Old 08-01-2007, 11:23 PM   #46
Leeroy
Do it Do it
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rewatched Calzaghe-Lacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock0052
I always thought Lacy got far too much hate for the Calzaghe fight. I think 98% of it is because the fans who picked him to KO Calzaghe early were so embarrassed at the outcome, it was easier to turn coat on Lacy than to just say that Calzaghe fought the perfect fight. Lacy showed a ton of toughness- I know Joe's power isn't what it was, but Lacy was cut over both eyes and a swollen mess by the end of it. The way everyone treated him like garbage afterwards was bullshit.

I give him props for going 12, even if his trainer should've pulled him out sooner. I hope Jeff can come back healthy and make some noise in the division.
Yes. I remember watching the fight on Showtime,and then comming to this forum about an hour afterwords;2 pages filled with Calzaghe praise and whatnot - 95% of the hardcore Lacy supporters were no where to be seen - half of them stayed away or reregistered under a new name I imagine.

The vast majority of the folks on this board were saying months before the fight how Calzaghe was finally going to be shutup,Lacy was going to Ko him,bla bla bla....

It was one of the best crow I've ever witnessed in boxing.
Leeroy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2007, 11:24 PM   #47
Leeroy
Do it Do it
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Italarican
I just put the dvd in. Jimmy Lennon is about to announce the fighters.

I'm downloading as we speak on DivX - I can play the fight in my memory as many times as I've seen it,but it's much better in real life....
Leeroy is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 11:42 PM   #48
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroy
It was one of the best crow I've ever witnessed in boxing.
You ain't kidding man- it's just a shame they couldn't stomach the heaping bowl of it without burying Lacy. I hope Jeff's family wasn't reading the boards after that fight ...talk about insult to injury.

I think people turned on him faster than they did on Mike Vick, and all Lacy did was lose a fight.
Rock0052 is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2007, 11:53 PM   #49
Leeroy
Do it Do it
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock0052
You ain't kidding man- it's just a shame they couldn't stomach the heaping bowl of it without burying Lacy. I hope Jeff's family wasn't reading the boards after that fight ...talk about insult to injury.

I think people turned on him faster than they did on Mike Vick, and all Lacy did was lose a fight.
Yes. you're not kidding - listen;I've seen loads of Calzaghe fights spanning back about 7 years,and knew his ability.....

The Jeff Lacy supporters were talking so much shit before the fight,they had me convinced Lacy was going to beat Joe....

After the first 2 rounds I was like "What the **** is happening.Calzaghe is owning this guy."

But then I remembered we're talking about an amazing boxer,who was never OVERhyped,but it was just....LACY was so good(from the mouth of his supporters).....It's amazing how quick everyone turned against Lacy....

Which proves,in the end,that they were not Lacy fans - it's just that they wanted to see Calzaghe lose THAT bad.
Leeroy is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 12:08 AM   #50
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroy
Which proves,in the end,that they were not Lacy fans - it's just that they wanted to see Calzaghe lose THAT bad.
Bingo. What's ironic is that through all of the backlash, the fight actually made me a Lacy fan because of him showing the heart in lasting all 12. I give credit to anyone that can take 1000 punches (which seemed like a million that night to me...it was like Joe had magnets in his gloves and Lacy had a metal plate in his head) and hang in there like that.

While Lacy was overhyped by bandwagon fans, there's no way he was as bad a fighter as Joe made him look that night. That was just a perfect storm and Calzaghe putting on a legendary performance.
Rock0052 is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 03:51 AM   #51
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
i knew it was a joke fool...but it was a stupid joke and i wanted to address you on it...alright how about i joke when Taylor destroys Pavlik..."damn, Taylor beat Pavlik like he wanted revenge on white boys for the slave days"...i'm just joking tho, so don't take it too serious...
If you said that then I would find it funny and thus I wouldn't be a moron.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 03:52 AM   #52
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Every now and again it is just the sort of fight you need to watch to remember what REALLY went down.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:04 AM   #53
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

I wouldn't mind someone doing an unofficial punchcount. Joe has been touting the 'landed over 1000 punches' line ever since that fight, which I personally find extremely difficult to believe. An average of 83 punches landed per round?
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 06:07 AM   #54
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD
I wouldn't mind someone doing an unofficial punchcount. Joe has been touting the 'landed over 1000 punches' line ever since that fight, which I personally find extremely difficult to believe. An average of 83 punches landed per round?
1006, but the Americans have denied the existance of the punch stats ever since -fullstop-
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 03:04 PM   #55
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

I still need to count the shots, 1006 is hard to believe. That more than doubles the previous record. How many did he throw - 1200 to 1500?!
Old 08-02-2007, 03:06 PM   #56
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

There is nothing to watch there in my opinion, from the opening bell it was 100% Calzaghe till the end. He nearly knocked Lacy out in round 7 as well.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #57
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar
There is nothing to watch there in my opinion, from the opening bell it was 100% Calzaghe till the end. He nearly knocked Lacy out in round 7 as well.
I love that bit. Watching LAcy survive that horrible moment was scintillating. Lacy going another 5 rounds and then being thrown around in the 11th and 12th was awe inspiring. COURAGE COURAGE COURAGE!
Old 08-02-2007, 04:20 PM   #58
Caper
How about a fair shake?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe
1006, but the Americans have denied the existance of the punch stats ever since -fullstop-
Your so irritating.... do people actually pay attention to you

I mean I think Joe Cal is a great fighter and has accomplished a lot in his career I don't rate him much after that because of lack of opposition, the division he has fought in has lacked real ATG comp in their prime. But I respect guys like Amsterdam because he's objective and fair.....

Now if your just dicking around then shit I'm just being sensitive but if your obsession with Joe is as disturbing as your post are then my friend you should pursue a lifetime of bliss by offering Joe your hand in marriage.
Caper is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #59
CASH_718
"You ****ed Healy?"
East Side Guru

vCash: 1644

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
Same thing could be said about Corrales just after the Floyd fight.

Undefeated IBF champ with some good wins, then he got dominated and had a long lay off. Remind you of anyone?

Before you know it, he is back, kicking arse, in the P4P list, two weight world champ, in one of the best fights ever and then deemed by many a great fighter!
Well Corrales was about 23 when he lost to Mayweather. Lacy was 28.

Corrales had time on his side.
CASH_718 is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #60
CASH_718
"You ****ed Healy?"
East Side Guru

vCash: 1644

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe
Showtime doesn't have punch stats jagoff.
CASH_718 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum