Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-13-2009, 10:57 PM   #721
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Classic Forum -Talk About Anything (Mods please dont move)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
I'd rate it as one of the top films of the decade though.

I saw Memento for the first time 2 days ago, and with Dark Knight, Batman Begins, and Insomnia, Nolan's become my favorite director to come along in a while. The Prestige is another one I have to see.
The Prestige was the best of the lot, IMO. Memento was a great flick on first watch as well. A lot of his movies are like that though, aren't they?
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #722
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweet_Scientist
Fair enough, films sometimes speak to us and sometimes they don't. I sort of read it straight up as a study of megalomania, with Plainview using Oil to conquer and control the world, and Eli using religion to do so. I did question after the film was over whether I really understood it and perhaps there is a lot more to it than struck me.
I did as well, so I've watched it 3 more times since it came out. This film in particular can be interpreted in so many ways IMO, which is one of the things I like about it.

Quote:

I had a mate who wanted to kill me for making him watch Requiem for a Dream. He saw it as kind of gratuitous but it struck him very viscerally at the same time.
Sounds fun.

Not to compare the two films or how they depict addiction, but The Panic in Needle Park is another film I want to see, if only to watch Pacino before he became famous. Have you seen it?
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2009, 11:04 PM   #723
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweet Pea
The Prestige was the best of the lot, IMO. Memento was a great flick on first watch as well. A lot of his movies are like that though, aren't they?
Yeah, I loved The Dark Knight the first time I saw it, but it has become less and less impressive with repeated viewings, though I still like it.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:10 PM   #724
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I did as well, so I've watched it 3 more times since it came out. This film in particular can be interpreted in so many ways IMO, which is one of the things I like about it.
Wow, 4 times you've seen it? Nice.

Quote:
Sounds fun.

Not to compare the two films or how they depict addiction, but The Panic in Needle Park is another film I want to see, if only to watch Pacino before he became famous. Have you seen it?
I've been meaning to see it for a while now Cob, but I haven't got around to it yet. I've heard others praise it though.

For some reason, films dealing with drugs or druggies hardly ever disappoint. I recently re-watched the film 'Hurly Burly' with Sean Penn and Kevin Spacey and really liked. It's not strictly a drug film, more a scattered philosophical meditation on the chaos of life, but Sean Penn does more coke in it than anyone I've seen on film, lol. Check it out if you haven't seen it.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2009, 11:15 PM   #725
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Wow, 4 times you've seen it? Nice.
It's probably a bit strange that I would sit through the movie 4 times, but I did. I got more from each viewing though, which is why I would put it above something like No Country for Old Men, which I saw and liked, and felt I understood it perfectly, and have since only seen some parts here and there.

Quote:
I've been meaning to see it for a while now Cob, but I haven't got around to it yet. I've heard others praise it though.

For some reason, films dealing with drugs or druggies hardly ever disappoint. I recently re-watched the film 'Hurly Burly' with Sean Penn and Kevin Spacey and really liked. It's not strictly a drug film, more a scattered philosophical meditation on the chaos of life, but Sean Penn does more coke in it than anyone I've seen on film, lol. Check it out if you haven't seen it.
Not that I've looked hard, but it's been tough to find for me. And no, I haven't seen a bad drug film yet. Hurly Burly is yet another I'll look for.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:38 PM   #726
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
It's probably a bit strange that I would sit through the movie 4 times, but I did. I got more from each viewing though, which is why I would put it above something like No Country for Old Men, which I saw and liked, and felt I understood it perfectly, and have since only seen some parts here and there.
I'm sure I'll will give it a re-watch one of these days. Some films grow on you over time and this may be one of them for me.

When I first saw Taxi Driver I thought it was terrible. Now I count it as one the best films I've ever seen. Same with 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Quote:
Not that I've looked hard, but it's been tough to find for me. And no, I haven't seen a bad drug film yet. Hurly Burly is yet another I'll look for.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:49 PM   #727
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally posted Sweet_Scientist
I'm sure I'll will give it a re-watch one of these days. Some films grow on you over time and this may be one of them for me.

When I first saw Taxi Driver I thought it was terrible. Now I count it was on the best films I've ever seen. Same with 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Overall, I think it's very similar to those two, though not really as good as either. Space Odyssey was the film that came to mind the most while watching There Will be Blood. Different concepts, different situations, but they felt the same to me.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:58 PM   #728
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Overall, I think it's very similar to those two, though not really as good as either. Space Odyssey was the film that came to mind the most while watching There Will be Blood. Different concepts, different situations, but they felt the same to me.
I know what you mean. There was the vastness of scene, the long sequences of silence and often the strong focus amidst a minimalist background. Both are quire cerebral.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:17 AM   #729
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Quote:
I know what you mean. There was the vastness of scene, the long sequences of silence and often the strong focus amidst a minimalist background.
Yeah. Both are amazingly crafted films, with similar elements to them.

The scene in There Will be Blood where the tower catches on fire and his son is blown off and deafened was stunning to watch, just great filmmaking.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:21 AM   #730
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

yes Pea saw Dylan live and a massive fan....fave three albums highway 61, bringing it all back home and blone on blonde
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2009, 04:34 AM   #731
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:

I thought both were awfully boring. I see the symbolism, concepts, etc, that they're trying to show, but i just can't be bothered to watch them. At least TWBB had some character development, unlike 2001.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2009, 05:53 AM   #732
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinxkid View Post
Here's one for the Liverpudlians, or is it, "Scousers"?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Haha, thanks Chinx.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #733
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
try spotify.com its free music, any music

what massive La's?

i listen to anything what kinda stuff is it you like
no I'm a massive fan of The La's, the scouse legends.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2009, 08:06 AM   #734
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Good shout for some less-regarded Beatles there.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #735
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh View Post
Good shout for some less-regarded Beatles there.
Should i post the song of the city now? You know, just to be hospitable (in a cyberspace sense) to those who are showing so much appreciation and intererest in our heritage.

Hahahaha.
teeto is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum