over the top. Anyway, all of America has a disease now, I'm sad to say, evident not just in movies, but everywhere. It's all about the bread. I remember when I was a kid, nobody in Hollywood gave two shits what I or anyone else my age thought. Then, maybe over the past 20 years or so, it became so competitive that to not make a mint, in any business, would put you in jeopardy, at risk for extinction. It came down to two choices; sell out and survive or stick to your principles and very possibly die a slow death. "Profit" became not, an important thing but the only thing, so they started appealing to the Lowest Common Denominator; if we can hit the not-so-bright majority right where they live, we'll make a killing. Who gives a shit what a discerning audience might think? The dollars or a mental midget spend just as well as those of a college professor.
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #648
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Deer Hunter is an all time Classic like Apocalypse Now, Goodfellas and Taxi Driver .. I also liked Vanilla Sky too, i dont usually like Cruise but there was a weirdness about it that i liked, liked the original too ..

Howabout Marathon Man and 3 Days of the Condor ?? Classic Paranoia films involving renegade branches of government agencies . I love them films. The Parallax View with ****** Beatty is another great film
Liked these 3, but Three Days of the Condor is one of my all time favorites. Read the book, "Six Days.... Condor," a big disappointment. For those that don't know, Redford comes back to his office of CIA researchers on the Upper West Side to find that everyone in the office, while he was out getting lunch has been killed. He spends the rest of the movie trying to find out who and why and also to not get taken out himself...
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #649
Axl_Nose
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinxkid View Post
I'm not a big Hanks fan, but I liked him in Road To Perdition. I have to say I know what you mean about Eastwood, he goes for the jugular a bit, I see it. Even Gran Torino, which I basically liked, the last scene (I won't spoil it for others), is over the top. Anyway, all of America has a disease now, I'm sad to say, evident not just in movies, but everywhere. It's all about the bread. I remember when I was a kid, nobody in Hollywood gave two shits what I or anyone else my age thought. Then, maybe over the past 20 years or so, it became so competitive that to not make a mint, in any business, would put you in jeopardy, at risk for extinction. It came down to two choices; sell out and survive or stick to your principles and very possibly die a slow death. "Profit" became not, an important thing but the only thing, so they started appealing to the Lowest Common Denominator; if we can hit the not-so-bright majority right where they live, we'll make a killing. Who gives a shit what a discerning audience might think? The dollars or a mental midget spend just as well as those of a college professor.
Thats a great post. The movie industry is really dire at the moment. Theres no great stories anymore. Its either Pixar cartoons or films which have endless eplosions and no thread of a storyline.
Theres hardly any adult films made anymore, in the UK they are all classified as PG, 12 or 15, wereas most of the classic films of the 70s which is my favourite era were classified as 18 .... I realise theres far more money to be made in the kids and teen markets but it would be nice if the occasional adult film was made ..
All the horror films now cater for 12 year olds, how is it possible to make a decent horror film if your target audience is still going to school.
Re-makes piss me off too, cheap and easy money makers that are always shit compared to the originals
I've heard remakes are planned for Butch Cassidy and the Sun Dance Kid (starring Travolta and Cruise. Oh man why is that happening), The Thing and Escape From New York is being remade .. Whats the point ? The only remake i kinda liked was Cape Fear but i still way prefer the Robert Mitchum version, Mitchum was a bad man in that ....
Axl_Nose is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #650
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Thats a great post. The movie industry is really dire at the moment. Theres no great stories anymore. Its either Pixar cartoons or films which have endless eplosions and no thread of a storyline.
Theres hardly any adult films made anymore, in the UK they are all classified as PG, 12 or 15, wereas most of the classic films of the 70s which is my favourite era were classified as 18 .... I realise theres far more money to be made in the kids and teen markets but it would be nice if the occasional adult film was made ..
All the horror films now cater for 12 year olds, how is it possible to make a decent horror film if your target audience is still going to school.
Re-makes piss me off too, cheap and easy money makers that are always shit compared to the originals
I've heard remakes are planned for Butch Cassidy and the Sun Dance Kid (starring Travolta and Cruise. Oh man why is that happening), The Thing and Escape From New York is being remade .. Whats the point ? The only remake i kinda liked was Cape Fear but i still way prefer the Robert Mitchum version, Mitchum was a bad man in that ....
I'm with you on the 70's, my favorite decade for at least American movies. Not just movies either right? How 'bout the music industry? Why should we sit around and wait for another Lennon or Dylan or Frank Sinatra when we got bills to pay right now? Who knows how long it might take? So, why would we hold out for the next Messiah? Even at that he or she will need some nurturing, will require some patience while our creditors are banging on the door. So you end up with the Jonas Brothers and Britney Spears and rap, (I know some of it is good), but more and more that's only about the bottom line, too, and what happens? The quality of life for all of us goes down in the meantime. We don't ask for much, do we? Just a little bit of entertainment, just something that's affirming and maybe, God forbid!!! leaves us a little better off than we were when we sat down. You know, I gotta wonder how much of this is the fault of Wall Street? These are all public co's we're talking about, stocks where if they fluctate a point or two earn or lose millions.
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2009, 06:45 AM   #651
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
has noone seen Scum

i aint shutting up till some one has
Did you like the potting shed scene?

"Where's your tool? "
"Up your arse".
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2009, 06:48 AM   #652
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh View Post
Well, American Cinema fell halfway down the toilet quite a while a go for me and I don't like remakes anyway- and think John Travolta is super-crap, especially trying to fill the awesome Robert Shaw's hobnailed boots. Washington won't likely be as good in the role of the cop either, as he lacks Matthau's brilliant dry humour. And the orginal has such a perfect, funny ending, which will probably be spoilt by a stupid shoot-out atop of an old building.

* That's if I have the roles correct.
Robert Shaw was terrific,died way too young ,one of my favourites.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #653
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Shit i watched Mississipi Burning last night. Speechless.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2009, 06:50 AM   #654
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

And yeas i've seen scum, did you all know there is basically an American version of that film (ithink, been a while) called Bad Boys with Sean Penn in it.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2009, 06:56 AM   #655
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I've heard remakes are planned for Butch Cassidy and the Sun Dance Kid (starring Travolta and Cruise. Oh man why is that happening)

I imagine it'll be called Butch & Sundance Go To Brokeback Mountain if those two are in it.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #656
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
And yeas i've seen scum, did you all know there is basically an American version of that film (ithink, been a while) called Bad Boys with Sean Penn in it.
Dont watch much modern stuff,but seen.
Slumdog Millionaire good
The Reader very Good
Gran Torino Good
Valkyrie ok .Cruise is miscast ,but I suppose they needed him to make it.
Bought recently
The Boy in Striped Pajamas
New Crowe one ,forget its name .
I want to see the Streep/ Hoffamn film think its called Known.
ps best western probably The Searchers.
Great Directors I missed earlier.
Leone, Cimino, Powell and Pressburger.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2009, 06:59 AM   #657
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
The Parallax View with ****** Beatty is another great film

Oh yes. His best in my opinion. Alan J Pakula always made good 'paranoia films.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2009, 07:00 AM   #658
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

scum is quality, as is The Firm with gary Oldman
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2009, 07:02 AM   #659
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Dont watch much modern stuff,but seen.
Slumdog Millionaire good
The Reader very Good
Gran Torino Good
Valkyrie ok .Cruise is miscast ,but I suppose they needed him to make it.
Bought recently
The Boy in Striped Pajamas
New Crowe one ,forget its name .
I want to see the Streep/ Hoffamn film think its called Known.
ps best western probably The Searchers.
Great Directors I missed earlier.
Leone, Cimino, Powell and Pressburger.
I haven't seen much of them myself mate. I need to see SlumDog, badly. All i know is that it's apparently good, nothing else! The film i mentioned with Penn though must be about 20 years old i'd say.

You seen Mississipi Burning?
teeto is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2009, 07:05 AM   #660
curly
Fastest hands in the West
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 660

Ray Winston from scum apparently had a really good amateur record, 85-5 I think
curly is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum