Old 08-02-2007, 07:37 PM   #61
Fab2333
Needs to Get It 2Gether
ESB Addict

vCash: 623
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe vs. James Toney prime/prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
Toney's counterpunching would be too much for Calzaghe's slaps...Toney TKO 10...
Fab2333 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #62
digiram
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smazz20
Why do people get so worked up about fictional matches? I can understand getting worked up over a POTENTIAL match up but some of you seem to be losing the head with each other over stuff like this and at the end of it all, NOE OF US WILL EVER KNOW!!

Boxing's great isn't it.

Gotta agree with you. After all of this back n forth hypothetical ****. It all boils down to nothing.

Boxing's great.
digiram is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #63
CASH_718
"You ****ed Healy?"
East Side Guru

vCash: 1644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
He has quickness and great footwork though and would pop in and out, and it's hard to counter 6 or 7 punches at one time.
Toney isn't Jeff Lacy or Byron Mitchell, Calzaghe isn't going to hit him at will like he did those guys.
CASH_718 is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #64
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Toney's style is suited perfectly for Calzaghe
I agree with this. That said, Toney is sneaky, so he could "Nunn" or "Prince Charles" Calzaghe. At 168 or 175 Toney could hammer people.

While Joe's reflexes and speed are up there with RJJ's, I don't think he would be on his bike like RJJ; that's not how Joe seems to fight, which could hurt him in this matchup, because you KNOW he's not stopping Toney.
paulfv is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 07:45 PM   #65
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASH_718
Toney isn't Jeff Lacy or Byron Mitchell,

Ha ha! No, he sure isn't.

And that made me think of what a matchup between Toney and Lacy would look like.

Toney would be in full sh*t-talking mode, just toying with Lacy until JT decided to lower the boom. That would be like some Trinidad-Reid stuff. I would pay money to see that fight, or I would have.
paulfv is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 07:55 PM   #66
Fab2333
Needs to Get It 2Gether
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfv

Joe's reflexes and speed are up there with RJJ's,
I dont think so, RJ extends his arms when he punches ad had that kind of speed and power behind his punched. Joe Calzaghe hands are no way near as fast as RJ. And plus he dont got no power behind them, he slaps people to death. I think he throws a lot of pitty apt punches, RJ punches came with power. And the speed and especialy reflexes, Calzaghe dont got that im sorry
Fab2333 is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 08:23 PM   #67
BlueApollo
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Off topic, but damn did James brutalize people.
BlueApollo is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #68
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Joe's reflexes (his brain responding to stimuli) are up there with Roy's but Roy has more explosive speed right throughout his body -fullstop-
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 08:33 PM   #69
Jinx
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASH_718
Toney isn't Jeff Lacy or Byron Mitchell, Calzaghe isn't going to hit him at will like he did those guys.
hell Mitchell damn near had Calzaghe KTFO... that was a bull**** stoppage like many of Calzaghe's fights...Calzaghe lands a few slaps, Mitchell trips over his own feet, and the ref quickly jumps in...and this happened seconds after Mitchell was blasting Calzaghe...no way Calzaghe lasts the distance against Toney, who was just as strong as Mitchell at 168, with more skill and chin...
Jinx is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 08:37 PM   #70
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

I guess I pick Toney. I think they're earily similair in terms of quality, but I suppose Toney has proven it a bit more.

I voted for Toney UD, but I wouldn't be placing any money.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 08:37 PM   #71
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
hell Mitchell damn near had Calzaghe KTFO... that was a bull**** stoppage like many of Calzaghe's fights...Calzaghe lands a few slaps, Mitchell trips over his own feet, and the ref quickly jumps in...and this happened seconds after Mitchell was blasting Calzaghe...no way Calzaghe lasts the distance against Toney, who was just as strong as Mitchell at 168, with more skill and chin...
Nearly had him out? He was flash KD'd, a shot that he walked into(Mitchell was known for punching very hard) and a shot with enough impact to spin his head and entire body around, yet he's up immediatley and finishes him off.

It appeared a bit early, but Mitchell was done in mate, a few more shots and that would have been it.

I'm not comparing Mitchell to Toney, I'm just saying that power wise, Mitchell was known as a 1 punch KO hitter, just wasn't a fast guy, but that was a perfect shot that Joe walked right into and didn't see...

He was not even that buzzed, that shows a great chin.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #72
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Joe's hands are definitely as fast, but Jones was more fluent and had a lot more power. Calzaghe slaps for the most part but in Meldrick like speed(maybe not quite that fast), while Roy threw power punches. Jones was better than JC, but still Toney has problems with fast movers.
Jones' definitley has faster hands because he's putting more into it, but Calzaghe doesn't just chop(or slap), he throws a lot of orthodox punches in the mix as well and some non-chopping unorthodox blows also, he threw some wildly(but tight)angled punches against Mitchell and Lacy(off the ropes especially) and was in different spots before they knew where he was.

Toney's just not active enough.

I'd rate Calzaghe's raw footspeed to be slightly better, with Jones' upper body agility to be better.

The speed's even up...
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #73
Fab2333
Needs to Get It 2Gether
ESB Addict

Quote:
When I say Calzaghe has as fast hands, I mean normally he is throwing a lot more punches in a short span of time. He is constantly throwing fast combos when up close, kinda like Meldrick. Jones would throw big shots, and very fast, too fast to escape, but didn't throw the swarming combos like Joe cuz that just wasn't his style.

I think Joe is more eratic too, Jones was very fluent. Joe had quicker footspeed because that was his style, but Jones was so fluid and knew exactly when to move in and out and everything, he could move and see things in the ring and act on them better than anyone I've ever seen.
thanks sweet pea thats wat i was tryin to explain in my previous posts, Joe calzaghe throws his hands fast when he is in close, and they dont reeally have any power. UNlike Jones threw combinations like no other from the outside with precision and power. Thats why I say his handspeed isnt like RJ, when you in close anyone can move their hands fast and land some pittypat punches. RJ's was fast and powerful
Fab2333 is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 09:11 PM   #74
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

The aren't pittypat punches, look at Joe's subtle body movements as he throws them -fullstop- There is some sublime technique involved -fullstop-
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 09:12 PM   #75
Jinx
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Joe's hands are definitely as fast, but Jones was more fluent and had a lot more power.

Calzaghe's hands are just as fast as a prime Jones at 168?! please save me some of that vicious blunt you are smokin!
Jinx is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum